Skip to main content

Hi,
I'm new and having trouble with my first time working with html. I'm trying to create a custom template, and per your instructions, included the practiceboard URL below. When you (hopefully)help me through this, I'd like to know how I can include a piece of (free) clipart I got got from the Internet. Like a lot of newcomers, I'm embaressed to be so thick-headed. Thank you for being here...

http://www.practiceboard.com/?4759583
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know you say you are new to this...so let me tell you upfront that what you've got so far on the Practice board web site isn't even HTML...

So...my suggestions are that you do a Google search for a site that gives you an HTML Tutorial and you read through that...

Then, after you've spent some time with that...maybe a good next step would be to USE an existing template here and make your own listing. Then SAVE that and get the HTML from that saved listing and Paste it into PracticeBoard so that you can see what real HTML looks like...

Then you can mess around with changing the HTML you got from here so you can see the effects of the changes that you make...

That'd be the way I'd suggest you get started...

Or...just pay someone to make a Custom Template for you...

Mike
Mike, thanks for your suggestions, I found your response to be pretty motivating to not be so ignorant in this area. Would you please check out http://www.practiceboard.com/?4766972
and let me know how I'm doing? I keep trying to include a thumbnail image (free) that I've downloaded from Google, with the html that I put on Notepad and it's not happening...do I do that there or when it's on Auctiva? Also, how do I make sure the template is the right size for Auctiva? Thank you.
sweetrose
I see you've got some real HTML going there now...and you can see the results of how that looks at the bottom of the page.

As for the image you want to insert...do you want that in any particular place in your template? Is it supposed to be a background image?

The IMG tag that wahm922 is mentioning is how you insert an image in HTML, but that won't help you get it where you want it...nor is that all you need to do if you want to make something a background.

I think I'd suggest that you take a look at some of the available Auctiva Templates and see which ones in there have a similiar design to what you want to achieve. Then you can look at that HTML code as a framework for what you want to design.

Mike
Hi, Thank you for your responses, wahm92 and mnormand. What I'm trying to insert is a small piece of clip art (free from Google) that I've downloaded. I'd like it next to "DESCRIPTION", as I'm going to use it as a sort of logo. Any suggestions re: positioning it are welcome. I've tried exporting it as html, then cut and pasting it, from Windows Notepad, and also doing the same with the url. No dice. I need advice on my listing in general, can you view it (within Auctiva)? It's the only saved listing I have. Thanks so much for all help and suggestions.
sweetrose
We don't have access to view your saved listings... That's why we suggest you paste what you get from the "GET HTML" fuction into the Practiceboard so that we can take a look at what you are doing...

Anyway, feeling generous today I decided to do a little creation of my own so you could get an idea of what this can look like.

Check out this URL:

http://www.practiceboard.com/?4793328

You'll see that I took a free pic from the web and uploaded it to Auctiva and then I'm using it as a graphic in a pseudo logo that I created.

I've intentially left on the borders in a few of the tables so you can see what the positioning commands do to how things appear.

Essentially, you could do up some HTML just like this, and paste it in in your Description area and you'd have that Logo look you are going for... Just substitue your own Text and Pictures and you are all set...

The picture in this Logo is actually 1024x768, but I've shrunk it's display size in the IMG tag...as is shown. If I was doing this for real, I would have cropped and resized the photo down to 100x120 so that it would load quicker, etc...

Hope that little bit of code gets you going. Let me know if you need any more help...

Mike
Thanks so much for your help. Will you take a look at this: http://practiceboard.com/?4800845
Now, how do I arrange the photos so that the same image from the gallery and heading is on top line, and the other 2 are below, on either side of the first (in a triangular pattern)? Also, while you're in a good mood, In Paypal payments, it was required that I put my email address. How do I insure that it does not display in my final ebay auction listing? Your patience is my virtue (huh?).
sweetrose
Thanks again...I'm almost there. I have a few questions, if you would please go to www.practiceboard.com/?4820289. I'm having a hard time changing the font of Sweetrose's Sweet Deals to Amaze Normal. Also, I've got so much space at the top...I wanted to put the Sweetrose's...image...Sweet Deals on the same line, centered, with the image aligned on the left (I use a different left image on my non-book items and I like to show the difference). How do I get rid of the table lines? I didn't include my product images on practiceboard, but I've got the same line problem. I promise I'll go away soon if I can just get this straight. Again, thank you for being there.
Okay, here are a couple tips...

First, not sure where you are getting the HTML for your pictures, but the appear to be going into a Table and that table has a STYLE applied to it.. In order to get rid of the border (the usual tag) around those pictures you'll either need to remove the section in your HTML that refers to the table style, or simly change the border from 1px to 0px. Do a search in your HTML for 1px and you'll see what I mean...

Also, as for changing the font "FACE" you'll want to make sure that the face you want is available on the users computer...otherwise it won't display...

Here's a good article where they discuss that:

http://www.hitmill.com/html/primers/lesson3.html

I'm not quite following what you want to do with the images...

I see two images on PracticeBoard one of some books and the other being your rose image.

Did you want those two on the same line?
Which one on the left and which one centered...

Sorry I just didn't grasp what you were going for on that one...

Mike
Thanks yet again, mnormand. I do have that font, Amaze Normal, on my computer, and actually managed to get it into a practice template, don't know how I did it, but erased it in my madness. The image with the books I'd like aligned left, then, centered on the same line, "Sweetrose's". The image of the rose on the next line, under "Sweet...", and then "Sweet Deals" centered under the image. Therefore, the "logo" is centered, and the pix of the books is aligned left on the first line, the concept being something vaguely like a file tab. Sorry I wasn't clear, hope this is better. I practiced with your logs on practiceboard (which I really appreciated!)and couldn't get fill into the backgrounds. Sorry to be such a pain in the...

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.