Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Another indefinite strike is scheduled for May 1, you probably heard about that already *sigh...

Like the last one, I doubt you'll even know it's going on.

I've been asking BUYERS as my sales complete if they've heard about the changes going on. NOBODY had any knowledge of fee increases, or the fact that sellers would not be able to leave negatives anymore. NONE knew the effect of leaving star values of 3 or 4, even though 3 or 4 still is a "good" rating on the buyer side. They had NO idea of how it was going to affect the seller who gets a statistical rating of 4.3 and is considered "bad". None knew what BEST MATCH was, nor cared. It was very revealing. You should ask your buyers yourself and see.

So I think it's really a matter of a very vocal minority. Maybe it is just "noise".

I'm still watching plenty of other sites. The results being they still do not have the traffic. I don't care what other people say. Maybe some get lucky and make a sale, or are selling common items (clothes, jewelry, shoes, pet supplies, and other dry goods). There just is no market on these other sites for the "unique one of a kind" items that made eBay what eBay is. You know, the "flea market" stuff.

I also do not believe the company is acting like ignorant assholes as they are being accused. I'm not saying I'm giving in or am going to the dark side, I'm just saying there are two sides to everything, and we're just on the one side.

Has anyone listened to the 90 minute audio recording of the February 4th "Town Hall" meeting? If not, you should. These do not sound like insane people to me. They sound like people who truly feel their changes are "right" and will make a difference. Will they? Time will tell. If they don't, they'll make more changes to correct them. Maybe those changes will suck too, or maybe they'll be better, who knows?

To put things in perspective, I was looking at my eBud database of sales from way way back in 2000. I was looking at total fee values on a number of sales, and comparing them to current sales of the same value. Yes, they are higher, but gasoline is much higher compared to these changes, and I don't see any boycott of oil companies. People ate still buying gas guzzling SUVs. I'll bet some of you just bought an SUV that gets 16mpg knowing full well gas is heading to $4 a gallon.

My point? None.

End of text.
I was rather surprised and wondered why you started this thread, almost as though you enjoy the bitching Confused

Jeff are you vigorously marketing yourself whether by flyers, mail shots, social networking, your own website site and so forth or are you just paying fees to greedbay and Auctiva and just waiting for the fish to bite ?

Since when did an insane person in power get recognised as such before damage was done ?
quote:
or are you just paying fees to greedbay and Auctiva and just waiting for the fish to bite ?

To "whatever your name is since you refuse to tell us":

No, I've been doing what I always do. Posting listings, waiting for bites, making sales. I still pay my Auctiva and eBay fees as usual. Auctiva is costing me $19.95 a month because I don't have enough reserve yet to pay for a full year like I aways used to (and save 20% off the month-by-month price) Note to CEO Jeff: please lower the Pro Package rate. Sales are a bit down, but then so is the economy here in the US (in case you haven't noticed your currency is worth 2X what ours is). So maybe that's part of why sales are low and values are down.

Why did I start this thread? I don't know, maybe I'm Richard Brewer-Hays in disguise! Big Grin

I started it just to open a dialog, not to start a debate or argument. I started it because, like the title says, I notice the bitch level is down. Just as it is every other time there is a change and we all get upset. Eventually we calm down and life goes on.

Again, my point? None.
quote:
Another indefinite strike is scheduled for May 1

The buyers probably won't even notice as we go into the summer months when thoughts turn to going out, enjoying longer evenings, going on holiday.

Choosing May was probably calculated by the same statisticians hired buy politicians to predict the best day to have elections on.

I think buyers are more likely to be huddled around their PC's on the long, colder and dark nights bidding on what they fancy as an alternative to TV or video games. Can't see a lot of sellers being on strike that long unless they have moved to another venue meantime.

Ok so sales take a dive for a while, that's business, you have to move around to maximise the most from wherever you can. Greedbay are probably no worse than your bricks and mortar shop landlord who sees you are doing well and puts up the rent Wink
Like I said, the cost of everything's gone up.

