Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

As you may be aware, due to eBay's recent change to their link policy we had to remove the supersized image links from listings. Since then, we've been working on a replacement feature so that you can continue to provide supersized images for your buyers.

I'm glad to announce supersized images are back for the majority of our Templates! We will be updating the remainder of our templates to have this same functionality in the near future, however if you'd like to start creating listings with supersized images now you can by choosing one of the following templates:

These templates have the new supersized image functionality enabled today:
Alligator, American Pride, Antique Clock, Antique Flowers, Antiques, Aqua Ripple, Aquarium, Arcade Machine, Art Nouveau, Art Tease, ArtDeco, Artistic Flowers, Asian Bloom, Bamboo, Bamboo Parchment, Basic Blue, Basic Boxes, Black and Tan, Blue Planet, Blue Sky, Bookcase, Books, Business, Butterflies, Camo, Camping, Chrome, Circles, Clean, Clear Sky, Coastal, Collectibles, Color, Colorful Pattern, Colorful Squares, Comic Book, Country Kitchen, Country Lane, Curly Copper, December Snowflakes, Diamonds, Eco, Fairies, Fall, Field, Field of Sunflowers, Flames, Floral, Floral Silhouettes, Forest, Fresh Line Spring, Golden Dots, Gray Diamond, Gray Floral, Green Leaves, Halloween Graveyard, Home and Garden, Jewelry, Jewelry & Watches, Kitchen, Lavender, Lilies, Lone Tree, Magic Green Stars, Misty, Music Notes, Nature, Nautical, Palm Beach, Pastel , Pastel Halloween, Plain White, Professional, Rainbow Field, Red Honeycombs, Rose, Rustic, Scary Pumpkins, Scroll, September Fall, Simple, Simply Black and White, Smart Handhelds, Space, Sports, Spring Ladybug, Streamline Deco, Summer Sunset, Sunflower, Sunset, Tool Wall, Toys & Hobbies, Train, Tyres, Vintage Art, Vintage Border, Vintage Cars, Vintage Military, Violets, Vivid Lilies, Water Lilies, Water Waves, Wedding Day, White Wildflowers, Wild Flowers, Wooden, Happy Easter, Easter Vibes, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Celebrating Moms, St. Patrick's Day, Lucky

I want to thank you all for your patience while we work on the new supersized image feature and apologize for the inconvenience. Once supersized images are available for all templates I'll be sure to let you all know.

If you have any questions about this just let me know, I'm glad to help.

Happy selling,
Natasha

Product Manager

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Larry,

Good question and thanks for reaching out to me! Because of eBay's recent change to their link policy, external links are no longer allowed in item descriptions. This made the old Auctiva Supersized Image page obsolete––so in order to continue providing this feature we enhanced our Listing Templates to support Supersized Images without using links.

For you and others who do not want to use any Listing Template designs but still want Supersized Images I recommend using the "Plain White" Listing Template. This is a simple white template that looks like you're not using one at all but still allows you to use Super Sized Images and arrange them in the format you like best.

I'm sorry if this has caused any inconveniences but I hope this solution works for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sincerely,
Natasha
The plain white is close but it looks like the editing options are limited to where to place the images in the template. If I could get rid of the giant title that is centered at the top and the "Description" header it might work. Any chance we could have one that would be totally blank except for the image(s) utility?
Hello again

Yes you can get rid of the giant title and the "description" header. You'll have to create a custom template, but once you do that it will be available for all listings going forward. Here are some step by step directions that will help you get this set up:

1. Go to the Auctiva Custom Template page.
2. Search for the "Plain white" template
3. Click on the Template & select the "Layout" you want to use
4. Then choose "24" images in the drop down (If your listing doesn't actually have 24 images, the template will default to the number of images uploaded to the listing––selecting "24" here just allows you to add up to 24 images.)
5. Then click "Select"
6. On this next page, highlight and delete the text "[TITLE]"
7. Also, delete the other bolded titles for "Description", "Payment", "Shipping", "Terms of Sale" and "About Us" and "Contact Us" (but leave the text in the [ brackets ] as this is how we apply your description to the listing.
8. Give the template a name and click "Save As New"

Then when you go to create a listing, just click on the "Custom" tab in the "Select Template" window, and you'll be able to apply this Template to your listing and it will only show your images, and item description.

Again, let me know if you have any other questions I'm always glad to help.

