Skip to main content

Reply to ""Getting the Feedback You Deserve""

I am making the move to my own website due to ebay and their feedback system. It is just a bunch of bull. I have read somewhere that, even if you do everything perfect, from start to finish, you still have little chance of getting 5 stars. Reason being - ebay has not properly put forth how damaging a 4 star is to the seller. In the buyer's mind, 4 is just as good as 5. And not everything is perfect. I spend ALOT of time in front of my computer. As soon as I get a sale, I get it ready. I have to drive to the post office charging only $1.05 (actual cost). So, as long as I get an order by 3:30, I can ship the same day. I answer emails just about right after the buyer hits send. But, across the board, I have 4.8.

I send a flyer with all my packages. Another seller gave it to me and encourages all sellers to make it their own.

Understanding eBay's New Feedback System

Did You Know?

If a seller receives more than a few Detailed Seller Ratings of less than 5 star, then they will be significantly penalized.

The Internet Merchants Association wants you to know this before you leave feedback for a seller.

You may think that you are leaving a reasonable rating by giving a seller DSR's of 4 star's, but eBay's feedback
system treats anything less than a 5 eBay feedback star's as sub-standard and penalizes sellers for DSR ratings that average under 4.60.

It would be normal for a buyer to assume that a rating of 4 star's is a good rating for the seller.

Unfortunately, the reality is that any rating lower than 5 star's can have a significant negative impact on sellers and the eBay community as a whole because eBay has structured the system to reward sellers with over a 4.5 average, and to penalize sellers with under a 4.5 average.

Yet from the wording of the allowed ratings a buyer would never know this and most would naturally assume that a 4 star rating is a very good rating. After all, staying in a 4 star resort is considered to be very good in the real world and 5 star resorts are rare (and extremely expensive).

If a seller has a 4.6 or lower rating, eBay will penalize that seller by charging them higher fees, and disadvantaging that seller’s items in search.

What does this mean to you, as a buyer?

Unfortunately, what this can mean is higher prices. The more fees eBay sellers pay, the more they must charge for their items. When a seller’s items are disadvantaged in search, sales slow and prices increase.

Sellers understand they must earn your positive feedback and want to hear from you if you feel that the transaction was less than a positive experience. We strongly encourage you to email the seller with any problem and allow them the opportunity to resolve your issue. The IMA believes that people are basically good and that most problems can be worked out amicably between the two parties.

A Note about the Two Shipping Stars:

Shipping and handling charges are the only star rating you know at the time of purchase, as the charges are specified upfront. It should be noted that sellers have little or no control over what the shipping carriers charge for transporting items. Some very large companies receive large discounts on shipping, but very few eBay sellers receive discounts. Please keep in mind that there is really no such thing as free shipping. It is paid to the shipping company by the seller, who must then incorporate this cost into their prices. Since the buyer is aware of the shipping and handling charges before purchasing the item, the most important points to consider when leaving a star rating for Shipping and Handling Charges are not the actual charges, but the following:

Did the seller:

1. Quote the shipping price in the original auction listing?
2. Ship using the method stated in the auction?
3. Pack the shipment safely, using appropriate packing materials?
4. Charge a reasonable shipping price, compared to other online sellers?

The answers to these questions should guide you toward the correct star rating.

Important Points to Consider when leaving a Star Rating for Shipping Time:

The most important consideration for the Shipping Time star is when was the item actually shipped, not when was the item delivered. This is particularly true for International orders, which are often delayed by Customs or Postal Inspectors upon entry into your country. You can easily assess when the package was shipped by the postmark or other similar date marking, and rate the seller based on this date, not the overall delivery date. If you require your item be expedited, we recommend contacting your seller before issuing payment. In many cases they can offer overnight or expedited shipping at an additional cost.

Final Comments:

Leaving a neutral or negative feedback, or leaving DSR scores of less than 5, is not the best way to get a seller to fix a problem since these ratings currently cannot be removed or changed. Once they are left, eBay recalculates the feedback percentage that represent this seller's reputation. Again, if you are having difficulties with the item you received, please give the seller the chance to make things right before leaving neutral or negative feedback, or a lower than 5 DSR rating.

Thanks for your kind patience & understanding. Once your item arrives in satisfactory condition, please leave positive feedback for us. We will do the same for you. Any problem, please feel free to contact us, we will try our best to resolve it.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.