Skip to main content

Reply to "Again with late listing"

As a technical geek, maybe I can add some info to help you all understand...since Auctiva doesn't seem to be responding....

When we schedule an auction to post, it gets placed in a special "bucket" on one of Auctiva's servers. The piece of software responsible for handing that bucket over to eBay is SQLServer. SQLServer has a nifty scheduling feature, which allows us programmers to tell it to do things, at a particular time, and then we can walk away, and trust it will indeed get done, at that time.

Well, you can imagine how many of those buckets full of auctions to be handed to eBay, Auctiva has to create. Every minute of every day, SQLServer is handing those big buckets over to eBay, and telling eBay to post this bucket full of auctions.

The problem is, eBay only allows Auctiva to hand over buckets of a certain size. If too many of us jam our auctions in those buckets, the bucket overflows, and Auctiva has to move the overflow, to the next bucket. That's why Auctiva asks us for a window of time that we are willing to post our auctions within.

Bottom line is....I'm not so sure the problems we are all experiencing, is gonna be an easy fix for Auctiva. There's just so many of us, filling up those buckets, that eBay limits the size of. Things spill over to the next bucket, and the next bucket, and here we go, over and over.

Actually, I suspect that this issue will only get worse, as Auctiva's popularity only grows.

Another solution would be for eBay to allow Auctiva to give it larger buckets....but getting eBay to change anything, is pretty remote, since we all know eBay certainly doesn't cater to its user base. eBay limits the bucket size, because they don't want to overload their site. They'd rather limit the auction count, and keep response time high, then to slow down, with too many auctions.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.