Skip to main content

Reply to "Image Borders & Supersize Questions"

Hi,

Yes, I know about the IFRAME. In fact, I did a full series of listing tests at the eBay Developer's sandbox early last fall on the yellow design and came back with recommendations that I "was" going to post here ("incoming" Eek ). That is, until I saw how bad it was performing and some inside tips that they'd exhausted their budget on consultants trying to get that thing to work (old yellow version). I believe that's why they backed-off and came out with this latest version (#3 by my count). I didn't want to motivate folks to change (even though eBay made the suggestion on the developer's site), when I felt the design was flawed and probably wouldn't be used (at least at that point in time and with that inception).

The "crunch" you're seeing is due to their use of an undimensioned table (or at least that was the case when I last looked at the old yellow and the new monochromatic-gray versions). If you check the source in the IFRAME (right click within the FRAME), you should see a centered table with no width dimension (or cellpadding and spacing...what a waste of space) that encapsulates your description code. The work-around is to create an element that's got the width necessary to support a template background. Note, 100% won't work, as the parent eBay table has no dimension, i.e. 100% of zero is still zero. Roll Eyes

There are a few tricks I've tested, including dimensioning the undimensioned table with correct detection (that IFRAME is there) and some simple script. Note, eBay may show both IFRAME and non-IFRAME versions to buyers, i.e. a NOSCRIPT buyer doesn't see the IFRAME version.

The undimensioned table problem is why I've moved to static dimensioning to best operate for the needed crunch-free design aesthetics and load of the IFRAME. A slow-load of pictures without dimensional "bracing" can also cause an IFRAME collapse misfire and scrollbars....UG! Frown

Danno
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.