Skip to main content

Most of my photos are larger on the vertical, if I upload at a height of 600px I get a distortion in my pictures after Auctiva has resized. If I size the image myself in photoshop there is no distortion but then I can't offer the client a way to view the super size picture. Detail is very important in some of my listings so I need to offer the super, but I feel that the client will be discouraged from my listing if their 1st impression is a distorted image. Is there anyway to solve this issue? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi, is it colour or shape distortion you are experiencing I usually find it is colour when it does happen.

I suspect you are not shrinking the image in jpg format within Photoshop so it looks better there. If you are not process the image in Photoshops's own format and save in jpg. and upload to Auctiva.

Most items I list are in portrait and are processed in jpg from my little camera, upload at 768px high and display ok.

Distortion is defininatly a problem when a jpg format image is shrunk, but at 600px high it would not have been shrunk in supersize mode, in the default listing size of 400x300 maximum view yes.
Last edited by choochooguy
Hi thanks so much for your time. My camera automatically saves my images in jpg format so at least that shouldn't be an issue.

Most of my photos have been fine with the compression but I have a handful of items where it has been really frustrating to try and get a decent image to show on the listing.

Guess it sounds like I'll just have to live with it though, or perhaps use a different image host for those specific items?

Thanks again for your time and for trying to help me out Smile
Hi, some items can be difficult regardless of the host, fringing effects when taking pictures of stripey garments, certain colours, I always found bright red to be worst.

Just always upload at the maximum resolution you want the item to be seen at, no larger, wastes time and means that your jpg images are processed twice which certainly increases the likelyhood of colour distortion.

Consider that eBay will squeeze the image down to 400x300 for the standard listing picture and more so for the header and gallery if selected then the choice of host is irrlevent.

Supersizing by Auctiva is free, expensive with eBay, I would experiment a bit more and stay with Auctiva as the picture host to reap the financial benefits, and it gets rather messy using multuiple hosts

Good luck Smile
Hi, no wonder you are having fun, well I can give you a couple of tips.

I had a severe fringing effect with a jacket I sold for my wife.

A way of getting over fringing with something like houndstooth and the like is to change the density of the fabric pattern relative to the camera's sensor array (basically the component behind the lens which converts light to electrical signals).

As you cannot change either what I did was photograph the jacket from nearly 3m away and zoom in with camera and the effect was significantly reduced.

Alternatively take the picture at high resolution (again from a distance) and zoom and crop down with your favourite photo processing software.

With a little experimentation you can find what works for you and your camera. Smile

P.S. sorry I prefer to stay anonymous Wink
G'day,

My 2pence/cents worth.
My photo's are sometimes ridiculous sizes in their original state; anything from 2mb to 49mb.

I retouch them in Photoshop, save the original off in Photoshop's own format, then watermark the photo. After that I do a 50% reduction cutting the file size way down, and save as a .jpg file which is then used for the supersized and thumbnail images. I also save the image with the ratio locked and using the, 'bicubic' setting which keeps everything in proportion.

As far as I know there are no problems for people who then view the altered images. (I do state that the image is a degraded one)

K.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.