Skip to main content

Reply to "Practiceboard Links- Please Help with My Custom Template"

Hi!

Sorry Kolstrom I am not familiar with its shopping cart addition... the last version of Fusion I used frequently was version 8. I then went to Frontpage 2002 due to some tools that worked well between FP 2002 and Visual Studio (Microsofts software engineering platform). Then a few years back now I did some work for a firm in Ohio who bought the entire Dreamweaver suite and had just no clue about well... it and then some... they wanted an Intranet. In any event, we made a deal so I did what the contract was and they gave me the Dreamweaver Suite for $0. So now I pretty much use it for base web work. I use Visual Studio 2005 (again Microsofts complete development environment) much more often than I do "web work".

In regards to shopping cart packages myriads of them exist. I've never used Zen or Agora for example which are both free. I used OSCommerce years ago and its a powerhouse and free albeit complex for what our needs were. I've used Miva which again is another powerhouse with considerable overkill for what are needs were.

How does a merchant know which cart to go with would be a good question. Lots of places have reviews of eCommerce packages and of course they all try and vye for your cash and/or usage.

You'll find VERY few unbiased reviews and somewhat worse yet most reviews are done by people who are not actively engaged in ecommerce. There's alot of that in todays web. That is to say operations who "know whats best" for merchants when in fact they dont sell anything accept services to merchants!

In my experience its important that a merchant realize what their needs are and what directions they wish to go. In other words am I happy with my one ecommerce store? Do I plan on trying to grow business or am I happy with where I am at? Do I want good search engine ranking? Do I have a base skill set of web page design? How do I plan to drive traffic in? Do I want manage my own show or have it all done by a service (be that a host provider or something like Auctiva). I can go on and on with what a merchant need consider before really selecting a eCommerce package.

Its like anything else in life that'd be long term. You dont just purchase say a furnace from a street vendor because he says its good and will last long.

With that said, our firm has been kicking around the idea of entering the eCommerce storefront software business for a few years now.

We actually have defined what we feel is the optimal eCommerce solution for small/medium sized businesses both existing on the web and not. Simply put presently it does not exist. That is to say there is no cart/service that we are aware of that comes close to what we have defined. So we'll see where it goes... We are looking at creating it over this winter if we decide "Lets do it".
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.