Skip to main content

From Rob Chestnut:

quote:
Proactive Fraud Reduction
Today I want to let buyers and sellers know about another security measure we're taking. For safety reasons, items reportedly most favored by fraudsters may not be viewable for several hours before the listings are indexed into Search results. These new listings are still viewable on the site through My eBay or if you search for the specific item number; however, they are not immediately visible through a keyword search or Browse.

To maximize exposure for these listings and ensure that buyers who browse by category see these items, we've made an important change. Any listings impacted by this review process will appear in the "Newly Listed" sort based on when they are made visible in Search (as opposed to when they are listed.) This ensures they will appear at the top of default Browse results - as well as within the "Newly Listed" sort option for Search - where they belong.

What kinds of listings will be impacted?
Unfortunately, it's not possible for us to give you criteria, because that information could be used by scammers to work around our Trust and Safety efforts. Overall, however, we expect this security measure to impact only a fraction of listings.

Let me say that I understand that this has some impact for our sellers, but with the change to how we sort listings, and the fact that most bidding occurs in the final 12 hours of a listing, we believe it's the right step to take. I know we share the same goal – to keep eBay a welcoming, safe marketplace for both our buyers and our sellers.

To learn more about these changes, please read our Frequently Asked Questions .

hmmm...

I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that none of my ads are affected...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

So what the hell does that mean? If you want to list on Sunday night you have to post on Saturday? Or does it mean you post on Sunday and your listing is only visible for 6 days (Monday through Sunday)?

I hate eBay. The scumbags have destroyed it. They make all these stupid knee-jerk reactions to try to "fix" things and they only hurt the decent users.
quote:
Originally posted by JeffS:
So what the hell does that mean? If you want to list on Sunday night you have to post on Saturday? Or does it mean you post on Sunday and your listing is only visible for 6 days (Monday through Sunday)?

I think that's exactly what it means.

If you list in a sparse category on Sunday evening at 10pm EST, and eBay delays your auction by 6 hours, you're getting screwed on some prime buying time...

Of course, eBay only cares about core listings (i.e. Auctions), so to them, it's no big deal because "most bidding takes place in the final 12 hours".

I list most of my items BIN...
quote:
Originally posted by eBay trainer:
Also , eBay is planning on delaying all listings by 24 hours starting this summer June/July maybe. Watch for it. KL

KL,

Could you place the link here where it's stated that a delay of 24 hours is coming June/July?

I like to insure that info is correct before I pass it along to others...and there are many ecommerce sellers I network with that would like to see that statement in black and white.

Thanks,
Donna
OMG Biscuit..

Can you imagine how ticked off you'd be if you had a one day auction and it didn't even show up in the flippin searches?

Geesh...I agree with you clueless...I really do. You gotta wonder if sites such as Amazon can offer a selling service and offer better service to their buyers and sellers, why can't eBay?

Cuz we keep paying it.

I hate to see what the next fee "adjustment" rate will be....actually I can wait..shuddering at the thought is more like it.

I've been busy going through some posts on the eBay Stores Community Forum...folks are ticked. Items not searchable and more.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...dayum, I miss the early days of eBay!

Open your own site, open ecrater stores, make a myspace and network with other sellers, expand and get yourself out there more. Cross promote yourself as much as possible. Hopefully by having yourself out there as much as possible you can gain more sales.

Good Luck everyone! It appears we need it.
Donna
(btw, I opened my myspace back up a couple of months ago and have gotten some sales from it...ya'll might wanna try it)

Suthrnjewl's Myspace
quote:
Originally posted by eBay trainer:
Also , eBay is planning on delaying all listings by 24 hours starting this summer June/July maybe.

I too want to see proof of this. It goes against this statement:
quote:
"Overall, however, we expect this security measure to impact only a fraction of listings."

Also:
quote:
"most bidding occurs in the final 12 hours of a listing"

I really can't disagree with this statement. I find that ALL of my listings get the most activity on the last day. Even if my listings only showed up for 6 days, I doubt there would be any impact to their outcome. I've even started thinking about running them for 5 days, because they sit for 7 days and do nothing. Even the counts don't really go up on many of them for the first 6 days. It's all in the last day.
I follow a couple groups of powersellers and haven't heard of the 24 hour delay for this summer. There must have been a miscommunication somewhere along the line as I don't believe this will happen.

Perhaps what was meant was that it may take up to 24 hours for eBay to determine if the items are legitmate or not before showing them in search results. From my experience I've seen most items go up right away, then some are flagged by eBay and don't show in the results. Of those flagged items many show up within a few hours. Only a few take longer than that. I can see that process taking 24 hours in some situations perhaps. I don't think it will be across the board, and I think most of the time they'll be approved or disapproved much quicker than 24 hours.

I'm glad to see them do it. There was far too much fraud going on and it was really negatively affecting the marketplace. I can already seem some improvements just in the past few months as they cracked down. That's a good thing for sellers as it means there are more buyers on eBay and they don't have to worry as much about getting ripped off.

Of course I have no inside info. I'm usually the last person to find out, eBay doesn't typically give us any advanced notice on anything.
Southern Jewel said:
quote:
Geesh...I agree with you clueless...I really do. You gotta wonder if sites such as Amazon can offer a selling service and offer better service to their buyers and sellers, why can't eBay?

Sometime back, there was some discusion about getting into amazon stores and selling in there. I went and looked into it and came to realize, that I did not have to set up a store there to sell similar items. I started Feb.15 with 17 listings and in one day had already sold an item. I eventually had 96 pages up. Their page build is so quick, you don't even need to have any description, since you are selling for less than the person who already wrote description. You are selling on price alone. Some of the store sellers there have unique positions and really super high prices on their items. Easy to come in lower and make way more than on ebay for a similar item. Amazon collects the money and takes their part and puts yours in a accessible holding account while you ship. You can pull your money anytime. Amazon fees are about on average 16%, but the ease of sales is there. I still sell more on ebay, but amazon has become a rather nice extra cash cow for me, well in front of what I do on Ecrater. My websites are still #1, Ebay #2, Amazon #3, and Ecrater #4.
quote:
Originally posted by Daddyo:
Southern Jewel said:
quote:

Their page build is so quick, you don't even need to have any description, since you are selling for less than the person who already wrote description. You are selling on price alone. Some of the store sellers there have unique positions and really super high prices on their items.

I still sell more on ebay, but amazon has become a rather nice extra cash cow for me, well in front of what I do on Ecrater. My websites are still #1, Ebay #2, Amazon #3, and Ecrater #4.

Tell me bout it.

Amazon should be looked into. Especially if you're selling items that already have pics up..i.e., books, media, etc.

If you haven't looked into selling on Amazon..you should.

If you can work your way up the Amazon ladder to Featured Merchant..that's the way to go.

My stats run similar to Daddy'o's.

Best of Luck,
Donna

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.