Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Community,

Thanks for helping to bring this issue to our attention. We are aware of an issue that is causing certain customers to be unable to upload images that they would have been able to upload before, which has come to the surface as a result of our recent growth. Our technical team is currently working to install some new image uploaders to resolve this problem and, at this point, it appears we'll be able to get those installed early next week.

The main factors that contribute to these failures are image size and traffic on our uploading service so, in the mean time, when you are having trouble uploading images, you may want to try the following measure, which may allow you to upload successfully:

1) Log out of your Auctiva account and close your browser. Then, re-open your browser, log-in to your Auctiva account and try uploading your images once again. This may cause to land on a web server that is less inclined to produce these uploading errors.
2) Decrease the size of your images further and then try uploading them again. If you going to give this a shot, I recommend reducing the sizes of your images by about 50 % at a time until you are able to upload them successfully.
3) Try again later. These problems tend to come to the surface during times of the day when our traffic is heaviest so you may have better luck uploading your images at night or early in the morning.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our customer support team by completing the web form on the following page of our site: http://www.auctiva.com/help/requesthelp.aspx

-Mike
Hi jaraent,

I don't really have anything new to share at this point. We are still on track to have the new uploaders I mentioned previously installed toward the beginning of next week. Until then, if you are having trouble uploading images that you would normally be able to upload successfully, the measures I listed in my previous response are still the only recommendations we can offer that may help.

-Mike
The easiest thing to do is turn down your digital cameras resolution. We throw away 70-80% of the pixels from new digital cameras after you upload the image anyways. So it makes sense to have the camera take them at a smaller size which means the file you upload can be up to 10x smaller.

On a Canon digital camera it's quite easy. Click the "function set" button. Click down until "L" then click to the right until you get 1600x1200 or similar resolution. Then press function set again. I'm sure other camera makers have a similar way to change the camera into a lower resolution mode.

What that does is changes the file size from something like 2-3 megabytes to 200-300k bytes, which is 10x faster to upload.

Alternately you can take them how you are now an then use a free program such as irfanview.com or Picasa on your desktop to resize them. That's quite a bit of work though compared to something that would take a few seconds to change on your digital camera. Consult the manaul for your camera on how to change the resolution. I'd recommend take the pictures at about 1600x1200 mode.
Well I tried smaller file size and that does not work either. I tried using the different uploading options, with just one itibity picture and nope. I guess what they're saying is there is too many people uploading and if EVERYONE all at once used small files then it would stop the problem or at least help. Well meanwhile I have people waiting for these pictures and at least one person gave up on ME getting my listings up and bought from someone else. I know I can't wait until next week. Off to find a way to get my pics on ebay!
Have a great day!
quote:
I WISH IT WAS THAT SIMPLE- BUT SINCE 50% OF ALL LISTINGS ARE SCANNED PHOTOS

Scanners have a similar setting. Use a lower DPI setting. Also after you scan you should crop the image and resave it as a JPEG. Make sure the JPEG compression is set to 80% quality or lower. The file you are uploading to us should not be more than 250k bytes.
I feel the same way. I do not use the paid service because I have no faith in this site. It is convenient when it works, but lately that is not very often at all. Auctiva will just tell you its your fault and you need to resize, etc. But what happens when you've already tried all that AND everyone else is having the same problem. Obviously its not my computer or my camera. This site frustrates me and I will be researching new places.
quote:
It is convenient when it works, but lately that is not very often at all.
I'd say "everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration. We track the # of listings launched daily and the #'s are actually higher this week than past weeks. I'd assume the numbers would be lower if things were not working very often at all.

Since we also track when they are created I can see most people are doing it in the middle of the day, during prime time hours. I would assume the majority of people having ongoing issues are using relatively large size images in comparison to those users since the complaints seemed to centered around large images.
quote:
Auctiva will just tell you its your fault and you need to resize, etc.
I don't believe we've been saying that at all. Certainly resizing is a very good solution and that is what is working for the vast majority of customers. But we've also said we'll be releasing a new uploader that will resize your images for you on your computer automatically so that you don't need to. So we are doing something besides giving you what is already a solution that works for most people.

I'm not really sure what else I could do to help. If you have a suggestion let me know.
quote:
THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN YOU REDUCE THE SCANNER RESOLUTION UNTIL YOU REACH A POINT WHERE IT WILL UPLOAD YOU HAVE A CRAPPY PHOTO THAT IS NOT WORTH LISTING

That's not true at all. I've viewed many of your supersize images and they are ~65k bytes. Check the size of your scanned images. If they are bigger than 65k bytes you can still do a lot of shrinking before you upload them since we're doing it on this side anyways after the images are on our server. I wrote the original Auctiva Poster desktop lister, wrote the image handling code for it, resizing, uploading, etc. I also own a scanner and have sold many items on eBay where the items were scanned. So I do understand.

