Skip to main content

Reply to ""What's eBay Like for Buyers These Days""

quote:
Originally posted by OOAJ:
Perhaps Ebay should clean up the rampant issues
like Chinese sellers who are selling counterfeit coins (and notably ruining the US coin market) as well as other fraud such as producing counterfeit collectibles before they focus on these more mundane issues.
If Ebay could get a grip on the dishonesty of some MAJOR sellers from foreign countries
and actually respond to sellers issues with real people, (not autobot messages),perhaps the TRUST might come back.
Don't let the mandatory Paypal MONOPOLY fool you! Since Ebay OWNS Paypal, for every transaction done through Paypal, ebay makes money. People have been using checks and money orders for years with no problems. If ebay wanted to stem fraud in this arena, then they would require a large deposit through Paypal that would deter check and money order fruad.
If you wanted to write a check or money order to pat for an auction, you could only write it for the amount up to the amount of your deposit. This $ would not be removable until all transactions were complete and valid. For larger amounts, Paypal would be exclusively required. Ebay is good for the buyers right now partially because of the economy, but also because the majority of sellers have left because of ebays continued CHANGE, greedy policies, only looking out for their stock price, and general disrespect for the seller.
Less poeple bidding and less people are seling.
I have noticed a significant difference since ebay has decided to "enforce" it's polices. People just don't want to put up with the BS anymore and be jacked around by a company that won't even help them when they have issues.
Just my 4 cents worth.

OOAJ, I'm not sure if it was the switch requiring FeeBay/PayUSMOREPal for payment processing or the fact that sellers were restricted from leaving negative feedback. But, since the middle of last year my unpaid items have gone up by about 300%. Before eBay started making changes to the feedback and payment process I very rarely had an unpaid item (maybe 1-2 every couple of months), and now I can count on at least 20% of my sales going unpaid. As to the other counterfeit collectibles that are coming out of China. I sell swords, daggers, knives, etc... and when I first started on eBay I tried to stay with strictly high-end swords and licensed replicas. I was getting my but kicked by all of the chinese reproductions of the licensed replicas that I listed and no matter how much I reported these listings eBay never did anything about the sellers that were listing them. I eventually stopped listing the licensed replicas on eBay, I do not list the reproductions either, but I am left with listing higher end hand forged handmade swords and general production style swords. But I do strongly agree that with all of the unlicensed reproductions on eBay there is very little exposure for the real licensed replicas and that eBay should work on cleaning up the counterfeits rather than bashing the majority of the sellers for what they allow their major sellers to get away with.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.