Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
If you're using your own boxes, and get into very large sizes, then you'll need to measure to see if there's a oversize package surcharge.

Well, not necessarily "very large sizes." Anything over 1 cubic foot going to zones 5-8 now will go via the dimensional weight, which can be substantially more with pretty much medium-sized boxes. But if the height x width x length = 1728 inches or greater, than you need to divide the number by 194 to find out the DIM weight. Then, you use the greater of either the actual weight or Dim weight to calculate the cost (again, this is only for zones 5-8).

And as mentioned, no USPS branded boxes are subject to Dim weight.
well now.....

i just went to print a label earlier today via paypal and i had to put in dimensions for an thick ENVELOPE/package via priority mail....it wouldn't let me go any further without entering them! when i chose parcel post, no dimensions were needed! just an extra hoop to jump through!

....and i'd be careful with choosing the "over sized package" option as you can hork yourself on unnecessary postage fees if you're not careful....just a thought.

cheers,
kathleen Big Grin
I'm was just going according to the USPS instructions for using the calculator, which I read today. They said to check the oversized box option if you weren't sure so that you could enter the dimensions. The implication was that there would be no extra charge unless it went over the specified size. Your admonition is worth heeding however; just in case, I will do a test the next time I use the calculator just to make sure they aren't lying.
quote:
dimensions. The implication was that there would be no extra charge unless it went over the specified size. Your admonition is worth heeding however; just in case, I will do a test the next time I use the calculator just to make sure they aren't lying.

Nope - they're not lying. No extra charge by checking the "over sized package" -- particularly given the fact that it now refers to boxs over 1 cubic foot. But even before, even if you checked it because you weren't sure, it would serve up the correct amount after you entered the dimensions. And I did test this today repeatedly, btw.
But the big query is, when, if ever, will Mr. Poster incorporate the dimensions? And particularly given the increases, for lighter stuff, will you be able to do calculated shipping for more than one option? And if you can already do this, some give me a tip, as I don't see it, but then again, haven't been using Auctiva's Mr. Poster for all *that* long, and haven't had to worry too much about calculated postage previous to the new increases, particularly with what we sell...
Just left the post office asking a question regarding sizing. It used to be that if a box wasn't over 84" total it wasn't considered a 'large package'. Well, I have a package that is 50" x 8" x 7" [long and narrow] that only weighs 3 pounds. Because the one side goes over their magical 12" side rule, it's now considered a large package and will cost $28.25 to get from Florida to Washington. So make sure you put your measurements in when calculating shipping from now on.
Just to be clear, there is no 12" side rule. You can have a box that is 14x12x10 (which is 1680 inches) and still stay under the max of 1720. That long, narrow, flat box you referenced is 2800 inches, so it would go at the 15 pound rate, assuming it doesn't actually weigh more than 15 pounds (if it did, it would go at the actual weight rate). Yeah, confusing.
From what I understand, the dimensions have more to do with transportation than with whether they are machinable - although being non-machinable does carry an extra fee. My local post office clerks told me that the airlines were complaining about odd-sized packages taking up too much room, making it difficult to pack a lot of packages for the trip, so now everything (except USPS-branded boxes apprently) must be measured. I did notice, however, that when I went to update my shipping on some relists, eBay only asked for dimensions on the Priority Mail boxes, not the First Class or Media Mail packages. Since I use calculated shipping and USPS-branded boxes, I just left the measurement boxes blank.

2purrcats
Smile
This is a different issue from the one you ran into which is packages exceeding 1 cubic foot shipping via Priority Mail to zones 5, 6, 7, 8 now go by dim weight or actual weight, whichever is greater (and it's often going to be dim weight).

Here is some more info on this.
http://pe.usps.com/RateCase2007/QSG_HTML/Q120.htm

Actually, it sounds like you were being told about what qualifies as machinable for discount parcels. And I don't think this applies to Priority Mail at all.
I am really confused over all this, to me its a big mess. I was shipping last night and I was using a priority t-vek bag and I had to put in the measurements. This is insane! If using the priority boxes from USPS, why the ---- measurements?

Also, I am sure we don't always know the size of box we are going to use BEFORE shipping, especially if the buyer purchases more than (1) item. Maybe I am making it harder on myself, but I am very confused right now. I think the USPS has been smokin' something funny.
Any good advice out there?
California Girl,

If you're using USPS branded Priority Mail boxes, skip the measurements. They're not needed. Use them only if you're shipping a regular box that doesn't have Priority Mail printed on it. I think the only ones that will cost you more are the ones over 1 cubic foot going to zones 5, 6, 7, and 8 (see lurch-deeann's post above).

Don't worry about the fact that buyers purchasing multiple items don't have the correct postage before they bid. They know that it will either be the same (if sending in separate boxes, which is unlikelu, or go down, if combining shipping to one box). When you send them the invoice for multiple items, you can figure the measurements then. Use USPS.com to calculate postage at that point.

Hope this helps!

