Skip to main content

This from my TAGnotes Auction Guild newsletter

EBAY SELLS SELLER INFO BACK TO THE SELLERS

Just in case you haven't noticed (and yes we predicted they would do this), since last winter, ebaY, who used to say they just did not have the room on their servers to provide 90 days of completed search to sellers and buyers, now has found the room on their servers. The snag is that you have to pay to access this information. Smart business, many would say, but TAG thinks this is taking information that belongs to
a seller, and using that info for profit, without permission.

If ebaY is just a venue, they are selling something they don't really own.
http://pages.ebay.com/marketplace_research/

Discuss,
Donna
eCommerce Sellers Motivators "We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? But actually, who are you NOT to be?" Marianne Williamson
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was looking at that yesterday myself Donna. Three options to choose from..all cost more than they are worth..lol. The first option can be done for free through looking at completed items..unless im mistaken, completed auction remain listed for 60 days anyway..except the images. Ive only been selling on ebay for almost 3 yrs and im still waiting for them to come out with a tool that is actually useful. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Westvatexan:
I was looking at that yesterday myself Donna. Three options to choose from..all cost more than they are worth..lol. The first option can be done for free through looking at completed items..unless im mistaken, completed auction remain listed for 60 days anyway..except the images. Ive only been selling on ebay for almost 3 yrs and im still waiting for them to come out with a tool that is actually useful. Smile

I use the 'completed listings' to do research as well. I just finished researching a vintage Pucci shirt. eBay is going to do whatever it is that's best for eBay. They are a monopoly. They are king. Until, another mega corp (Google) comes up to them and pushes them off the hill, we as sellers must use whatever is available and adapt to the constant changes.
It is the 'current' nature of the eBay beast. However, nothing remains the same.

Change is on the horizon.
Magie Noire said:

It is the 'current' nature of the eBay beast. However, nothing remains the same.

-------------------------------------------------

This is the one thing we flexible sellers have in advantage over "Meg a bite", is the ability to roll with the inevitable changes. If you notice they are actually happening faster now. The net is getting faster (I have a new 2.5gig computer this week, old was 1 gig).

You do have to hand it to "Meg a bite" though. Heres a woman no different that any other woman. Starts a little auction business on her computer and turns it into a billion dollar empire. What impresses me, is that she still sits in on the big quarterly phone conferences with the biggest stock brokerages and still holds the reins on the whole package called ebay. We are at her mercy coming and going in this business.

However she is at the mercy of other big corps., that want a slice of her pie and are pressing in on ebay action. She has 652,000,000 pages called ebay on the www. and these generate auto income for her. I wonder how many pages Southernjewl has on the www. So then it becomes incumbent to keep generating pages on the www. and get that income increase from hits and purchases. Or set up your own "redundant" source of income.
quote:
Originally posted by Daddyo:
Magie Noire said:

-------------------------------------------------

This is the one thing we flexible sellers have in advantage over "Meg a bite", is the ability to roll with the inevitable changes. If you notice they are actually happening faster now. The net is getting faster (I have a new 2.5gig computer this week, old was 1 gig).

You do have to hand it to "Meg a bite" though. Heres a woman no different that any other woman. Starts a little auction business on her computer and turns it into a billion dollar empire. What impresses me, is that she still sits in on the big quarterly phone conferences with the biggest stock brokerages and still holds the reins on the whole package called ebay. We are at her mercy coming and going in this business.

However she is at the mercy of other big corps., that want a slice of her pie and are pressing in on ebay action. She has 652,000,000 pages called ebay on the www. and these generate auto income for her. I wonder how many pages Southernjewl has on the www. So then it becomes incumbent to keep generating pages on the www. and get that income increase from hits and purchases. Or set up your own "redundant" source of income.

eBay like many a greedy corporations has overinflated its value / stock. So, they must then fill in the gap between revenue wishful thinking and reality. eBay sellers are the coal that's burned when the winter of Meg's discontent presents itself every quarter. What's wrong with a company being realistic (honest) about growth expectations? This is an alien concept in the business world. Hence, the projected earnings growth mantra of double speak and hype.
quote:
Originally posted by Westvatexan:

I could be wrong, but I believe completed auction info is only available for the past 10 days, unless you happen to know the item number. I just did a search on a couple items and the oldest date I could pull up was July 9th.

I'm not sure how I feel about this feature. What Fatman says makes sense, but like others have said, it's basically our info they're selling back to us.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.