Skip to main content

Reply to "Auctiva PLEASE step up"

Hi Taz, where I last worked on a GUI HCI stood for Human Computer Interface where this was the actual layer of software between the application and the user which is what I was referring to.

The HCI as found and redirected within Wikipedia (and most other search results) refers to HCI as ... Interaction is essentially the study of man communicating with machine.

That subtlety aside my point was not so much as whether there were glitches in the GUI or not but whether the GUI was designed with the expectation of the user understanding the structure of the application or not to achieve their goal with it.

Use with knowledge of the structure is very much evident from software development toolsets right through to the most basic user in the Win98/NT Windows environment and in decreasing degrees through XP and Vista.

In other words software engineers used to inadvertently write the GUI from their knowledge rather than the end users, and when you think about the first users were computing engineers and mathematicians.

And yes I agree with you completely, the user has a task to do and expects the computer to simplify and quicken it and should not need to result to computer-ese. Smile
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.