Skip to main content

Reply to "Copyright"

Hi
Sorry for the length of this

I apologise if i was rude,very honoured to have a reply from Nevada though, albeit incorrect

This is what the original poster said

>How can I make it possible to use company logo's of the product we are selling, and place it on our listing? Or maybe even some pictures of the product from the company web site?
Thanks!

Biscuit stated >I think that perhaps when I said "taking pictures", he thought that I meant copying them, or taking them off of a company website

Exactly,I did , as i was answering the question originally put, i also answered the question of logos or trademarks

Again i apologise to biscuit if i was rude, we are all human & make mistakes
Yes i am sorry for that & i make no excuses for doing so, possibly used to the rudeness on many of the community pages on the UK site
Again no excuse

To ninth_wave .Once again i will say , it is illegal to use any companies logo or trade mark, it is also illegal to take pictures from any companines web site, it is theft

You cannot answer only one part of the question asked because it comes in total

Also as i said try to use a Disney product on your page, or MacDoanlds, notr many other companies,the sentence " desend like a ton of bricks come to mind"

I make no excuse for being correct in this matter.

Once again i hear eBay laws quoted, eBay quoted on Guidelines for Creating Legally Compliant Listings

It is said, only Guide lines, possibly a difference on UK law as regards US law, i dont know & dont stay in the USA.

eBay is an Auction company & as such has a grasp of law, that suits them, or applies to them as an auction company, as most auction companies do, as

Recently when a very valuable picture was placed for sale by an auction company, the owner had to fight to prove ownership of it, the company accepted face value, always a dangerous situation.

eBays reply is not authoritive, nor is it a totally correct one legally, it is a guide line , as with everything within eBay, it is up to the VERO or trade mark holder to complain,

eBay does not do this of its own back, nor does eBay police its own site very well

There are thousands of forgeries on eBay, well in the UK in any case, you only have to read the community page to find this out & go though the auctions

I expect now as UK sales do not show up on the UK site so readily, you now have all the chinese [ plus other scammers]we have had for years

eBays answer as re guide lines are exactly that, guide lines.

It would be nearly impossible for them, or a seller to list everything legally about an article

As they say, if you have a suspicion, report it

It is not a definative answer.they are guide lines

That is why forgeres are allowed to be sold on eBay, in great numbers & often their reluctence to remove them, often sold through power sellers as well, i can only quote within the the UK, i do not pretend to have knowledge of the USA nor its laws

I do know however, as the original poster asked, it is illegal to use logs or trade marks without their permission

If you are accepting that it is legal [ this is what the orginal poster asked ] to do so, you do yourself a great injustice

If i have copyright of a picture the copyright is mine to do with as i require, i can ask for it to be removed, i trust you agree with that!

Newpapers pay a annual fee, as do other magazines through a copy right company that allows them access to do so.

Even Churches have to pay a copyright fee on showing hymns on an overhead, on the same basis.

I again say , legally you cannot use anything & every thing YOU want, in the way you want

Every picture on a companies website has an owner, if i take a picture & copyright it, it belongs to me

If i write an article & copyright it, it belongs to me

I would of done all the hard work & preparation, do you really think you have a right to do with it what you want?

You also omitted this information on >eBay Guideline: seeing as you wish to quote them

The fact that material is posted on the Internet does not mean it is in the "public domain" or otherwise free to be taken, copied or used by others. Creators of Internet content probably have copyright, trademark and other rights in the material they create. Copying, modifying and possibly linking to content created by others could expose you to legal liability.

Also >eBay Guideline:
Copying is not permitted: when you prepare your listings you generally should use only material (text, photographs, etc.) and trademarks/names that you created or own yourself or licensed from the owners.

>or licensed from the owners.
and trademarks/names that you created or own yourself or licensed from the owners.

>What is a copyright?
A copyright is the protection given to certain original works of authorship including text, pictures, music, etc. The owner of a copyright holds the exclusive right to duplicate, distribute and create derivative works from his work.
Listings often contain text, photographs and the names/trademarks of companies.
The text and photographs that you create and use in your listings may be protected by copyright laws.

If you copy someone else's listing, or copy text or photographs from any other place (depending upon how much is copied), you may be infringing someone's copyright. They may be able to request the ending of your auction through our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme.

Here are some examples of potentially infringing auctions:

You scan a photograph of Elvis Presley (without permission) to use in a listing in which you are selling an authentic autograph of Elvis Presley

You copy someone else's listing text and (without permission) paste it into your own listing to sell the same item (making slight modifications to the text may not relieve you of liability if it is substantially similar to the original text.)

You copy the URL of a photograph appearing on a golf club manufacturer's website or another member's listing so that the photograph appears in your listing (without permission).

Now read below & see how eBay keep themselves in the clear, especially the word " probably" which really has no basis in law

eBay Guideline:
Make your listings clear: if you're selling a brand-name product, you can probably show a picture of the product and refer to the company by name, but you cannot do so in such a way that it suggests that your listing is approved, sponsored or endorsed by the manufacturer.

Also, you must be careful not to sell products which bear the brand name of a company that didn't make the product.
Now if that is not a conflict of guidelines, what is
May i politely request you read from the following sites
Copyright Licensing Agency (United Kingdom)
The Creators' Copyright Coalition
Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society
UK legislation
Mechanical Copyright Protection Society

I stand by my answer as asked by the original poster
Kind Regards
ron
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.