Skip to main content

Reply to ""Why 60% of eBay Auctions Don't End in Sales""

Every article or post like this tends to over simplify or generalize conditions, results, items and strategies. Forgetting about that for now, I would like to know using the mostly $10 "one of a kind" type items, exactly how much does Ms. Dralle make per item on average and how does that work out on an hourly basis? What did she pay for these items? $1 to $5? My experience is that people don't pay much more for an item on eBay than at a garage sale especially when you factor in postage. But let's assume that the seller pays $5 for the item and sells it for $10. Take off your selling fees and you are at about $9. So you made $4. So, what is your time worth? Let's use $10/hr (about $20,000/year) which is low but let's use it. How many of you can post about 9 items an hour assuming a 40% sell rate? This would include taking and editing pictures, writing a description and maybe doing a little research. I am not but you should factor in packing materials and time to pack. The number simply don’t add up for me. I can see where you can increase your income by working more hours but I just cannot see how anyone could possibly be making $10 per hour selling $10 items.

It would be hard to disagree with eclecticoldsod’s approach but whatever time Ms. Dralle is spending on posting her auctions, I am sure he is spending at least three times longer posting an item. Even with a 95% sell through more time devoted to selling sounds like a bigger losing proposition to me.

It baffles me completely how eBay has increased its fees over the years and still stays viable as a marketplace for people trying to make a living selling on eBay. I guess there is no end to the number of people that think that eBay will work for them. Most sellers that were making a living on eBay are long gone.

F.Y.I. For me at times when I sell, eBay has always been and still serves as a glorified yard sale and though prices have fallen dramatically you can usually dump things quick. Great prices if you’re a buyer though the honesty and professionalism of the sellers on eBay now is a far cry from those selling 5 years ago or so!
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.