Here is a sale from Feb 2001:

$406, fees $11.10

January 2008 (not the new fee schedule yet):

$435, fees $16.14

These do not include Paypal fees.

It's a difference of $5.

Taken in this perspective, it's not so bad. It may be a while before I do a $400 sale on the new fee schedule, so we'll see. So, maybe it'll be $6, or $6.50. Taken out of the $400, it's still a nice return.

As I said, it's still working "somewhat" here. Time to make money. Not bitch.
Hi JeffS,

I'll bitch if you really want me to Big Grin

But seriously, my sales aren't doing too badly and they will only get better. I'm getting into my prime 'selling season' now.

I agree that probably 90% of Ebay's customer base has NO idea of all the policy changes and fee hikes that have been made, and even if they've heard rumors of it, they don't care. People will always want to sell on Ebay and buy on Ebay. Smile
I don't think anyone was complaining about our site. I think they were talking about eBay.

All my data shows that since Feb 20 eBay has been ON FIRE. Break out the fire trucks cause they are scorching right now. Between free gallery, FVF changes, and best match eBay has hit the trifecta and I think that will be reflected in their Q1 quarterly results next month.
quote:
All my data shows that since Feb 20 eBay has been ON FIRE. Break out the fire trucks cause they are scorching right now. Between free gallery, FVF changes, and best match eBay has hit the trifecta and I think that will be reflected in their Q1 quarterly results next month.

Just for clarification, you mean their sales figures for "sell through" are up this quarter?

I wish my sales reflected that. They don't.
Here is my bitch of the month to keep this thread alive !!

Yes it's that simple CEO Jeff, lets compensate, with increased fees, we have to put out even more items to sell the same quantity per month, that is a much lower sell through rate, hence Greedbay does even better ******* !!!

Oh and in the UK we get free gallery from 18th March to 31st March and guess what as the US economy is oh so fragile and scared of the power wielded by the might of the UK Roll Eyes that listings using the free gallery will not show up on the US site by default as it would be unfair. Eek

OMG I can hear the US sellers trembling from across the USA so much so it's setting up a man made tsunami Eek

The nonsensical twaddle from Greedbay knows no bounds !

Roll on independence (heard that before somewhere) Razz
quote:
Originally posted by ChooChooGuy:
Oh and in the UK we get free gallery from 18th March to 31st March

Don't kid yourself for a minute train man. You're being "market tested" just as we were back in October/November of last year when Gallery was free for a period. This free period is when they will develop the data to prove that more listings "convert" (sell - duuh, eBay doublespeak) when using Gallery than without. I'm sure it will eventually lead to free gallery in the UK as well, with an associated fee adjustment of course.

I've finally figured it out that all the free promotions are nothing more than data collection devices used by eBay to gather data to further their objectives.
Not kidding myself over this, not falling for this GreedBay stunt, free gallery and no US visibility.

Well I know the goodies I want to put out at the moment are must haves for US buyers so I'm going to wait until April to list them. I would gain far more per item from US customers bidding than the paltry gallery fee saving and UK only bidders.

Anyone visiting GreedBay sites get inundated with data collection cookies and other junk anyway it makes sense for them to do it unfortunately.

I know full well GreedBay is only run for the shareholders now so we cannot expect anything else. Just making sure others are aware of this so called 'free' period. Big Grin
quote:
Just making sure others are aware of this so called 'free' period. Big Grin

I'm not saying not to use it. I always did when it was free. I never felt it was worth the 35 cents EVEN IF it was proven to help complete a sale.

Call me cheap, but I wanted that extra 35 cents in MY pocket.

I would use it if it's free.

