Skip to main content

With all due respect, the 35mb limit on uploading images seems a bit dated. I see a forum message from 2009 that refers to the limit. Isn't it time to bump it up, maybe to 100mb or more? If there is a valid reason to have such a limit, I am certain it could be dealt with programmatically. In other words, have the program break the batch into 35mb batches and handle them with condition checking, pausing or whatever is necessary between the smaller batches. As it is now, you have to find out what the last file uploaded and then go to another page and find the next file. Oh -- and I have to re-select the target folder every time I do this. Please take the burden off the user and update/improve the upload function.

ADDENDUM: I curse Auctiva every single time I upload images. I upload 200 to 300 images at a time and I ALWAYS get the 35 mb limit message. I'd like my batch of images to be uploaded unattended.

If I still get this message when I go over the free image hosting limit, I'll be PISSED!!! How hard is it to change '35' to '100' or '200'? Can Auctiva's system really not handle the load? Do I have to switch to self-hosting?

Thanks.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I'd also love to have the limit adjusted upward. I also upload 200-300 images, sometimes up to 400 images at a time, and if I want to have higher resolution photos for my listings I can only upload 6-8 at a time. Safe to say when you're uploading 6-8 images at a time and you have 350 images in total to upload, it takes some serious time to complete the task. On my last batch of photos I dropped the resolution but, with the 35mb limit, it still took me 17 separate uploads. Thanks!
Ed,

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate your input! I'm using a Canon Rebel XSi for all my product photos. The second lowest resolution I find on the Quality/Image Size section of the menu is 3.4M 2256x1504 with a max 1967 pics per my camera's digital card. The next time I take pictures I'll take it down to the lowest setting (it's still displayed as 3.4M 2256x1504) but it now allows for 4134 pictures max to be taken per my memory card. I'll repost my findings when I take more product pics.
Last edited by thecollectiblescafe
or you can do what I do. I take the pictures at the cameras highest resolution (so I can capture all the detail I can) and then edit them in PICASA 3 (its a GOOGLE product and free plus its easy to use) and export them to a size of 1200 pixels on the largest side. I find that size seems to work well on eBay with the zoom. Now I'm taking pictures of jewelry so perhaps your pictures might be better exported to a larger or smaller size although going much smaller and the Zoom feature won't work on eBay.
Similarly to Ed, I take the pictures at high resolution, then I resize them using software. I read somewhere that it's better to do this than to take the pictures at a lower resolution. I don't need huge pictures but I prefer my eBay images to be square. First I resize them to 1280 x 960 (?), then I crop them with a 1:1 ratio. Since I'm working in Linux, I use Digikam up to this point. Next, I use Picasa to 'straighten' some of the pics. This allows you to make images look more level. I also rename the files in Picasa. Without renaming, I wouldn't be able to find the correct files for each listing. When I'm done, I resize again to 600 x 600. I sell records -- I take pictures of the labels with different settings (zoom, distance, light compensation, etc.) than the covers. It's the label photos that often require straightening. After all this work, which can take an entire day, I don't want to do a tedious upload. 35 MB just seems like such a small limit to impose.

Cheers,

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by HudsonRecords:
With all due respect, the 35mb limit on uploading images seems a bit dated. I see a forum message from 2009 that refers to the limit. Isn't it time to bump it up, maybe to 100mb or more? If there is a valid reason.....

There's nothing preventing someone from opening more browser windows and uploading concurrent batches (other than that it's annoying). The 35MB limitation makes absolutely no sense. Is it simply that Auctiva can't change it because it doesn't have the source code for the java-based upload dialog? I believe this because it just seems like such a no-brainer, otherwise.
Hi HudsonRecords,

Unfortunately there will be an upload image limit put back in place shortly. We left it off while working out the kinks with the new image uploader, and we will have to add it back.

The good news is that we are increasing the size from 35MB to 50MB, so that should help when uploading large batches. We would love to not have a cap, but you can imagine the headaches it would raise if tens of thousands of users were all uploading huge batches at the same time--we're just trying to prevent those bottlenecks from happening.

Thanks for your understanding,

Rebecca
at the risk of starting an issue which is not intoned I am curious how many pictures you would like to upload at once. My pictures average around 400k per picture so the 35 meg limil would be approximately 80 pictures. I size the pictures before I upload them so Auctiva doesn't have to, in the hopes it speeds up the upload because of my ISP. I size them so my longest side is 1200.
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Rebecca:
Hi HudsonRecords,

Unfortunately there will be an upload image limit put back in place shortly. We left it off while working out the kinks with the new image uploader, and we will have to add it back.

The good news is that we are increasing the size from 35MB to 50MB, so that should help when uploading large batches. We would love to not have a cap, but you can imagine the headaches it would raise if tens of thousands of users were all uploading huge batches at the same time--we're just trying to prevent those bottlenecks from happening.

Thanks for your understanding,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your message. I like the new image upload interface. At least it remembers the target folder between uploads. I still run into the limit wall on occasion. I think if the limit were doubled to 70 MB, that would be enough.

I can think of a few of better ways to address potential bottlenecks:

1. Have the upload program insert a 30 second pause every 50 MB. So instead of showing the user a message that the next file can't be uploaded, pause and continue when the current batch is done.
2. Instead of un-selecting the remaining files, display a 'Continue?' dialog when the current batch is done.
3. Increase the limit when traffic is low. If users know there's no limit or a higher limit during off-peak times, they may be compelled to upload during those times, thereby helping to balancing the load overall. When someone hits the limit, display a message telling them this.

In my opinion, with all due respect, the goal here should be to make the bottleneck Auctiva's problem, not the customer's.

Best regards,

Steve

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.