Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this really worth the hassle?"

quote:
Auctiva's editor isnt some piece of crap editor like ebays where my 5 yr old child could make a listing with no features. This editor here is excellent and has awsome features and you have to learn to use it.

I beg to differ Westvatexan. It appears that the editor is awesome but there are flaws. The problems I outlined in my original post did not occur prior to the latest round of upgrades made to the site. And regardless of what you have running in the background, which nearly every PC made has things running in the background, a WYSIWYG editor should not be changing the fonts, text and formatting that was entered in it simply by doing a preview.

Based on my testing of different ways to enter the data over the past week I feel it IS a problem in the editor. For example, I can write up a listing in Word, cut and paste it into the Auctiva editor, save the listing and preview it from the saved listings screen and it will look great. But, if I dare go into edit mode and make a change within the editor and do a preview from the editor it ends up a mess. This tells me that there is a problem inherent in the editor. What it is, I have no idea. Perhaps the custom template I use is confusing it. But custom templates are a big feature on Auctiva. They shouldn't cause a problem. Then there is the issue of arbitrary HTML code showing up in the text after doing a preview. Many here have experienced that including myself. I go in and clean it all out and bam, it's back again after doing a preview.

If someone can tell me conclusively that my background apps, like anti-virus or firewall, are making this thing take a dump then I don't think I should have to reconfigure my system to make a text editor work properly. Imagine if Microsoft Word had this problem. Type up a 20 page document, hit preview and bam, everything is changed. Do you think they would get away with telling the user to shut off everything that is running on the system? I don't think so.

In any event, I think I have developed a procedure that eases the pain of the editor and image hosting issues. It doesn't take much more time to accomplish the same task and I feel much more at ease knowing things won't disappear or change themselves with the click of a button.

Good discussion on this topic though.

Rob
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.