Or you can just take a few days off and come back after our site update next week with the new image uploaders. It'll resize your images on your computer before uploading them to our servers.
Last edited by auctivajeff
Will someone, please tell what is going, and when the problem can be fixed. There are thousands of dollars riding on these listings, not to mention the listing fees paid to Ebay. At this time, it would be impossible to cancel these listings. Ebay won't allow that. So, please do everything in your power to straighten his image loading problem, or at least tell something. Thank you so much
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Jeff:
quote:
It is convenient when it works, but lately that is not very often at all.
I'd say "everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration. We track the # of listings launched daily and the #'s are actually higher this week than past weeks. I'd assume the numbers would be lower if things were not working very often at all.

Since we also track when they are created I can see most people are doing it in the middle of the day, during prime time hours. I would assume the majority of people having ongoing issues are using relatively large size images in comparison to those users since the complaints seemed to centered around large images.
quote:
Auctiva will just tell you its your fault and you need to resize, etc.
I don't believe we've been saying that at all. Certainly resizing is a very good solution and that is what is working for the vast majority of customers. But we've also said we'll be releasing a new uploader that will resize your images for you on your computer automatically so that you don't need to. So we are doing something besides giving you what is already a solution that works for most people.

I'm not really sure what else I could do to help. If you have a suggestion let me know.
quote:
THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN YOU REDUCE THE SCANNER RESOLUTION UNTIL YOU REACH A POINT WHERE IT WILL UPLOAD YOU HAVE A CRAPPY PHOTO THAT IS NOT WORTH LISTING

That's not true at all. I've viewed many of your supersize images and they are ~65k bytes. Check the size of your scanned images. If they are bigger than 65k bytes you can still do a lot of shrinking before you upload them since we're doing it on this side anyways after the images are on our server. I wrote the original Auctiva Poster desktop lister, wrote the image handling code for it, resizing, uploading, etc. I also own a scanner and have sold many items on eBay where the items were scanned. So I do understand.

Or you can just take a few days off and come back after our site update next week with the new image uploaders. It'll resize your images on your computer before uploading them to our servers.

Jeff or who ever should need to read this. I agree with your stance on this issue. Smaller image size is best for your side, but larger more detailed photos work best for our side (sellers). We need an option that allows us with broadband or other similar fast connections to upload the largest possible images. I also think the concept of smaller initial images on eBay and the click to supersize and go to the fullest size allowed should continue. In closing the person that posted that they'd be off to look for something else.... let me know because I'm constantly searching for the next best thing to stay out front. And there is NO alternative to Auctiva. Auctiva just WORKS! They've kept it fairly simple and uncluttered. That's what makes it work best for me!!
I have to agree with not finding anything better out there.

I have gone without sales for a couple of months now and found this service. I thought I would give it a try and now I am unable to load my pictures.

I hate to have to start from scratch somewhere else or go back to E-bay and start over. This does not help trying to make sales.

Please try to fix this problem or let us know what we can do in order to get the pictures uploaded.

Thanks again and have a nice day.
Hey...

Fix your $**t

Not only do I need to guide my wife thru most of this "auction" garbage / and fix the screw-up's... Now I have to deal with a bunch of masturbating monkeys running around trying to find the array errors or a drive that failed preventing everyone from uploading pictures?....

Kinda kidding there... Just fix your crap woodya?
I'm going to follow Jeff's advice and just take a few days off. After all the summer months are the worst for collectibles anyway. Most people just have to many better things to do than sit around bidding on eBay. If you do buy it nows this is the time of year for that. People will just impulse buy, because they don't want to put your item on their watching page, they just want to get it now and get back to their yard or whatever. For me January and February are my best months. Luckily I work full time and just sit on my items. Some people can't. I think anyone listing in the summer months should use eBay's market research and completed items and mostly do buy it nows, but that's my opinion.
Some people dream of success. While others work hard at it.
Hi Community,

Update - I am pleased to report that we just released a new bulk uploader today that should alleviate the problems many customers have been having uploading images, especially larger ones, over the past few weeks. You can access this new uploader by clicking the "Upload Images" link under the "Images" tab within your account and then selecting "Auctiva Uploader".

If you have any trouble with this new uploader, please contact our customer support team by completing the web form on the following page of our site:
http://www.auctiva.com/help/requesthelp.aspx

-Mike
I have just spent (wasted) the best part of an evening trying to upload images that are smaller than 900 x 900 and 300kb - I have reduced and reduced, my images now look like poridge. I am very pissed off, especially as there was never a problem when this was a fantastic free service. Sort it out auctiva, people are loosing a shed load of cash due to your crappy image uploader.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.