Skip to main content

Reply to "Pet Peeve: When buyers try to force Paypal on me."

When eBay merchants talk about Paypal fees, they often forget, the entire fee is not going to Paypal, a larger portion of that fee is going to the credit card company.

I have a brick and mortar store and to be able to accept credit cards in my store, along with every other merchant in my city, I need the equipment and the account. The equipment has to be leased, thats $35 a month. Paypal charges no monthly fee. Then I have to do X amount of sales through the machine as part of the contract or make up the difference in money out of my bank. Paypal has no minimum amount. Then I get charged a fee per transaction. Just the same as Paypal but the machine is 5 cents more. Then I have to pay a percentage of the entire sale. Which is at a slightly lower rate than Paypal.

And thats not the end of it. If a customer does a chargeback, I have no dispute because it matters not what the fine print says, there is the cover their butt clause which means signature or not, they are going to side with the customer so the customer will keep the card and go out and spend more money. After all, its costing them nothing. The money is coming out of my account and I am the one that is out the merchandise.

Paypal does offer Sellers Protection. If you ship within 7 days to the address of record on the transaction details page (if eiligible) and with Delivery Confirmation, a chargeback by the customer will be automatically denied by Paypal. Most of the chargebacks you hear about were from sellers too lazy or too silly not to read the user agreement and use DC. Try taking a credit card in your store over the phone and shipping the item and dispute a chargeback. Credit card company is not even going to take your call.

Given the service Paypal offers for as cheap as it does, I honestly cannot see what eBay sellers have to complain about. They evidentally have never done any real selling in the real world.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.