Skip to main content

Hello, I'm new to this board. I have a question about my current domain. I have a web site and domain set up thru yahoo, this website was created when I had a brick and mortar antiques mall and is geared to promote the store not sell on line. I have closed after 2 years. I am going to set up a store thru auctiva, been using auctiva for ebay and have been very happy with ease of use. I am still paying a monthly fee to yahoo for a website that is out of date. I figure since it has to be re-done I would like to do that with auctiva, but I am still using the email address attached to the website and I don't want to lose the customers that know that email. I would also like to cut down on expenses and maybe shorten the name. Couldn't find anything this specific in FAQ so I am asking for help here. HELP!!! I want to start my new auctiva store ASAP. Thank you, Deb
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by artfuldeb:
Hello, I'm new to this board. I have a question about my current domain. I have a web site and domain set up thru yahoo, this website was created when I had a brick and mortar antiques mall and is geared to promote the store not sell on line. I have closed after 2 years. I am going to set up a store thru auctiva, been using auctiva for ebay and have been very happy with ease of use. I am still paying a monthly fee to yahoo for a website that is out of date. I figure since it has to be re-done I would like to do that with auctiva, but I am still using the email address attached to the website and I don't want to lose the customers that know that email. I would also like to cut down on expenses and maybe shorten the name. Couldn't find anything this specific in FAQ so I am asking for help here. HELP!!! I want to start my new auctiva store ASAP. Thank you, Deb

Hi Deb,

Welcome to Auctiva.

It is my feeling that you should do both. You want to keep the old name as there is value in the history. And you can pick a shorter name to use for you AuComm store and direct the traffic from the old name to your new one.

I own 15 names that I use for my eBay and AuComm store.

As you can see in my sig. my Auctive store is MarineSupply.com and that is what I have setup here and at my google tools. I also own Marinesuppliesdirect.com and boatsupplydirect.com which are forwarded to Marinesupplydirect.com

I get about 100 hits from the other names a week.

Just to let you know the Auctive Commerce section of the board is at the top and a better place for answers on the store. What is funny is that most people ask questions about Auctiva for eBay up there.

Good Luck,
quote:
Deb, are you interested in using your domain for your off ebay Auctiva Commerce Store or do you mean your Auctiva eBay store?

You can use an existing domain name you already have if you want to. If you go to this page on the Auctiva site it will walk you thru the domain purchase process for either the Auctiva Commerce or Auctiva Store.

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/managedomains.aspx

Note that if you want to change your domain name (e.g.shorten the one you have) that's really the same thing as a new domain name.

Hope this helps.
Hi Guys, Yes I am not in the right place, want to open an auctiva commerce store. Always been a bit bass ackwards. Mike, I hope you are still there, I think what you are saying is I can keep the existing domain name, but not the website? I kinda remember, now that you mention it, they are two different entities. Does the email address associated with the domain stay attached, so to speak. When I get the first stuff set up will you tell me how to forward from the other names? Do your other names come up in a search engine thru, say, google? Is that where you get the 'about 100 hits'. Thank you so much. Your info helped a lot. Deb
quote:
Hi Guys, Yes I am not in the right place, want to open an auctiva commerce store. Always been a bit bass ackwards. Mike, I hope you are still there, I think what you are saying is I can keep the existing domain name, but not the website? I kinda remember, now that you mention it, they are two different entities. Does the email address associated with the domain stay attached, so to speak. When I get the first stuff set up will you tell me how to forward from the other names? Do your other names come up in a search engine thru, say, google? Is that where you get the 'about 100 hits'. Thank you so much. Your info helped a lot. Deb

No Problem. As far as being in the wrong forum a few of us have a canned message because so many end up up top when they belong here I just found it amusing the this was the other way around. Smile

Yes just keep the domain name and dump the website and you can forward your existing name to where you buy your new one if you want. Auctiva Commerce is your new website.

Just let me know when you need the help thru this post or my website.

There are direction here in the forums for goDaddy and I have my own domain name portal which is thru Wild West which is part of GoDaddy. Eshopping Domain Names

All my names will come up in searches and your old one should also. I also look for typo's and add them.

Yes your email is tied to to the domain name as long as it's not a yahoo email address.

Just a piece of advise do do the $19.95 package when you buy your store. Just go for the $9.95 store it is free till March if you go for the bundle you will not get a refund for the Commerce store.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.