Sincerely,
Natasha
Hi Guys,

I have changed to using the Plain White template. Photos appear fine on my listings when viewed on a PC.
The photos in the description section are set to horizontal scrolling.
When viewed on a phone, it only shows the first photo without the ability to scroll.
Which photo option would be recommended for viewing through the eBay app / mobile browser?
Hello eparts4yourcar -

We are not aware of any issues with the Plain White template and images and when I test this template with a newly posted listing I am unable to reproduce an issue with the images scrolling (the scroll is a bit different on a mobile device, tapping the arrows transitions the images) when I view them in the full item description of the eBay app. In a quick review of your active listings, I was unable to locate one that was using a template other than one of your custom templates, so if you are running into this issue with a particular listing that uses the Plain White template, please file a support case from under the Help tab of the site letting us know what you are encountering and a sample listing or two that displays this so we can have a further look into it.

I did check some of the most recently posted items using the custom template and found that the scrolling was operating as expected in the item description area - the main images changed accordingly when I tapped on the smaller images from the description area, so it is unclear what may be occurring for you or if there is a chance it is device specific. If you are reviewing the listings on the full item description page and are not able to have the images change accordingly, please do file a support case and let us know which listings are affected and which device you are using when you run into this so we can take a look.

- Craig
I'm having an issue with image enlargement involving the new templates. An example is Ebay item #192318667194. The photo as shown on the top left corner of the auction is fine. The photo as shown in the description is fine. However, when the photo is clicked on to enlarge it, it crops off the bottom and sides of the photo. This appears to be an issue that occurs with every auction I have that only includes (1) photo in the auction. If the auction contains more than 1 photo, the enlargement process happens just fine. I need help on this immediately. Thank you.
Hello BookCaptiol,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you have encountered on your listings that contain only a single image. I've reviewed the listing you mention and find that you are correct, there is an issue with the supersize image not fully showing the image - that the image is larger than the display area for it. I did some investigation with some other postings and this does not seem to be an issue solely related to the single image in the listing, but when the image layout "Paired Top" is selected and there is only one image in the listing this occurs. I was able to post using the same template without that image layout and a single image without this issue occurring.

As such, I have created a work ticket for our engineers for this issue and will update this thread when we have more information regarding this issue available. I have am also responding to your support case regarding this issue, in a bit more detail.

Thanks,
Craig
Hello again,
you can continue using the Paired Top layout when you have more than one image in the listing and it should not be an issue for you.

As for whether or not this will resolve your already active listings, I am unable to say for certain until there is a resolution, but as that code (the HTML for your listing) is already up on eBay, it is unlikely to resolve it for already active listings, but we'll let you know when we have more information available.

Thanks,
Craig
Hello again,

I am following up here to let you know that our engineers were able to resolve the issue with the Paired Top layout for listings posted going forward. Unfortunately, as the data that was sent up to eBay when the listings were posted did not include this fix, those items will still be affected, but any newly posted listing should not encounter this trouble.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

- Craig
Hello dz302 -

Unfortunately not - if you mean the images in question to be loaded to the templates and have the ability to supersize. If you wish to include images in your listing that are at the original size that do not supersize you can use the Insert An Auctiva Hosted Image tool in the description editor on the lister page (it is just beneath the Bold button) to add images at full size to your descriptions. Note that once you have added an image in the description editor, you can click on it to then be able to adjust the size it displays at within your description.

If you have any questions about this process or run into any difficulty, please feel free to file a support case from under the Help tab of the site letting us know where you run into trouble and we'll be happy to assist you further.

- Craig
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Craig:
Hello dz302 -

Unfortunately not - if you mean the images in question to be loaded to the templates and have the ability to supersize. If you wish to include images in your listing that are at the original size that do not supersize you can use the Insert An Auctiva Hosted Image tool in the description editor on the lister page (it is just beneath the Bold button) to add images at full size to your descriptions. Note that once you have added an image in the description editor, you can click on it to then be able to adjust the size it displays at within your description.

If you have any questions about this process or run into any difficulty, please feel free to file a support case from under the Help tab of the site letting us know where you run into trouble and we'll be happy to assist you further.

- Craig

Is there a specific reason the Auctiva chooses to make the template images so small? Images are what sell products. I can't comprehend why they would make this decision unless it's due to some system limitation or constraint.
Hello again,

Please understand that there are technical limitations in order to remain compliant with all of the recent changes to eBay policy and to avoid issues which cause some displays of listings to require the use of a side to side scrollbar. If you wish to include images within the description area of a listing that are of a differing size than the versions in the Auctiva Image Selection area of the listing creation page, please feel free to make use of the Insert an Auctiva Hosted Image tool within the description editor, where you can use the originally uploaded image size or modify the size to suit your needs.

- Craig
Hello hkharris -

We are not aware of any issues that would cause images to appear distorted when enlarged on a listing page.

It is possible that, if your uploaded images are smaller than the supersize window that they become enlarged to suit the window and if they are sufficiently small, this could cause some pixelation of the image when supersized.

We typically recommend using images 1280 x 1024 - 1920 x 1440 px.

If the issue persists, please let us know a few sample items where this is occurring in a support case so we can take a look into it.

- Craig

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.