Skip to main content

Reply to "Danger! Danger! Wildcat sighted on eBay."

Hi Deborah,

Getting very close to a release codeset. Am running tests with MVL now as well as the Sandbox. She just opened a Store, so its been a busy couple of days. eBay changes/delays and problems between different page-looks has further slowed the effort (and I'm not sure they're done yet). Frown

Some changes were specifically targeted to things I know you'd want/need....

tMagic is updated to allow for larger thumbs (up to 96 x 96) with cropping now doing complete fill of the thumb field (no white space). I've added a centering parameter, i.e. when a single row of thumbs doesn't fill, the remaining thumbs center under the view window.

A new feature that I began experimenting with last Fall and ran into some road-blocks with in June and July is now functional. The feature is called virtual-Source Image Access Management (or vSIAM or just SIAM...like short for the cat or twin). And, that play on the Siam-twin is very close to its function. Buckle your Seatbelt as this one is going to probably get attention .....

vSIAM allows you to (currently) store duplicate named (Auctiva image #) images at Photobucket and vSIAM will detect and automatically roll-over to that service as backup on primary (Auctiva) image failures: 1) outage at the Amazon Cloud S3, 2) routing problem from buyer's computer to the S3 service host (ISP problem), 3) accidental deletion or an at-end-of-listing desired deletion to help right-size storage use and lower storage costs without loss of post-listing needs for Feedback or Search (that last one is an obvious new need). I dreamed this one up when Auctiva had the bad weekend outage on the Sunday over a year ago (S3 DOWN). As far as I know, no one has ever attempted listing-side fault tolerant imaging on eBay.

This listing in the Sandbox is a demo of vSIAM. The images were originally stored at Auctiva and then deleted AND PURGED from Auctiva deleted folder, i.e. those images in the listing are vSIAM doing automatic roll-over recovery to photobucket for the originals and thumbs.

http://cgi.sandbox.ebay.com/ws...em&item=110040573284

The zoom viewer is revamped with arrows including hold-down fast changer feature in place of the array of boxes/numbers from beta 1.

I've also added code to allow for a standard integration of a banner within the SophieBox and a Navigation (boogie) bar for links.

Am currenlty alternating between testing and writing documentation and style-guide for SophieBox.

Danno

Oh...and the monochromatic has gotten a styling assist from some research on use of standard and adaptive (red-shifted) grays to give the box a better look.

One more feature of vSIAM...

vSIAM can operate in either hot or cold standby, i.e. you can instruct SophieBox to operate in vSIAM mode and either load the images to backup immediately (hot standby) or load the images when the need arises (cold standby). Cold definitely gives you a "warm feeling" in knowing an accidental deletion has a solution (other than revise listing which isn't always possible or cancellation...ug).

Does vSIAM merit a 10 on the WOW meter? hehe Big Grin
Last edited by danno
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.