Skip to main content

Reply to "Protecting listing description text..."

You can use a variety of different NO RIGHT CLICK scripts to disable people's ability to right click on your text/auction descriptions. I use scripts from DynamicDrive.com, which are free. All you have to do is find the script you want, then copy and paste it into the appropriate part of your page or html document (either the <HEAD> or the <BODY>Wink.

Here's a NO RIGHT CLICK script that I use on my website, which is filled with copyrighted pictures and text. If you are familiar with html, this should be pasted into the <BODY> section of your page. If you're not familiar with html, scroll down for how to add the script to an eBay listing.

//Disable right click script III- By Renigade (renigade@mediaone.net)
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="";
///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
function clickNS(e) {if
(document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
if (document.layers)
{document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
// -->
</script>

To use the script in an eBay auction:

1. Post your auction to eBay
2. Go to the auction page and click on REVISE YOUR LISTING
3. Go to EDIT DESCRIPTION
4. Open the ENTER YOUR OWN HTML view of the description
5. Copy and paste the entire script code shown above into the very first line of the description window

I'm pretty certain you could also add this script in when creating your listing through Auctiva, but I don't actually use their listing tool except to create a template that I then tweak in Front Page, or vice versa.

The script shown above causes a pop up box that says "function disabled." There are alternate versions of the NO RIGHT CLICK script that simply disable the function without generating any type of message to notify someone why they can't get their right click (COPY) commands menu to appear.

Anytime you use a free script, it's good etiquette to include the source and author info (which doesn't show up on your page, only in your source code). If you're using the script on a webpage, you should give credit -- with a link to the source site -- on every page where the script is used.

There's a very simple META TAG that can be used to disable the Internet Explorer Image Tool Bar (which also enables people to copy items from your page). META TAGS go in the <HEAD> portion of your page code, and I don't think you can access that portion of the code on your auction pages. Here's the tag, in case you'd like to use it on a webpage:

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no">

Final thought ... for super-easy html help, try this site: www.lissaexplains.com

It was written by a kid (though she's getting older, just like the rest of us) for other kids and is VERY simple and straightforward. If you're new to webpage creation -- or if you simply need a fast reference page on how to do certain things -- this is an excellent resource.

Victoria Red Face)

www.kinderkorner.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Victoria-Claire-Wholesale
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.