Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ah yes....
A great idea that I wholeheartedly am in agreement with. BUT... I will never use them on eBay.
I used to make it very clear that we re-cycle useable shipping containers. Our standards for "useable" are quite high, ie: No damaged or crushed boxes, no boxes with writing or other markings that can't be hidden with a shipping label, no boxes that have moisture damage or stains, etc. In other words, basically a new box that has been used once before.
Unfotunately, there are buyers who don't beleive in "Green", and will give you a low shipping DSR for using re-cycled packaging materials.
We have had 2 instances of this that has cost us a low DSR. One party actually messaged us that she did not appreciate our using used boxes and fully expected new. She gave us all 5's except for Shipping and Handling charges; for that she gave us a 3. The other party messaged us that they were returning their order and wanted it resent in a NEW and UNUSED box or they would start a PayPal claim against us. They stated that they were offended by us using garbage to send their order. We accepted their return and then refunded their money and blocked them, eating the eBay FV fee. Both of these parties recieved their order in a like-new box; they literally had to peel off the shipping label to see that there was another label below.
For this reason we now ship eBay orders ONLY with NEW packaging materials and only use re-cycled boxes on our other sites.
Another FEEDBACK HOSTAGE incident...!!!
The problem is that the DSR is supposed to provide an objective measure of a seller's performance, but it allows buyers to use purely subjective standards of their own making - the two just don't go together.

That's why the whole star rating system needs a complete overhaul (or, preferably, being abandoned altogether), not tweaked here and there and in the process becoming ever more difficult to administer and understand, and consequently ever less meaningful.
To womandi....FAR-FETCHED...?? That makes me wonder just what you are inferring. Do you think I am just making this up because I have nothing better to do..??

I think it's great that you can get away with using recycled containers on eBay, but... even though I am fully in favor of using recycled boxes, if I got something sent in a used pizza box from you I would be returning it..!! Innovative packaging is one thing, but that is going a bit too far. Whatever you put in that box WILL smell like pizza..!! The ONLY thing I want coming in a pizza box is a LARGE SUPREME..!! Aside from the odor there is always the possibility of bacterial growth from that bit of pepperoni or sausage that hid in a corner and you missed.
Don't get me wrong.... if you get away with that, more power to you, but perhaps once you get slapped with a few low DSR's you will see where I am coming from. Beleive me, it takes a LOT of 5's to make up for a 2 or 3.

As I stated, we DO still use recycled containers on all of our other six stores. EBay is still an important part of our sales structure, as we employ our own innovative advertising and incentives in our packaging which leads approx. 40% of our eBay customers to a sale in one of our other stores. But..the way eBay has stripped the seller of the ability to defend themselves, we have been forced to go the route of ALL NEW PACKAGING. The worst that can happen in the other places by using recycled materials is that we might lose a future sale, not have our store defiled by negetive feedback from someone who obviously has no cares about where their world is going.

To masb99... You have it EXACTLY correct...!! I sold on eBay under a different name for years until we changed location and opened our small retail outlet and in all those years combined we never had as many problems as we have had in the last year. While, in 99% of our problem cases (which we have VERY few of) we are able to repair the situation to the customers satisfaction and then some, there will always be the ones who will never be pleased. These are the ones that are able to make things difficult under the current eBay system.

I see that there will soon be some "fixes" employed by eBay. I really don't see them doing a lot of good as they are currently described, but I applaud them (eBay) for finally seeing that their current system is broken in favor of the buyer.

It takes 2 parties to make eBay work, a buyer and a seller, and each should have equal protection, for without both, there would be no eBay.
quote:
Originally posted by The Kontry Korner Store:
Ah yes....
A great idea that I wholeheartedly am in agreement with. BUT... I will never use them on eBay.
I used to make it very clear that we re-cycle useable shipping containers. Our standards for "useable" are quite high, ie: No damaged or crushed boxes, no boxes with writing or other markings that can't be hidden with a shipping label, no boxes that have moisture damage or stains, etc. In other words, basically a new box that has been used once before.
Unfotunately, there are buyers who don't beleive in "Green", and will give you a low shipping DSR for using re-cycled packaging materials.
We have had 2 instances of this that has cost us a low DSR. One party actually messaged us that she did not appreciate our using used boxes and fully expected new. She gave us all 5's except for Shipping and Handling charges; for that she gave us a 3. The other party messaged us that they were returning their order and wanted it resent in a NEW and UNUSED box or they would start a PayPal claim against us. They stated that they were offended by us using garbage to send their order. We accepted their return and then refunded their money and blocked them, eating the eBay FV fee. Both of these parties recieved their order in a like-new box; they literally had to peel off the shipping label to see that there was another label below.
For this reason we now ship eBay orders ONLY with NEW packaging materials and only use re-cycled boxes on our other sites.
Another FEEDBACK HOSTAGE incident...!!!

"I cannot believe that people can be such jerks. I have received items from ebay in some pretty weird packaging but I have never even considered giving a lower rating for it. Those people who did that to you need to get a life. I am hoping that you just happened to find the weirdos on ebay. I think most people would welcome using recycled boxes. I feel bad for you."
Yes, BPS....There are some real doozies out there. But, I must honestly say that 99% of our customers are or end up being happy ones. It's just that 1% that makes for a bad day.

The ones that really irk me are those who give 3 or 4 stars for S&H costs. They figure that the postage is the only cost involved in getting their item to them. We clearly state that S&H includes not only the postage, but the cost of packaging and materials to safely ship their items. They don't take into account the cost of the padded envelope or box, the packing peanuts, the tape, etc. Plus, when they buy from any other mail-order or online store, they likely will pay much more shipping for the same item than we charge them.

Ah well....those be the joys of selling on eBay.... That is why we have 5 other stores online. Far fewer problems and no Feedback Hostage..!!
Hi- I also agree, people think we buy millions of boxes and get them for nothing and same with other supplies. Irritating to the max for sure.

However, do you mind sharing any of your other stores, I am looking into several avenues. Have sold for years and am wanting to venture onto other sites.

Any help you can share would be appreciated. ie. the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks so much.

Vickie

http://stores.ebay.com/VICKIES-VARIETY
I wish I had been able to get in on this and get some of the boxes. I love this idea and hope it works. I guess the only way to judge the success is to see how many people (that receive a box) log into the site to track where the box has been. Don't know that many people will take the time to do that which may make it look as if people are not interested.

I personally reuse boxes 90% of the time. I also use as little packing material as I can to safely ship the item. If an item can be shipped in it's own box (board games, inflatable kiddie pools) then it gets wrapped in heavy stock shipping paper as opposed to double boxing. If it can go in an envelope (DVD movies, Playstation games, etc) instead of a box it gets shipped that way.

I mention how I am big into recycling and not wasting packing material unless I have to within the listing. I also advise the buyer to let me know if they prefer an item double boxed or not shipped in an envelope, etc. I have had one person complain about a video game that she bought for her 4 year old daughter. She said her daughter was upset and so disappointed that the box got crushed on the corner. She hinted at a discount. Instead I just said that I was sorry and had figured out over my 10 years of selling that most people would much rather save 3-4 bucks in shipping costs due to added weight or priority shipping, even if it meant a crushed box that was going in the garbage anyway.

I have stopped worrying about what picky buyers complain about. I used to get so upset about trying to keep a 100% rating and work hard for 5 stars. I still give excellent customer service, ship fast, give good deals, offer the cheapest shipping I can - but I no longer will jump through hoops for people that know they can take advantage of ebay sellers.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.