Skip to main content

Why do I keep getting this error message when I try to upload my listing to eBay?

"API Error
Either your Description, Location, or Checkout Instructions appear to have Java script in it according to eBay. eBay is very strict about anything that looks like it may be Java script. Try checking your description for parenthesis and try posting without them if they do exist."

http://www.practiceboard.com/?7015022
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Nannysue,

Since your listings are being rejected by eBay and the aforementioned error message is being returned, it is indicative that there is some Javascript code in your listings that is disallowed by eBay policy.

Please file a support request regarding this issue using the appropriate link on our help page, http://www.auctiva.com/free-auction-software-help/help.aspx, and our customer support team will be able to locate and remove the objectionable Javascript that is preventing you from being able to post these items.

-Mike
I looked at the stuff you sent up to practiceboard. The only javascript I see is the popup window for PayPal. This obviously must be the problem. I'd imagine eBay is pretty strict about ANY pop-up javascript windows as they can direct a user off-site.

The obvious solution is to not use the pop-up window. Either just slap a link in for paypal or perhaps do it in Cascading Style Sheet's something like: http://www.brunildo.org/test/CssAbsPop.html
Hi Nannysue,

I previously overlooked the fact that you pasted your description HTML onto the PracticeBoard. The line of code that eBay is rejecting your listings based on is actually the Paypal pop-up Javascript, which is as follows: onclick="javascript:window.open

As "meow" mentioned, if you replace the Paypal pop-up window code with a simple link to Paypal, you should be able to post your listings without making any further changes. The Sellathon counter Javascript is actually in compliance with eBay policy.

-Mike
Last edited by auctivamiked
Thats wiered
I posted an item in the early afternoon & no problem
Now I come to post another item & getting an APi error.
error check says OK..This is the error I'm seeing

eBay has not posted your item due to title, description, and/or eBay policy violation. Please contact Auctiva support for more information on why your listing has failed to post.
Last edited by mel2007
I reported a bug to eBay the other day unrelated to javascript/api errors etc. Eventually however I actually did get to speak to a human being at eBay. He did tell me that engineers are doing work on some of the listing based stuff, about it.

The problem I reported was in regards to Cascading Style Sheets. I made a menu system that uses pure CSS for a flyout menu. The menu worked fine locally in all browsers. When I sent a listing up to eBay it worked in all browsers except MSIE (which about 50% of web users choose as their browser of choice and AOL is also based upon the IE ActiveX control (as is MSIE)).

Something at eBay is causing problems with MSIE CSS munching. I have not had the time to attempt pin it down.

As I suggested to NannySue she could try doing the "popup" in CSS. The question at hand might be (time will tell) is eBay getting more restrictive in usage of javascript/CSS? Furthermore if so, are they more restrictive towards third party vs direct listing?

Your error: "API Error
Either your Description, Location, or Checkout Instructions appear to have Java script in it according to eBay. eBay is very strict about anything that looks like it may be Java script. Try checking your description for parenthesis and try posting without them if they do exist."

--

Note this says "API Error" so eBays Application Programmers Interface is throwing this exception. It'd be interesting to see if you post the auction direct at eBay do you still get the exception.

I understand why eBay would want intercept various javascript and CSS. However, it must be horrible to try and do so! One can embed javascript into HTML and then write said HTML via document.write function of the document object.

Atop this as things evolve in web browsing the so do the various plugin's and virtually every new release of browsers contain more support/functions within objects such as the Document Object.

Whats a document object?

The Document Object is a "Class" that holds all data of the page you are viewing (in laymans terms). It also has functions, such as the Write function which allows for data to be written to the object. For eBay to try and regulate and filter things could end up being extremely problematic for vendors and thus eBay.

IMHO its simply not smart.

I'll tell you why.

By limiting content at the function/data level via programmation ultimately it means the site gets "limited". In other words vendors might not be able to use the latest greatest innovations to sell better, sell more etc. It effectively keeps things back in "age", like their being new electric cars superior in every way... for everyone yet we all get forced to drive gas guzzlers if you will whether we want to or not.

In eBays case it leaves a "door open" for some new venture to hurt them by allowing state of the art lets say.

Rather... eBay should let vendors know, we wont allow this. Period. If you use pop-up's for example to redirect any user off site in any listing we will cancel all listings non-refundable. Should it happen "nn" times, suspension etc.

By really limiting abilities of what can be done to help "Sell" in listings the solution if you will might be worse than the crime per se.
Ok I found my problem
The listing I was having trouble not uploading through the Auctiva program.
So I tried listing it through eBay & this is what it said.
So now I understand.

Attention Seller:

In order to maintain a safe trading environment, selling limits are occasionally placed on accounts listing items that are reportedly favored by counterfeiters. At this time, you are limited in the number of items you can list (or revise) in any 7 day period. If you have any additional questions about this subject, email us at Customer Support.

We sincerely value you as a member of our trading community and look forward to a continued successful relationship.

Click here for a window with eBay's policy on replica or counterfeit items

Click here for more information on limits that may affect your selling activity

Mel

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.