Skip to main content

Scenario:

A while ago, someone broke into my car and took a CD. That was all. Big whoop. No damage to my car, and I even found the CD in my neighbor's yard. So there was no loss. I called the police, and they came out and took fingerprints.

Last night, my husbands new bike was stolen. They had to move my bike and several things from our porch to get at his bike, so I thought they might be able to get a good print. They also left bike tracks all the way from our porch to a garage in our condo complex.

We called the police and they are doing (essentially) nothing because the bike isn't worth much - only $250. I gave the report over the phone and they wouldn't even come over to our place.

I'm guessing this must have something to do with the resources and the money/time for them to take and analyze fingerprints and come to our place to look at the bike tracks.

But I'm confused as to why they would use the resources for my no-loss car "vandalism", but not for the bike. Can anyone help me understand this situation?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

maybe there's been a rash of car break-ins and theyre focusing on a particular group of suspects? could be that they even have some suspects and just need the evidence to nail 'em.

also car insurance would probably require the police report. but maybe homeowner's insurance might not need it to cover bike?

course, homeowners insurance sometimes covers car break-ins too.
quote:
maybe there's been a rash of car break-ins and theyre focusing on a particular group of suspects? could be that they even have some suspects and just need the evidence to nail 'em.

Yeah, maybe it's something like that. There's lots of stuff they won't necessarily go out for (like you say, resources) so I was really surprised to read that they took prints for a stolen CD (that was already recovered!). But they must've had some other reason.

If the tracks to that garage seemed pretty clear have you talked to the property manager?
Thanks for your input guys.

Ugh, this morning someone came to our door looking to buy something that we don't sell, if you know what I mean. Looking at the bright side - we are moving cross country in a few weeks and this is certainly making it easier for us to leave.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Bradford:

If the tracks to that garage seemed pretty clear have you talked to the property manager?

Yeah, I'm going to call them as soon as the open this morning. (Mondays start at noon for this company... wouldn't that be nice if it were that way everywhere!)
quote:
Originally posted by cakethings:
Thanks for your input guys.

Ugh, this morning someone came to our door looking to buy something that we don't sell, if you know what I mean. Looking at the bright side - we are moving cross country in a few weeks and this is certainly making it easier for us to leave.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Bradford:

Yeah, I'm going to call them as soon as the open this morning. (Mondays start at noon for this company... wouldn't that be nice if it were that way everywhere!)

Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Where ya moving?

Take care, Donna
Someone came to your house looking for something you don't sell?

Considering everything that has transpired, my feelings are this person is casing your home. Perhaps, to see if anyone is home in the day. Could just be a coincidence, then again, maybe not. Make sure you tell the police this.

Also, make sure your home/renters insurance is paid up to date. Don't leave anything out and make sure your locks are all good ones. One last thing, if I don't know someone and they knock on my door, I don't even answer it. Heck, if someone I do know knocks on my door with an unexpected visit, I rarely answer my door. Unless I'm available and want company.

I hope this all works out for you. Keep us updated.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.