Skip to main content

If you are in PA and do consignment listings you are required to have an auctioneering license! This is so messed up. Mad I do a small amount of consignments and cannot afford to have this hassle!This headline was in my local paper yesterday!" E-Bay traders warned they need a Pa. auctioneer’s license"
AP http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/32465.html?isap=1&nav=757
Anyone else in PA please contact your legislators and voice your opinion on this. I have already done so. If this happens in PA where will they do it next? Red Face
ACTION NEEDED HERE!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is from auctionbytes April 23 rd
quote:

"Pennsylvania Latest Battleground in eBay Consignment-Sales Regulation"

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m04/i23/s02

This is from Call 4 Action: E-Bay Traders Warned They Need Pa. Auctioneer's License

POSTED: 3:42 pm EST November 19, 2007
UPDATED: 5:12 pm EST November 19, 2007 http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/14641439/detail.html
quote:

"The bureaucracy, and those special interests that are encouraging the bureaucracy, are lacking in common sense," Wonderling said.

"That is silly if that is the law," said Gov. Ed Rendell. "We should change it. I do not want Pennsylvanians to be handicapped and not be able to sell on eBay when people in West Virginia can."

Even the Governor thinks it is stupid
quote:
The rule applies only to people who sell merchandise for others through a site, not people selling their own goods. Getting such a license requires serving an apprenticeship with an auctioneer or taking college auctioneering courses - and people risk a $1,000 fine if they do not comply.

O.K. So, establish a limited partnership with each former client. Pay $.02 per item, of your own money, to insure that you have ownership. Keep selling.
Yes you are right 8880 and the thing that stinks is too many feel it is not their problem and the BUREAUCRACY is right!
quote:
First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Pastor Martin Niemöller

Please follow the link and voice your opinion in this forum. URGENT!PA sellers may need Auctioneering license!Where next?
This is something that has broad implications for all of us. Not just PA residents but everyone who has aspirations of being an independent TAXPAYING business person
I'd read up on the law to be exactly sure but, if it is as it is simply stated in the report, ownership is what it is. I think you should pay your $.02 prior to the item being acquired so that it can be clear that you actually purchased it. I think that it really is important that you have a partnership agreement of some type with your clients. Nothing complex but, it would need to state that you pay for (some or all) items with common ownership. If the client wants to own a common item completely, for whatever reason, the client should have to buy your $.02 ownership. The Small Business Admin. should be able to give you a chance to chat with a lawyer for free in a class type setting.

Also, I wouldn't collect $.02 from the clients on sold items. I'd do $.07 or something. You'll have items that do not sell that you paid $.02 for and you don't want to make an easy trace of funds that can be used to challenge your ownership.

Countermeasures are always cheaper and easier than the measures they defeat.
Last edited by isdaman

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.