Skip to main content

Reply to "Copyright"

Hi ron81,

I'm not trying to argue, nor am I claiming to be an expert. There's no need to - my goal was to give helpful advice to the original poster.

I did not at all say that it was OK to take pictures from the companies website and use them as your own. I agree with you that this is indeed theft, and should not be done.

However, it is perfectly OK to take your own pictures of a branded product, and use them on eBay:

From eBay:

quote:
eBay Guideline:

No Copying Allowed! When you prepare your listings you should use only material (text, photographs, etc.) and trademarks/names that you created or own yourself, or have licensed from the owners.

quote:
eBay Guideline:

No Confusing Listings! If you are selling a brand name product, you can probably show a picture of the product and refer to the company by name, but you cannot do so in such a way that it suggests that your auction is approved, sponsored or endorsed by the manufacturer.

http://pages.ebay.in/help/policies/copyrights.html

So eBay specifically allows this, in most cases. eBay says "probably" to take into account members of VERO who do indeed reserve the right to take down your listing. However, all other instances are perfectly fine.

If the poster is going to be selling a particular product on a regular basis, and he is at all concerned, then he can, by all means, check with the manufacturer, or with eBay to ensure that it is OK to list the item. All other things being equal, however, he is free to take his own pics, and use them to sell his items on eBay.

The UK-IPO website that you reference only refers to photographs that were taken by someone else, not ones that you take yourself.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.