Skip to main content

Reply to "<sigh>.. should have seen this coming.."

That's what I thought.. thanks; but I don't really want to WITHDRAW the listing, merely revise it and add some of my terms at the top of the decription. That's a good idea about giving in and revealing the reserve a few days into the auction though.. I think I'll do that.

As for why a reserve..
I don't like people who discuss personal problems on the internet.. but you asked. I am 50 years old. My mother is 81. I have been collecting "vintage" video games for some 10 years now and amassed quite a collection. It represents a LOT of work (researching, locating, buying.. etc.). Recently my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and while she has refused to be treated for it.. she needs help with the bills. I have decided to sell off most of my collection to help her. The retro-videogame market is a "flakey" one. Games that are valued at $100.. may go for $120 one day.. then $20 the next week. I have never used the reserve system in all of my 8 years on eB.. but I can't afford to let this lot go for $100 (111 games and some hardware, estimated value of $3000) to some kid in Pakipsee who's waiting for his paper-route money to come in.. simply because no one was paying attention this week.. or cared.

I realize that a reserve may "turn off' some bidders (It never has me.. in the past.. personally.. I've never seen what the BIG deal is. I bid my max on a reserve and if that doesn't cut it.. move on.) but that's the chance I have to take with this auction. If this lot goes.. good.. I'll owe eB a chunk of $ in FVFs; but if it doesn't.. I'll STILL owe eB a chunk of $ as well. Starting an auction's opening bid at my desired reserve and NOT reserving it.. would cost me even more in the end. The object of this auction is to make money.. not give the stuff away to a reseller.

My collection was always bought for posterity.. for myself.. therefore when I bid on this stuff.. I didn't necessarily try to "score" the best deal I could everytime (I also work for a living and don't have time to "snipe".). As it stands right now.. I'm losing tons of money the last few months over what I paid for this stuff. I NEVER intended to become primarily a seller on eB.. the bulk of my 750+ positives over the year are for me as a buyer; but this is an important cause to me.. and I can't afford to throw caution to the wind and list this lot without a reserve.

While I have been selling individual items the last four months.. time is getting short for my mom and I'd like to do something "nice" for her before she passes on (She likes to gamble.. so perhaps a little trip to Reno before she can't walk anymore.). So now I'm trying to sell everything off in much bigger lots. Hope this explains my situation.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.