Skip to main content

Reply to "Free Shipping"

Well, ebay has finally figured out how to kill a free market, by forcing every seller to offer "free" shipping.

Starting in September, ebay is eliminating the shipping insurance option. Sellers will now be responsible for insuring items, which in itself isn't so bad, as far as the philosophy goes, but many sellers will account for the additional expense by adding a handling fee on to their shipping cost.

eBay, however, has figured out a way to punish those sellers, by creating a "Top Seller" status. A "Top Seller" status will "boost" items in the "best match" item search. Any seller not rated as a "Top Seller" will have their items buried in the back pages. This will leave many Power Sellers at the back of the bus, so to speak. They are also going to eliminate the Power Seller icon from all listings.

Top Seller status' little secret is in the DSR's. Any seller who has more than 2 low star ratings in either of the 4 DSR categories, will not qualify for "Top Seller". A low star rating is considered as any rating of either 1 or 2 stars.

I am a SILVER power seller, who charges actual shipping cost with a $1 handling fee for supplies, like bubble wrap, tape, printer paper, packing peanuts and printer ink. I checked my status to see if I qualify for "Top Seller" and was shocked to see I have had 6 low star ratings, over the past 300+ feedbacks, all in "Shipping & Handling Charges".

What number do you think that will go to once I start adding shipping insurance to the shipping cost?

So, now I have to offer "free" shipping, if I ever want any buyers to see what I am selling, and start my items at a higher insertion price....wait....that means a higher eBay insertion fee...well that is certainly a coincidence.

My hats off to you eBay. You truly have figured out how to screw your customers, and squeeze a few more pennies out of those who have turned to you to help them put food on their table in this horrible economy.

I guess there truly is no such thing as "FREE".
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.