Skip to main content

Just curious how many of you charge a handling fee on your auctions and if you think it affects your DSR for shipping charges, even when it clearly states in the listing the handling fee amount. All these fee increases are killing me, as I am one of those "flea market" sellers offering estate items for sale, (I greatly resent this, as this is the main reason I shop on eBay, not to purchase new items from Sears, but to find unique used items!) Many of my auctions start at $9.99 and the eBay and PayPal fees are over $2.00. Subtract what you paid for item and profit is minimal. I'm beginning to wonder if selling on eBay is worth my time! I sure would appreciate some discussion on this issue!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I understand what you are saying. I don't use the Handling charges because I charge $4.70 in shipping as I use insurance and delivery confirmation. Between the increases in Ebay fees and paypal fees. I am barley making anything on each product.

It is a no win situation If you use it your sellers rating goes down and if you don't use it you make even less money.
Oh yes, I also charge handling. (You ARE allowed to) Smile But I'm lucky, because my items almost always weigh 13 oz. or less, so I can mail them first class. So if I add on a little for handling my shipping price is still quite low. But I still have to buy my poly mailers, baggies for the items, shipping labels, print thank you notes, etc. so I have to add handling or I would end up eating the shipping cost every time. I can go through an ink cartridge pretty fast and you know how expensive they are Smile
Choo is right, you have to cover your own costs...
Hi JeanieB, Choo, PJ, and of course Missy!
Sorry! Somewhat off-topic here..but Missy mentioned print-cartridge expense, and I can't help myself (hypnotized by your eyes!)

Just in case anyone is still paying thru the nose for ink-carts ~ I have a blatant plug for a wonderful source. I've used em for years, they're out of Phoenix AZ and no..I'm not affiliated in any way (Just as a hugely satisfied customer). I'll state up front that not everyone will benefit as much as I do (depends on the make/model of printer)...but it's definitely worth checking them out. Google Abacus Ink.

Example: For one of the printers I have to maintain, the difference in cost to me is approx. 75% savings over locally available carts. Overall, I achieve an average of about 65-70% savings (over about 11 different printers). Over the past several years, I've researched and replaced several printers with different makes&models just to take advantage of the low-priced cartridges. Haven't had any 3rd-party-ink-related problems that I can remember (over an estimated 200+ replacement cartridges)...and Yes, I have experience with printer repair. Again...sorry for the off-topic post but Choo & Missy mentioned covering 'seller's-costs'. zeb Smile
Regarding covering costs, which includes minimising them Smile ink cartridges for labelling and mailshots does need including.

I use third party ones from a UK supplier (as I am UK ) and they are cheap and reliable and I genearlly end up buying once a year when they have special offers which makes them even cheaper. A lot of scaremongering is made by printer manufactures who probably sell their printers at a loss and make all the money on cartridges.

If one cartridge is duff so what so much cheaper and my old printer keeps on going !

This is similar to cell phones, sell at loss with connection/pay as you go options and recover the cost quickly from the average user. And even quicker from the text and chatter addicted Smile

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.