What is it you sell that is so desirable to US buyers? Even with the $$$ imbalance and high postage, would I want it?
Well isn't the gallery free for you now or at least shortly Smile

Would you want them, no, doubt it, not from what I have have seen of your interest as they are not train items Smile

And anyway if you were you would seek them out on the GreedBay UK site as most originate from this country as eager collectors do Wink

Yes, I am an awkward old so and so Big Grin
I am not sure why there has been so much bitching. Of course ebay want to milk us for as much as they can get just as we want to sell our stuff for as much as possible but they also know they need to produce buyers for us and the fact is they are good at that. There is simply nothing to compare with their service.
I thought most sellers would welcome the shift from listing fees to FVFs. The US has also been given free gallery which is a huge saving for me as it accounted for 50% of my listing fees there.
I am hoping it will be extended to the UK where I sell most of my stuff but even as is I am a happy bunny as my total payments to ebay are down about 20% and for some reason I am selling about 30% more than I used to without changing anything I do.
Maybe they have done something right for a change.
Come on, of course it's right for the shareholders and those soon to take golden handshakes.

Over here they are still teasing us over the gallery which we still have to pay 15p for per item, (approx 30c ?). The current free gallery promotion eliminates our listings from appearing by default on the US site because it would be unfair which is total bull now you have it for free.

GreedBay are THE e-Spin Doctors and smaller venues are benefitting because we (sellers like me) are attracting customers to them. The last three sale on SA were buyers who signed up the same day as buying from me, and are probably previous customers of mine from Greedbay.

So watchout GreedBay, complacency is a killer, chuckle Smile
quote:
Come on, of course it's right for the shareholders and those soon to take golden handshakes.

Over here they are still teasing us over the gallery which we still have to pay 15p for per item, (approx 30c ?). The current free gallery promotion eliminates our listings from appearing by default on the US site because it would be unfair which is total bull now you have it for free.

GreedBay are THE e-Spin Doctors and smaller venues are benefitting because we (sellers like me) are attracting customers to them. The last three sale on SA were buyers who signed up the same day as buying from me, and are probably previous customers of mine from Greedbay.

So watchout GreedBay, complacency is a killer, chuckle Smile

The current promotion does nothing of the sort. UK listings have not been shown in the US by default for well over a year. That hit my sales for sure but I have worked hard to make up for that hit. All biz suffers from unexpected change at time but instead of moaning some just get on with it and adjust to the new situation.
You sound like you cannot make a decent profit selling on ebay so perhaps you should ask yourself why when many others can and it is by far the best market available despite the fact we would all like it to be cheaper.
Perhaps these changes are designed to weed out those that can't do it and reward those that can Smile
quote:
I thought most sellers would welcome the shift from listing fees to FVFs. The US has also been given free gallery which is a huge saving for me as it accounted for 50% of my listing fees there.

Unfortunately I never listed with Gallery, so I'm not "saving" 35 cents. I'm actually paying a lot more than I used to. The "saved 5 cents" is more than taken away by the 8.75% take on the first $25. Profit? Yes, I still profit, just LESS profit while eBay gets MORE profit.

All the new plans? Notice how they are all just for PowerSellers? Increased protection through Paypal, FVF discounts for high DSR's. WHY ISN'T EVERY USER ELIGIBLE FOR THIS? My DSR values are very high, 4.8, and I have 3000+ 100% positive feedback. I've been selling for 11 years. Why can't I get these discounts and protections? What, my customer service doesn't rate anything because I'm not a PowerSeller? That's bullshit.

THAT isn't fair.
quote:
You sound like you cannot make a decent profit selling on ebay

True for one category, this is why I will continue to sell some categories on GreedBay and others on the SA site and others on my own site shortly, horses for courses as they say.

Just checked the announcement link again and it has been changed, under exclusions it originally linked to the unfair blah, that has now gone.

Obviously some erronous copy paste and subsequent correction has taken place.

Getting sloppy aren't they !

quote:
Perhaps these changes are designed to weed out those that can't do it and reward those that can

Yes and they will keep raising the level until they can get away from the fleapit, sorry, flea market scenario which is now so degrading for an up and coming e-commerce giant Smile

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.