Skip to main content

Reply to "Auctiva--we are looking for a response"

Hi folks

Auctiva has us all thinking that the time to get to their site is not an issue. Well lets assume that's accurate (in fact it may well be most times). Where I believe the slowness happens is in the architecture of the Auctiva system itself. I live in the far North Woods of Maine. My internet is not Broadband rather I bounce a signal to a tower 18 miles away so my performance is a lot faster than dial-up access but slower than DSL service. This allows me to watch web sites load files and such as if things are in slow motion (well for me they are). What I have seen over the year is that Auctiva is very prone to getting out of sync. By that I mean that if one task takes too long to finish a subsequent task may go into n infinite loop "waiting" for the slow task to finish (that means that even after the slow task is finished the next task is thinking its not done yet). I find I can hit Refresh (F5) and things will get done a lot faster than simply waiting. Most times this works okay but depending where you are in the edit process you could loose data. So if you have just tweaked the perfect title or crafted that killer description copy you information to the clipboard and paste it somewhere safe. The reason a refresh sometimes will fix the loop condition is because when refresh is hit a lot of the information had already been accessed by the computer so it can process that task that took forever in a more normal fashion so the next task (the one that just waited forever) can now start and not get "confused". Even if I am mistaken they will need to prove that and by doing that they will find the issue because an issue there is. As I say I'm willing to accept they really don't have a Bandwidth issue or a Server performance issue (one thing perhaps is they may "store" too much data/information) on the local machine (i.e. our machines)) but there is some issue.

There are many potential bottlenecks in the entire process not just how long it takes to get from point A to point B. Believe me, folks here say it takes minutes to list sometimes. Even with my slow internet and using a selective use of the Refresh option it has never come close to that. Once in a while I just walk away because somewhere on the super highway there is a bottleneck. That happens less than once a week and others here have a lot worse issue with response. So anything that is a measure of 10s of seconds or minutes most times is not a router issue (unless one is malfunctioning and I don't think all of these in all of the business have a bad router) but rather an infrastructure issue on Auctiva's end and/or a timing issue with all their functions that need to mesh together like the gears of a a clock (whoops sorry all you digital folks clocks used to have gears). It is not a trivial task but it is a standard task for the certain type of IT person I'm talking about

Sorry just some random thoughts.

Auctiva if I have upset your technicians (by the way I do not like that word as the types of folks I am talking about are not technicians, just like employees are not resources) I have done my task. Now hopefully they will turn over every possibility to PROVE me incorrect. If that turns out to be the result I will apologize and thank them for finding the issue and fixing it. I do not want to leave as I like it here but this is a promise not a threat. If it deteriorates much more I will go somewhere

just my 5 cents worth
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.