2purrcats
Cool
I think the new dimensional structure is the worst mistake in postal history. Nobody will be able to figure out. It will lead to mass frustration and confusion. And they think it's the greatest invention since the spoon. What's worse, USPS doesn't make its requirements clear. They make the requirements available (barely, in some cases). But available and clear are two different things. I for one can see that I'm not going to get any answers to my questions. I've tried. I've dug through the DMM and mined the USPS site for info and nothing is explained. The standards are scattered all over the site. They are simply saying we now have a dimensional standard and it's up to you to stumble upon the requirements. Like I said, the information is there. It's just not easy to grasp. I'm a Trading Assistant on eBay with some pretty substantial experience in shipping. In some cases, I'm more on top of things than the local post office. I'm confident I will be able to figure this new system out in the long run, but I feel even more sorry for the average customer who has no shipping experience and is in for a giant headache. USPS should have a dedicated guide to help people understand the new system. But they don't. Making a good and successful product more complicated and confusing is the biggest step backward a company can possibly take. They have an 11-step process for figuring out dim. weight--11 steps!!!!!! They've got you dividing and multiplying sizes. Since when did mailing a package require a degree in advanced math? That's an exaggeration. But I'd slam USPS with a big negative feedback for this one. This new system is completely unnecessary for the customer.

Now, here is my advice for anyone struggling with this and selling on eBay. 1) Always use calculated shipping so eBay does most of the work for you. 2) For USPS supplied boxes, never worry about size. 3) For any non-USPS supplied boxes, always measure the dimensions, and enter them into the dimension fields when setting up your shipping auctions. 4) eBay will calculate everything for you; no worrying about zones. 5) If you have a package that you know is non-machinable, select the "irregular package" box. 6) Always use free carrier pickup when applicable. At the very worst, USPS will return your package to you and you'll have to take some steps to make sure it is ready to send.
Just want everyone to know, if you use the USPS click n ship website for priority shipping it is not calculating in the dimensional weight charge. Yesterday I was trying to print a shipping label for a package that was 18 x 12 x 9 which puts it over the cubic inch rule. It was shipping from 33549 to 40965. The click n ship site gave me a rate of $10.20, the USPS regular site gave me a rate of $17.95. After pulling my hair out for a while thinking I was missing something, I finally took the package directly to the post office. They measured & weighed it and came up with $17.95. They said the $10.20 figure would have been under the old 84" rule [girth plus length].

So if you are shipping something that is more than 12 x 12 x 12 or not in a USPS priority mail box, don't use the postage-paid label from click n ship at this time. I called the USPS 800 number and talked with a technician and they [USPS] know there is a problem. They had no idea when it will be fixed.

I asked what would happen if someone printed a paid label and shipped the package [thinking that click n ship figures/labels were correct]. They said I should get a notice that additional postage was needed and my credit card would be charged the additional postage. I emphasize 'should' because I'm worried my buyers will get hit on their end and then I'm really going to hear the yelling.

So be careful and check the shipping figures click n ship is giving you against the regular USPS site. You would think that the PO [since they know it's a problem] would post a notice on their site but that's not the case.
It also puts a hurt on Combined Shipping when it doesn't all fit into the same size box. I have encouraged Combined Shipping in the past but unless it's a few more books I doubt that I'll be inclined to start quoting options when I have to find another box and do the math since I usually sell odd sized vintage merchandise. USPS shoots thenselves in the foot after years of trying to get back into the package business.
ok, here's my question.... on the auctiva listing page, if i click 'calculate shipping',(which i've never done, i've always used flat), it makes me enter in the dimensions... how am i supposed to know ahead of time what type of shipping the buyer will pick? something like makeup, say, that the buyer wants sent first class, will end up in a lil padded envelope. if they want priority, it'll be a completely different shape. altho i realize the whole thing sucks, does anyone have any ideas? thanks!

(stupid, stupid post office....) Roll Eyes
queen_mab,

It sounds like your packages are pretty small, in general. You don't need to put in the dimensions of the package unless it is considered large (over 1 cubic foot) or irregular. Those boxes on the Auctiva page are there just in case you need them - you can leave them blank.

I noticed that when I only offered parcel post (or whatever it is now), the measurement boxes went away.

2purrcats
Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Mike D.:
Hi Community,

Update!

In order to conform to the new USPS package dimension requirements, we will be adding the ability to enter package dimensions when USPS shipping services are selected to the Auctiva website as part of our next release, which is scheduled to take place in late May or early June 2007.

-Mike

Sounds good! Thanks for updating us.
Just a note to all sellers. I recently posted auctions on ebay and used ebay's shipping calculator. After the auctions posted, I checked ebay's figures against the USPS website figures.

The following happened: If the package went over the cubic foot rule and I selected 'package', the priority mail rate came up incorrect but the parcel rate was correct.

If I selected 'large package' the priority mail rate came up correct but the parcel rate was incorrect.

Moral of the story if shipping via USPS: Until ebay fixes the problem, only offer one choice of shipping [either priority or parcel] but not both on your auction page. If your buyer wants more choices, figure it yourself at the end of auction via USPS website.

I was online with an ebay rep for over an hour and they checked my listing. Everything in listing was correct...shipping calculator has a problem.

