Skip to main content

I'm going to sell antiques. Obviously I'm going to use variable rate shipping. But Auctiva's "Rate Table" makes little (if any) sense.

It wants to know:

Min Max Rate Percent

How on earth am I able to determine those factors before I even list a product for sale? Are there any other antique dealers or anyone dealing in miscellaneous merchandise that might be able to shed some light on this?? Should I be going with fixed Shipping instead of Variable Shipping?? This all seems so confusing. I mean it's only shipping, but it really is becoming rather complicated.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very, very grateful. Thanks so much!

Ryan
Yore Antiques
yoreantiques.auctivacommerce.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also had some shipping problems..No: a stop me in may tracks shipping problems..I got some help early this morning about how to work things out.(read HELP for warehouses tutorial set up) What I did was set up different warhouses numbers/names with prefixed shipping amounts. I then used those different shipping warehouse prices for my inventory. Say, in may case, I need to ship an item, which I advertize with a price of shipping $25.00. In the inventory set up that item was assigned to the warehouse with set up for the $25.00 an stocked that item to that warehouse. Another item I ship is $35.00 I assigned that item to the $35.00 warehouse number an so on.You can set up any number of warehouses. Now when a customer buys an item it will show only the shipping charge for the warehouse it is assigned to. What got me to try to find a better way was with the items I sell, a customer may purchase two items with one having a shipping cost lower than the second item, since the customer chooses the shipping method he wants, you know he's going to pick the lowest, and I loose. I tested it with the items I sell. First I only loaded two different items to inventory which will ship at a different cost. I set warehouse 1 with one price and set warehouse 2 with another shipping price,etc assigned the item to the warehouse one item to each. Now I tested: When I purchased the one item the shipping was correct, purchased the other shipping was correct, purchased both items at one time it showed two shipping cost to the customer. Customer could not choose. Both added to invoice. Hope this makes sense, it took me awhile to get it to sink in. I tested and it worked perfect, at least for me..

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

http://rvcoolingunit.auctivacommerce.com
quote:
Originally posted by dforce1:
I also had some shipping problems..No: a stop me in may tracks shipping problems..I got some help early this morning about how to work things out.(read HELP for warehouses tutorial set up) What I did was set up different warhouses numbers/names with prefixed shipping amounts. I then used those different shipping warehouse prices for my inventory. Say, in may case, I need to ship an item, which I advertize with a price of shipping $25.00. In the inventory set up that item was assigned to the warehouse with set up for the $25.00 an stocked that item to that warehouse. Another item I ship is $35.00 I assigned that item to the $35.00 warehouse number an so on.You can set up any number of warehouses. Now when a customer buys an item it will show only the shipping charge for the warehouse it is assigned to. What got me to try to find a better way was with the items I sell, a customer may purchase two items with one having a shipping cost lower than the second item, since the customer chooses the shipping method he wants, you know he's going to pick the lowest, and I loose. I tested it with the items I sell. First I only loaded two different items to inventory which will ship at a different cost. I set warehouse 1 with one price and set warehouse 2 with another shipping price,etc assigned the item to the warehouse one item to each. Now I tested: When I purchased the one item the shipping was correct, purchased the other shipping was correct, purchased both items at one time it showed two shipping cost to the customer. Customer could not choose. Both added to invoice. Hope this makes sense, it took me awhile to get it to sink in. I tested and it worked perfect, at least for me..

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

http://rvcoolingunit.auctivacommerce.com

I am glad that it made sense to you!!! Once you "get it" it is relatively easy.
quote:
Originally posted by Yore Antiques:
I'm going to sell antiques. Obviously I'm going to use variable rate shipping. But Auctiva's "Rate Table" makes little (if any) sense.

It wants to know:

Min Max Rate Percent

How on earth am I able to determine those factors before I even list a product for sale? Are there any other antique dealers or anyone dealing in miscellaneous merchandise that might be able to shed some light on this?? Should I be going with fixed Shipping instead of Variable Shipping?? This all seems so confusing. I mean it's only shipping, but it really is becoming rather complicated.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very, very grateful. Thanks so much!

Ryan
Yore Antiques
yoreantiques.auctivacommerce.com

I followed someone's advice I got late last week. I sell different types of items that are various sizes and various weights. Flat rate didn't make sense for my items, so I set up USPS shipping based off weight. For my first min, I put .01, for my max, I put 1 (as in .01 pounds and one pound). Then I put in the price for that based off the zip code (I used different zones for different states). The next line I put in 1.1 min and 2 max and the cost and so on. I did this for my Priority Mail items. The easiest is 1st class since anywhere in the US it costs the same under 13oz. For that one, I did .01 min and .06 for max (basically one ounce and under) and entered the price. The next one I did .07 min and .12 for max (just over one ounce to about two ounces). I wrote down these numbers so that I would know if an item I had weighed five ounces what number to put in for the weight. Hopefully this isn't confusing you---I tried to read through dforce1's response and got confused! I guess because I did it a different way, I didn't get it...This is the way I've heard several people are doing their shipping since most of us use USPS.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.