Skip to main content

Reply to ""5 Mistakes That Could Cost You Money""

I agree with Buckarooblue. Most of the items I sell are very small, tiny in fact. I use clean recycled tiny boxes placed in new manilla envelopes to ship my items. Most buyers prefer not to ship priority and with tiny items that weigh 1 to 11 ounces my buyers prefer to ship 1st class and 1st class international. The U.S.P.S. only provides free boxes in larger sizes than I use for priority only.

I did invest in a very good camera with Macro but it is not cost effective to go out and buy special lights to take photos unless you are in the group top selling stores and can afford to spend that kind of money.

I use a flash in darkness. I don't turn on any extra lights just aim and take the photo with a flash unless of course the item has a shiny surface. I use fabric for my backgrounds, nothing with a busy pattern.

I do not agree with the pen theory. You get repeat business if you provide correct and accurate listings and descriptions. I have seen too many businesses give away freebies only to go into debt and close. The idea of having an online store is to make money and in this economic climate most people selling right now are doing so because someone in the household is unemployed.

I feel this might be a good plus if the whole picture economic climate and retail sales were up but you have to be careful once you begin a practice customers will expect it for ever.

These are some of the changes I have made to save $$ my still offering a enjoyable buying experience and many don't cost you a dime:

1). I make my packages fun to open, by that I mean I wrap items in colored tissue that I buy when it is on sale.

2). I have a one day a week shipping day, but should I get a chance to ship early I always take advantage of it and e-mail the buyer a short note that I was able to ship their items early between shifts at work. I let them know I may not always be able to do this but when an opportunity arises I will take advantage of it. They remember this.

3). Anytime I ship anything I put a business card that I have made myself using sheets of cardstock and a little creative effort. You can purchase a ream of cardstock for $10 at any office supply and I just cut them out as I need them.

4). I use the customizable e-mail templates that eBay offers but I tweek them a bit to make them more personalized to my business.

5). I offer most classes of shipping from 1st class on up, as people are pinching pennies now days.

6). Even though I work 5 double shifts a week and 2 single shifts I check my messages twice a day to answer any questions.

Some of your ideas are good but I feel that there are similar, less expensive things you can do in these tough economic times to get the same results.

DJ
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.