Skip to main content

Reply to "Hi Danno! Would like your expertise!"

Good Morning Deb,

I checked your listings this morning and found 330344301979 with the new template. I see the 1st image is a little distorted and checked its saved dimensions. It's saved at 672H x 334W (2:1 spec), so I assume that image was cropped at that odd setting (similar to discussion that started this thread).

Visual problems, I only see a slight drift in the center area that has it not aligned with the right side of the upper banner. I'll have to check code and the model's stats image to see if there is something pushing it wide. eBay has also changed (again) what they are using in the New Design. They've gone back to an undimensioned table and added a division in the table cell to encapsulate seller's code. That's causing the background gray surrounding the template to collapse to the minimum I set in the code of 10 pixels. That can be easily widened (can add something like 50+ pixels to left and right) or the background removed entirely. At this point, your needs with Store design and possible inclusion of left rail Store Categories boxes etc. are next considerations.

The code appears to work fine; just needs the touch-ups and any design fixes for next steps in your thinking.

SophieBox is both a design concept (the traditional web design "presentation box") and an a set of ideas to 1) improve on current display methods with ON PAGE features (like zoom) and functions, 2) improve seller productivity with labor-saving technology, and 3) cost-saving concepts and methods. eBay has made the site far less profitable with the constant changes, higher fees, and reduced traffic (alienation of buyers that includes dropped-out community of sellers). I decided a year ago that the changes were going to be more than "disruptive" and possibily the beginning of the end of the eBay era. I know You are selling at more than eBay. Many are finding there is a (better) life and market by using eBay as a last consideration instead of first choice for selling. BTW...I'm a "Community" supporter, not a basher or anti-eBay. Bad management practices and decisions come and GO in any company. It's the seller community that made eBay to bring the buyers, not the other way around. That's why I decided to stop selling and switch to helping the Community. I saw no future in the collectibles market on eBay, and my forcast of spin-down in that area appears to have been on target and will continue (IMO).

I have at least three designs I'm currently working to beta 1) Wildcat Edition for general-purpose use, 2) Catwalk Edition for the "portrait" market (like the clothing sellers that I've adopted), and 3) Catalog Edition for those with massive collections/lots with need for hundreds/thousands of pictures per listing.

Wildcat just completed final checkout in the Sandbox and will hopefully move to active listing in the next few weeks with a beta-1 release. I already have some planned improvements and a possible 2nd beta prior to any commercial release. eBay's and Auctiva's changes are driving my concept models and changes.

Catwalk (not the simple test code you previously saw) is planned for video add-ins (option).

If I can get viable commercial products, I will open an Auctiva Store for sales.

I'm also working on some simple freebe codesets to give some traction and insentives. For instance, here's a codeset that does the mouseover trick with NO SCRIPTING and protects the pictures with a method I'm calling "Prowler Guard". Go ahead, try to save the pics or thumbs using the right-mouse click and save in this test....I double-cat dare you...hehe Big Grin

http://PracticeWriter.com/?619E4

Danno

Update: I checked the new listing with Firefox and Safari (just had time earlier for an IE view). With Firefox 3.5, eBay appears to be operating with NO IFRAME and the gray background is very nice across the page (looks good). With Safari 4.02 they not only are using the IFRAME page with the undimensioned table, BUT the IFRAME appears to be automatically creating a 2nd vertical scrollbar on all listings (double-ug!). UNBELIEVABLE Eek that this is somehow an improvement for buyers. If I were a Safari (Mac, IPhone, IPod Touch) user, I wouldn't spend 10 minutes with this mess. That's "today's" report and is different than I saw just a few days ago. Apparently, there is still no stability in eBaynia.

Oh....and that PowerSeller icon needs to be saved and moved to your account for use, instead of the ClixTrix library at Photobucket.

Update2: Wow! I guess eBay is really having problems, as I'm now back to seeing the old classic page design.
Last edited by danno
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.