Skip to main content

Hi Everyone!
Am I missing something or perhaps not thinking clearly?
As a new seller, of personal items vs. wholesale>retail for profit, I'm already losing money on sales.
This "Sale" would save you what $0.14 for the insertion fee, but...
1). As eveyone knows, buyers aren't thrilled with "reserves"; often skipping those lisitings.
2). Starting your listing at $0.99 or less puts you at the sole discretion of the "bidders du jour".
3). As I seen, in this economy, buyers are almost expecting the seller to pay them for buying the item! Even 50% off retail is leaving them cold.
4). To protect yourself you'd have to have a "Reserve" which cost $2.00 (I think). This is refunded IF the item sells; correct?
5). However, if the item does not sell/make it to the "Reserve" price, ebay makes $1.86 if the listing does not sell vs. just the original listing fee of ~$0.40, etc.

I am figuring this correctly? Thanks for double checking my logic &/or math.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You are correct that you are only saving 14 cents (media category) on this penny sale promotion, or 24 cents if not in the media category.

My opinion on 1 cent or 99 cent sales is they are a WASTE OF TIME.

I recently listed something at 99 cents because I wanted to get rid of it. It had already been listed twice before at 9.99 and 4.99 unsuccessfully.

Well, it sold for 99 cents. Paid for by Paypal. Postage was $4.60.

So if you take the listing fee, FVF fee, and Paypal fee on $5.59, I netted 24 cents. Consider I listed it twice before and the net LOSS is -60 cents or so.

Even had I not listed it twice before, net earnings of 24 cents to take pictures, list, pack, and take to PO, is a WASTE OF TIME.

Reserve fees are NO LONGER REFUNDED even if the item sells, so add that $2.00 to your costs.
Last edited by jeffs
Hi JeffS!
Thank you so much! I knew their spin of things such as "new/cheaper" insertion fees, (back ended with 3%+ increase in FVF), were baloney, but I just wanted to see if I was losing it all together or not.
Thanks too for the info on the reserve fee not being refunded; even if bought.
One more fee increase which was slipped into the mix; apparently not noticed by, at the minimum, myself.

Anyone having any luck elsewhere? Fenton Glass, bears, collectibles, &/or that "flea market" stuff that ebay doesn't like anymore.
I read something last night about a UK site where sellers and buyers pay part of the FVF. Unfortunately there was no name in the article to direct you to the site-oops on their part.
The problem seems to be the traffic, so if someone would create a bombshell site that all sellers could jump over to...listening Auctiva? We want you!!!

Thanks again JeffS

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.