Skip to main content

Reply to "eBay New Picture Policies --Spring Seller Update"

Hey folks,

Basically speaking, if it's an eBay hosted image, it needs to be in compliance of their new rules come July.

If you list using a 3rd party tool (such as Auctiva) those images are exempt from most of the new policies, with the exception of the image you use as the "header" image (this is also the thumbnail image that shows up in eBay search results)--those still need to comply with the no borders/text and minimum size requirements. But the images that are down within the template will be fine. You're right itsjustme: these changes are not only to help the "buyer experience" on eBay, it is to help with google search.

One area that you'll need to consider are those optional eBay gallery images that many sellers use (those are the extra 12 images that you can have that appear as small thumbnails below the main header image on the eBay listing.) Those images ARE hosted by eBay (even though they are originally uploaded and hosted here on Auctiva,) so if you use those, they will need to be in compliance of the new rules.

We have no tools that will help users identify whether or not they've added borders to their images or watermarks before uploading them. As for the size requirement--since this is only for the header/gallery image(s) you can check the size by going to your Manage Images page and look at the dimensions of the photo you want to use at the top. The photo only has to be 500 pixels on the longest side, so if your image is 350x500, it will be in compliance. Again, this is only for the top image--not the ones you have down in the listing template.

Current GTC listings aren't being affected by these changes, so don't make any extra work for yourselves by replacing those just yet.

I wish I could offer up more advice, but we weren't given much info on this particular matter before it was announced either. Hopefully I will have some more definitive answers for you by Monday.

Check out The Online Seller for more updates on all the upcoming changes.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.