Skip to main content

HI EVERYONE IAM A NEWBIE TO THESE CUSTOM TEMPLATES. MY QUESTION IS I BOUGHT A CUSTOM TEMPLATE FROM AN EBAY AUCTION. I HAVE IT THE WAY I WANT IT TO BE USED FOR MY AUCTION, NOW HOW DO I POST IT? I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IAM TRYING TO SAY. MUCH APPRECIATED!!! GOT BASETTS!!HELEN

[edited all caps title - please dont use all caps titles]
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Helen,

Okay, lets figure out what point you are getting stuck at.

So you are able to use your custom template and get all your info and pictures into the template and then review the template here in auctiva?

You can then either schedule the listing or post it immediately from the listing page of the item (buttons to click on are at the very bottom). When you do that, do the items not post? Is it giving you an error message?

Marcia
Helen,

Okay, I think I see the problem here.

All of your info and pictures are already in the template. It looks like you have your photos with photobucket (which is fine) but the URLs are embedded in this template.

This html code would be fine to use if you were listing directly from Ebay but Auctiva is set up a bit different.

For example, I purchased a custom template from ebay. All it is really is a cute border, my store name at the top and some buttons I wanted on my template. I have this html code for my listing, saved under "Custom Templates" on the "Listings" page.

BUT when I want to set up an auction or store item, I have to go "Listings" -> "New Listing" to set that up. Here you decide if it is an auction item or fixed price, what ebay category it goes in, etc. This is the page with the buttons on the bottom that say "Post" or "Schedule". Here you can also write a description (no html required, that is only needed for your template) and add pictures from those hosted here or elsewhere (like Photobucket). Then you can choose your template from the list of ones that auctiva offers or your own custom one. You can also choose shipping options here.

Auctiva is also based on setting up profiles to use on this listing page. If you go to the Profiles tab, you can set up profiles for shipping, marketing, etc. I will say that this was the most time consuming part of using auctiva but once it is done, it is done and you will only have to go back and edit as needed.

If decide to use Auctiva in this way, the template needs to be almost "gutted" of the description and images you already have in there and tags put in. Right now the description tag is above the template border. There should be a tag for the description where you want it to show up within the template and image tags for where you want those to go. Again this is so you can use the template over and over again and NOT have to touch the html.

That is the true beauty of auctiva. I hate working with html and this allows me to write my listings without touching it. You can also host unlimited pics here and schedule your auctions to launch when you want them to.

Auctiva also offers classes on how to create an ebay listing using their service. Here is the link for the class listings this week:

Auctiva Classes

Please let me if I can help any further. I know that there is a learning when using this service but once you get through it, I think you will really like Auctiva especially if you plan on listing more in the future.

Marcia
Helen,

I cleaned up the template and put the auctiva tags in for you. Copy and paste the html below and save it as a custom template under the "Listings" tab -> Create custom template. You can preview it to see what you think about it. I know it will plain from what you are use to looking at but once you get your profiles set up and then add the descriptions and images it will look better. I only tagged it for 4 images I think. You can add more or I can add more for you.

[edited to remove HTML]
Last edited by auctivajeff
After you save this under your custom templates, you need to go to the Profiles tab and set up things like shipping profiles, marketing profile (like using a gallery pic) and your seller details (Payment and shipping terms). Does not have to be long or anything fancy, just enough to explain your terms (ie what payment you accept and how long do people have to pay). You can look at one of my listings to get an idea of what I mean.

I need to run out to the post office, I will check on you when I get back! Good luck!

Marcia
Wow, that template really is poorly coded and a big mess. I hope you didn't pay alot for it. some of the tags are not even ebay legal Frown

I was going to try and "fix" it for you but its not my place to alter someone elses work. I can tell you it does not work in other browsers besides IE. I'm using FireFox and its not displaying correctly at all.

I rechecked in IE and it looks better but is still poorly coded!
DANIELLE, THANKS FOR YOUR WONDERFUL KNOWLEDGE AND IMPUT. I ONLY PAID 5.00 FOR IT SO NO BIGGIE.DO YOU KNOW HOW TO ADD MUSIC TO A TEMPLATE IN AUCTIVA? I HAVE A CODE FOR IT BUT I COULD NOT USE THE LAST TIME I WANTED TO SELL ON EBAY.THE PERSON WHO SOLD IT TO ME MAKES HIS OWN TEMPLATES AND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT AUCTIVA.THANKS FOR THE WARNING AND NEXT TIME I WILL TRY AND USE THE PRACTICE BOARD. I JUST THOUGHT THE WAY I POSTED WAS ALOT EASIER BUT I WAS WRONG. GOT BASSETS HELEN

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.