Just wanted to share my experience with you so you don't have to go stop auctions like I had to do because ebay's shipping calculator was computing the wrong figure.
typing in the STUPID DEMENSIONS on paypal yesterday yielded a weird thing. Parcel post was .30 less than Priority mail for a few pound box about the size of a flat rate box? And it would have taken upto 9 days for practically the same price??? GET your ACT TOGETHER USPS, or UPS will wipe the floor with you... and they have REAL tracking! Now, if they'd just lower they're prices a little!
just an "fyi" for some of you.....

what i also noticed was this:

i usually use "flat shipping rates" in all of my auctions.....so, with the new rate hikes, what i "had" been doing was opening up feebays shipping calculator wizard in their SIY form to figure out what the rate 'would be' for my item and then i would add my s/h fee and use that as my flat ship rate.

HOWEVER, feebay's rates are WRONG!!!! they are off by at least $1.00 on all shipment types (for USPS at least)....because i would be on the usps web site and i would be in paypal doing a "mock shipment" at the same time comparing the rates and what i found was that both paypal and the usps had the same (higher rate of course) and feebay was off by at least $1.....so when people paid for their item it would be let's say $5.20 for shipping, but when i actually went to ship it via paypal, it was $1 MORE!!!

so, any of you that may rely on feebay's shipping wizard, just know that it is OFFFFFF and can drastically hurt your bottom line and out-of-pocket expenses.

good luck,
kathleen Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Sell-it-Now_Auction-Express:
good luck,
kathleen Big Grin

Personal note Kathleen...did you my posting in the eBay Talk?

I know of someone wanting to liquidate their entire eBay inventory at wholesale costs.

They are hitting the road for real retirement and are liquidating. She's a member of ASM, too. Very trustworthy.

Get with me if you're interested or follow the info I posted.

Good Luck,
Donna
Lurch-deeann

We have received word that you have filed a support case for a Mr.Poster issue. I cant seemed to find it. Our engineering staff said that they have a resolution for this issue. Please reply back with your support case number
or email it to support@auctiva.com

Thank you,
Auctiva Support Cool

quote:
Originally posted by lurch-deeann:
This is a different issue from the one you ran into which is packages exceeding 1 cubic foot shipping via Priority Mail to zones 5, 6, 7, 8 now go by dim weight or actual weight, whichever is greater (and it's often going to be dim weight).

Here is some more info on this.
http://pe.usps.com/RateCase2007/QSG_HTML/Q120.htm

Actually, it sounds like you were being told about what qualifies as machinable for discount parcels. And I don't think this applies to Priority Mail at all.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by queen_mab:
how am i supposed to know ahead of time what type of shipping the buyer will pick? something like makeup, say, that the buyer wants sent first class, will end up in a lil padded envelope. if they want priority, it'll be a completely different shape. altho i realize the whole thing sucks, does anyone have any ideas? thanks![quote]

How can you not know how you will ship the item? Every item I ship has one packaging type for itself. It will never change depending on service type. I'm lucky that I never have to ship anything resembling an envelope. All my stuff requires boxes. But in order to use calculated shipping, I have to have the total package weight of each item and the dimensions before I ship it, so I can't not know the package type. Once you know your package, service type doesn't matter if you use calculated shipping. Not only is calculated easy in my opinion, but it ensures buyers are paying actual cost, not more or less, which helps us both.

This is why I use calculated. Otherwise I'd have to sit down and really get to know the postal requirements and rates, which I don't care to do. I know enough to ship every type of package I need, and if I don't know I can find it on USPS.com or in my personal shipping guides, which I created based on USPS standards.

And using USPS supplied boxes makes it a breeze. The USPS rates and standards are not too difficult if you use calculated. Most of the time you don't need to worry about oversizes, non-machinable, or balloon rates. And the beauty is you never have to worry about dim weights if you use calculated. As long as you enter the dimensions and weight, everything else will be calculated for you. This is why I think calculated is easier.
If you go to the usps site and want to calculate postage for priority mail, you need to click on larger box.
That is not the balloon rate, it is for the larger than a cubic foot box rate.

First,you will need to fill in the weight, and zip code and pick larger box.

That will take you to a new window where you can put in the box size measurements.
Then you pick the way you plan to ship, priority, parcel etc.

If you use the usps branded priority boxes, they have the dimensions already printed on them, so you just plug them in and the rest of the info.

I have done this and it did work for me.

If you want to use calculated shipping with auctiva (as far as I know) you need to select when doing your listing what types of shipping you are offering, priority, first class etc. so that the customer can make a choice when the auction ends.

But if these are not branded usps boxes and they are going to zones 5-8, are larger than a cubic foot total and beyond a certain weight, then as of now Auctiva is not able to do it now.

I am anxiously awaiting them to do this as one never knows if the buyer will want to combine items into a larger box, where it is going to be shipped (zones 5-8) to and how much it will weigh in total.

Paypal also requires that when you print out a postage label that you put in the measurements of the box. It is very simple to do.
Once you pick priority it will ask you for the box measurments.

I have tried this and it worked with the branded boxes from usps.

But this is a nightmare when it comes to the non-branded ones that exceed the new rules and regulations.

So here is hoping that Auctiva updates soon as I really like this site, but need the updates to properly list.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.