Skip to main content

Is anyone besides me upset about the new fees from eBay coming up? Now we will have to pay final value fees on shipping!! We already pay fees for shipping through Paypal. Isn't that enough for them? Most of my items are very reasonable. By the time I pay the fees, I have very little left over for me. I sell a variety of items that mostly run from 1-3 pounds. How can I hold down the price of shipping when USPS rates are set? This is just getting to be too much. Any suggestions from anyone? I have about 250 items in my eBay store.
Thanks for hearing me out
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Everyone I am sure is upset.

Below is the reason this has happened (besides ebay makes more money). We can all send thank you notes to people like this seller. I reported previously for 4 weeks for $50.00 shipping on a dress, that she specifically wrote that high ship covered cost of dress. Took ebay 4 weeks of reporting daily to have listing fixed. She is at it again, send her a thank you note, her and about 10,0000+ others.

$250.00 to ship a blackberry?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...355349#ht_857wt_1139

This listing specifically states why shipping is so high. Here is cut & paste of that part.
quote:
Shipping is high to cut down on fees, Price has been REDUCED by $5.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

We can thank the people who have done this for years and years.

Vickie

http://stores.ebay.com/VICKIES-VARIETY
Last edited by lookandbuyme
This just makes me so upset. I try hard to keep my buyers happy. I refund them shipping charges if I have estimated over $1.00 too much. When different rates go for different areas, how can one predict what it is going to be? Now USPS has regional flat rate boxes that complicate the mixture but helps closer buyers. I could flat rate for everything but hate to do that to my buyers.
Jan
Unfortunately, now the people who are casual sellers don't really care, so they just take their chances and they are not listing enough to even know there is a discount. Plus, ebay just ignores them anyway, even when reported. They have bigger fish to fry such as catching people like me who accidentally about once a month do a duplicate listing. (which irritates me because all they would have to do is have left that thing up where you could check daily to make sure, but they removed it like they really want to "GET YOU".

I do agree this lines ebay pockets quite a bit, but am surprised it did not come before now.

Grannyjan, have you tried the calculated shipping. I always thought I would NEVER do that. However, I tried it on some spreads, appliances and found it worked great and shipping was fairer for the buyer since it was determined by their location. Just a thought in case you had not tried. Just keep in mind if the package is oversized to put that in the calculator when you do because oversize items do cost more.

Also grannyjan, I had not heard of regional flat rate boxes, so will be checking into that.

Vickie

http://stores.ebay.com/VICKIES-VARIETY
You know the listing fee is a little irritating, the part that bothers me is they took down the checking thing so it appears they just are out to get you over this infraction of the kings rules AND the note they send they act like you have committed armed robbery. If they put the checker back up I would just check when I relist and they would not have to worry about me. They could mosey over to people charging $250.00 to ship a cell phone that they leave up.

Vickie
Vickie
I always use the calculator but since my items are different weights, I estimate the weights as closely as I can. I calculate sometimes on the heavy side and then refund the difference. Also, I give a discount if more than one item is ordered and refund the difference.
The regional rates are available if you use eBay to print labels. Just use the drop down for other shipping methods. Also, you have to have the regional box--I ordered from USPS.
Thanks,
Jan
Jan.. I did order boxes on Saturday. I had NOT even heard of this, do not know where I was when this came out, (obviously my head was in the sand or somewhere). Strange thing is I just got a packet from post office designed to "introduce new items" it was of PRIORITY MAIL products including the legal size flat rate and bubble. NOT one word was mentioned about Regional Boxes. You would think if you are introducing new products and ways to save this would at least have been mentioned.

Anyway, thanks Jan.

Vickie
I asked at my post office about the regional boxes and they were "clueless", totally clueless. You would have thought I was speaking a different language. They had never heard of them.

Wonder what qualifies as a "business" account seems they would save a lot of aggravation if they only let "business accounts" into the order form for those.

I did notice in the packet I got that they will print my logo onto the boxes if I have a business account and some other stipulations that I did not read.

Thanks
Vickie
While this bothers me, I will make the following changes to the way I do business so it does not effect me: Everything that is in my store with few exceptions is a "Accept Best Offer". Most everything there has already been up for auction, I have doubled the price of the starting bid and accept anything over half. The new fees will mean I will accept anything over 60%. I also will probably not have any new items that will allow for international purchase. My auctions that are first class mail related will have no change made to their shipping rate which is and has always been $1.35. Thats just my two cents....
You are close to how I handle my listings. First for auction and then to the store. I never thought about international--something to think about. I still don't know how this makes up for something shipping to the instate or across the country--quite a bit of difference in shipping when it gets above 1 pound.
I contacted eBay about the regional boxes and they said that they are the business that the shipping goes through so they are big enough to use the regional. You just have to ship through eBay shipping.
Thanks, Jan
There is not much we can do about it but I look at it this way.
Lets say ebay enforced that everything had to be free shipping(I hope this never happens). We would be paying the extra fees anyway becuase shipping is already added into our sale price.
Now I do not know if ebays changing the structure on what they charge but it used to be anything over 50.00 or 100.00(one of the 2) then the percentage they charge is lower. Something like 8.75 percent instead of 12 percent.
When shipping is added then at least it will be a lower fee if over these amounts.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.