Skip to main content

Can anyone help? I recently listed an item in my Store & it has a HUGE blank space just after my description & long before my image appears. Can someone plese take a look at item #370139034814 so you see what I'm talking about? I had a conversation with eBay Customer Support via Live Help & they claim it has something to do with the html within Auctiva. In their words, they said "Auctiva has the html wrong".........which certainly didn't help me fix it because they couldn't tell me WHICH html needs to be corrected. G-rrrr! Any ideas???
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ducky...do you mean you CANNOT see a huge area of BLANK white space AFTER my description (in grey table/box), after my Auctiva Scrolling Gallery & after the Sellathon Counter thingy?...

(like a zillion times MORE blank space than what I've indicated here)

......but BEFORE my larger picture??? & payment & shipping details, blah, blah???

You see nothing wrong???---why did eBay see my problem then???? I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused.
Hi,

I'm not seeing any major white-space gaps at 1152 x 864 monitor res on vertical placements. I dropped my res to 1024 x 768 and do see that the description section (now an IFRAME) is wide, causing the page to be out of alignment. However, it appears the Store banner may be the cause of that problem.

I have to look at the IFRAME and Main Page as separate code pieces, so it's not as simple as the old classic page.

Hmmmm......I do see the Auctiva Scrolling Gallery between the dark gray description block and the single bottom picture. Looks normal from my view.

I've check with both IE7 and Firefox. Other than the wide-page IFRAME problem, not seeing anything else.

Danno

Edit: I just rechecked, and the wide-page problem may only be with Firefox.....and that might be one of the eBay browser IFRAME bugs.
Yep, that's what I see too.

Hmmmm.....this makes me think eBay may still be playing around with alternative page designs and the IFRAME on other than the main site.

Where exactly is/was the "gap", i.e. what's just above and below? If it's above the gray horizontal line, that should be part of the IFRAME.

Anyone else seeing the right-side vertical blue border-line break and pushed right from the store banner down? If so, which browser and monitor res are you using?

Danno
Last edited by danno
Thanks everyone for your assistance. The issue has been resolved. I sent an Auctiva Support message & they suggested clearing my Cache which I did a hundred times with no effect. What was strange was that the eBay LIVE HELP support guy saw the gap & the gap also appeared on Hubbsy's computer too, but my brother in CA could NOT see a gap just as some of you could not see it. Then this morning, the gap disappeared so I am quite sure it had to be a temporary eBay problem. The gap was located just under the Sellathon counter. Also, it was as if the page never finished loading because it said "waiting for blah, blah" down at the bottom". At any rate, it's fixed now & I am one happy gal. THANKS AGAIN!
Whats the deal with this problem. I am having the EXACT same problem on EVERY new listing that I make. Does this just take time to fix? If I delete the auctiva scrolling gallery code then it fixes it, no more white space.

Here is an example of several listings I am having this problem with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...ESELX%3AIT&viewitem=

But it does it on every single NEW listing!
Hi Sturdybuilt,

Again, I'm not seeing the gap permanently on my check of your page. However, I do occassionally see the page on slow load not complete its collapse of the page frame for a short delay....and that is IFRAME issue. I can tell it's an IFRAME by right-mouse click and properties on the description section. You'll see the link for the page is to the new domain for IFRAME pages vi.ebaydesc.com host. The ebaydesc domain is where they are hosting the descriptions loaded into the IFRAME. Do that check outside the description section, and you'll see it's the old ebay.com domain.

This is an EBAY PROBLEM with IFRAME. Get ready folks, they are going to move it to the main site shortly with the new listing page design rollout that's been in beta for months. Eek

Danno

Edit: This BLOG entry on September 26th at the eBay Developers site will cast some light on the subject. Note, the "Extra Whitespace" part of the discussion.

http://developer.ebay.com/community/blog/article/?categ...ract.html#Scrollbars
Last edited by danno
Here are a few other listings that have it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...IT&item=350159329138

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...IT&item=350159319222

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...IT&item=350159259262

I have looked at these listings on 4 other computers, and cleared the cache but I see the same thing. The blank space is maybe about 2 feet long? You have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll to get down to the shipping information.

Now, if I delete the html code for the auctiva scrolling gallery the problem goes away (but I also loose the gallery of course).

On all of the computers that I have tried it appears that the page never fully loads no matter how long you let it sit for. It always says it has 1 item remaining. I have let them load for over an hour but the page never fully loads. I am using verizon fios for internet connection.

I am not sure what to do? I wonder how many people see it the way I am, and how many see it the way you do.

I can get around it if I delete the auctiva scrolling gallery, but I really do not want to do that. And, I dont understand why just a few of us are having these problems but not everyone? I am listing the same way I always have, but now I have these problems.
quote:
It always says it has 1 item remaining.

I can only reassure you that they are loading OK for me using IE7 on XP on cable ISP. However, that "1 item" failing to load does explain why the IFRAME Javascript is failing to complete and resize the frame.

Having items slow or delay load over the Internet isn't unusual, which makes a design not taking the factor into consideration a....? Well, you now understand why I nominated the new design for the 2008 "Rube Goldberg" award in webpage design. Roll Eyes I guess I'm just to common sense thinking in my design tastes. Wink

I am curious what that "1 item" is that's failing to load.

Danno

Edit: Well, if I'm not mistaken, it's failing to load that FREE AUCTIVA image and link that's typically directly under the Scrolling Gallery. At least it's consistent on all the listing links you posted. One of Jeff's folks should look at the IFRAME source code for you. Did you do any editing or cut and paste of the code? Something just doesn't look correct. Confused Oh, the prior posted image in the thread has that image and link just above the Sellathon Counter, so it's not consistent with that prior post. That's actually a Shockwave....interesting.
Last edited by danno
Auctiva Folks,

Does location.href operating inside an IFRAME have problems? If so, the passparaSC function tied to that Shockwave script might be the load issue.

Danno

Edit: The page does load correctly including the missing Shockwave with the Firefox browser. Is this possibly an IE7 limitation for location.href failing in an IFRAME?
Last edited by danno
Update:

I took that section of code that encompasses the Scrolling Gallery and the FREE AUCTIVA image and link (a separate Shockwave) to my code analyzer.

What I discoverd is an apparent bug in the code. The specific code bug is in the url passed as parameter for the swf file at Auctiva as follows:

This is normal code....

document.writeln('<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://asw.auctiva.com/swtag.swf">');

This is the buggy code with incomplete URL....

document.writeln('<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="swtag.swf">');

That's at least one problem with the code. Unclear if my prior thoughts on IFRAME and location.href are involved, as "quirks" may be involved with that DOM reference.

You could simply delete the code that follows the Scrolling Gallery code to correct the problem. The Scrolling Gallery code begins and ends with <!--ASW--> as demarcs. The code section with the problem begins with <DIV align=center> and ends with </DIV> to encompass that box for the Shockwave scripts.

Danno
Last edited by danno

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.