Skip to main content

I shipped a package off and did a check shipment on it through PayPal. Here is the message copy/pasted from USPS:

Label/Receipt Number: (XXXXXXXXXXtook out receipt number for safety here)

We attempted to deliver your item at 9:34 AM on July 11, 2007 in PHELAN, CA 92371 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

It wasn't to be signed for. I thought the post office just left the package at their door/porch/etc. if no-one is home. I sent the buyer a message with a copy of this message in case they didn't get the notice. Is this common practice? Wow, what if it comes back! If I had to pay for it to be shipped again, I wouldn't make a dime from the auction. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It happens a lot, mate. Chances are, they'll attempt to redeliver it. The notice should have been left in your buyer's mailbox, so there's a great chance he/she saw it and perhaps went to claim it at the PO. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

If indeed it does come back to you, I don't know what to tell you. I believe that the buyer has a certain obligation to accept the package once it arrives (as silly as it sounds to actually say this). If they're not around to accept the package, what are you supposed to do?

BTW, they're also not going to just leave a package on their doorstep (or at least they SHOULDN'T) if you used delivery confirmation. That's why they left a notice, not because it needed to be signed for.

Hope this helps.

~Kyle
quote:
Originally posted by GrayCat2007:
BTW, they're also not going to just leave a package on their doorstep (or at least they SHOULDN'T) if you used delivery confirmation. That's why they left a notice, not because it needed to be signed for.

Delivery Confirmation does not require a signature. It's only a "delivery" confirmation. Yes, they will leave it on your doorstep (unless insured).

SIGNATURE Confirmation will require you to sign for it, so if you're not home, they won't leave it, and you'll either have to go fetch it at the PO counter or make plans for redelivery.
are you sure that was USPS, or UPS, because from my experince USPS leave it and someone picks it up and I never get my package, I personally prefer being left the notice, if it cant fit in the mail. That way I know im going to get my mail, and be self assured that no one can come along and pick it up.

Also as Rick said some post office branches want(I live one of those), and some will(I use to live in one of those, out of the two prefer the last, as I live in an apartment, and they will leave it in the hall. Since i lived in this area I have lost alot of packages.
Last edited by tty2k7winkelstorecom
Sorry to drag up old news! But when you sign up for USPS service it asks on your application what you want them to do w/ packages if you aren't at home (leave at door, leave notice, etc) OR I would think that if there isn't some kind of protection from the weather they may not leave it at all. Depends on how kind hearted your carrier is Smile Sometimes I get packages left here, and if the weather is bad my carrier takes them back to the PO!

Just my $0.02

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.