Skip to main content

Reply to "Danger! Danger! Wildcat sighted on eBay."

quote:
How's the debug going?

Close to putting Beta 1 to codeset-lock and starting Beta 2 changes. The Proof of Concept phase (Beta 1) yielded some interesting findings as well as problems with eBay's current page design, that need consideration for a broader use with Beta 2.

One characteristic of the "box" is it's locked dimensions, e.g. current width is based on an internal 802 pixel width inner core that operates the zoom window. That also dictates the sizes of the left and right inner windows, the mat size for the thumbs, etc. etc. I need to make absolutely sure of that base before I go forward with beta 2 and the other formats (Catwalk and Catalog and more). A common footprint (ur Pawprint Smile ) is essential to keep the integration the same to all the boxes for easy switch-over and operation in the eBay design. Outside the box top banner, upper navigation bar, and left store category rail are essential features to most sellers (especially Powersellers/Stores). The "box" needs to operate in that setting with the limitations of eBay's design as consideration.

Two problems that I know the Auctiva coders and those DIY folks will understand are:

1. eBay is disallowing use of onError in script. That includes onError intercept for images with a preloader. That's for sure happening in the sandbox and has me wondering how many folks with onerror checks are now having code rejects in the main site (if it's there too). Note, onError isn't in the best practices restricted list or anywhere I'm able to find. I could understand their need to block onError use for the document load, but images? Frown That's making an easy check for image load progress or problems a "challenge".

2. eBay's flat page (that's the non-IFRAME, first-visit page) is doing some unusual CSS overrides on the description code, i.e. I'm thinking they created that code with only an IFRAME use in mind and it's now interferring with seller's pagecode. Example: anchored text in the description is mimicking the bottom page links with underscore that only appears with hover. That problem apparently extents to more elements, causing unusual display problems. Checking their stylesheets for interference is taking more time, but necessary.

Danno

Oh....and I've discovered and am documenting one annoying IE8 bug.
Last edited by danno
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.