Skip to main content

It is no secret that ebays fees are simply out of this world.

Anyway I found a great new place that has been around for some time now but they just entered the US market place a few weeks ago.

If 0 listing fees and 2% final value fees sounds good to you then come on over http://eBid.net

Featured listings ONLY a Dollar and they can run indefinitely!

I am still setting up over there myself and had a sale right off the bat.
I listed a 90 dollar coin as a featured listing "cost me a buck" and sold it 2 days later. My final value fees on this sale were Zero, ZIP, Notta, Nothing! However paypal was a different story. Roll Eyes

This place also lets you except google checkout. Wink

Whos laughing now ebay? Razz
-------------------------- Dsouth I List at http://eBid.net and Not eBay because I like my money in my pocket instead of ebays. - I earn Cash back on almost ALL of my Online purchases at http://BigCrumbs.com and it's 100% free.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

New place report.

I am happy to announce that..

I got a lot done this weekend and I am about 1/2 setup over there. I have about 250 of 500 items setup so far.

Also I had 2 more sales over the weekend.
One of the sales was for a very expensive coin worth over 2,200.00.

Had I sold that coin on feebay my final value fees would have been about 87.00 but here they were ZIP, Zero, Notta, Nothing. That's an extra 87++ dollars in my pocket, got to love it!

Oh well feebay better luck next time. Razz

I also got my very first POSITIVE feedback at that place. The person was so happy they even placed a second order with us totaling over 200.00 dollars for 5 items. Wink
Last edited by dsouth
Hello Dsouth,
I'm sick of ebay too. The last straw is dictating to me how I can accept payments. I feel like I got fired after 10 years. I've heard of ebid on the discussion boards. I have signed up and will check it out.
I noticed it says we can earn points. If you email me your email address I'll put your name down as the one who referred me.
How does that sound?
I don't know if we can put our email address' on here????
Pat
quote:
Originally posted by iluvledz:
Hello Dsouth,
I'm sick of ebay too. The last straw is dictating to me how I can accept payments.

I agree 100% with you. Ebay has some pretty big brass nuts if they think they can dictate to EVERY seller what types of payments they can and can't except, that's plain ridicules and very ballsy of them!
Add the across the board shipping caps coupled with the screwball feedback system then throw in the price hikes and it is no wonder people are leaving in droves.

It is no secret the economy stinks at this point and sales across the board in this country are at the lowest they been in decades. Most retailers are LOWERING prices to entice the customer to spend their hard earned dollars, yet feebay is raising theirs. Ebay is being simply moronic at best. Mark my words when I say "this will come back and bite them in the tail one day soon."

I think the way the buddy system works is I give them your email address and then they invite you to join.
I believe I also have a buddy link that will work. I have been busy setting up and haven’t looked over their buddy system yet.
Last edited by dsouth
eBay is getting out of hand. It has lost it core principles in trying to so-call "redefine" / "re-structure" them. No way to leave negative feedback is the most fustrating to me. It strikes at the core value of "making a safe haven for sellers and buyers" when you have no measuring stick based on past performances. I have had 6 "deadbeat" bids made in the last month; 12+ since the abolishing of negative feedback; before that in 2 years I may have had 4-5. Without the threat of negative feedback, there is no dafeguard to someone winning an auction and simply deciding not to pay or follow through on the transaction. Despite ebay simply giving you credit on setup fee, there is lost of time and effort on the seller to even make the listing and the waiting period / watching for the auction to end and the attempts to collect that are wasted emails and 20+ days to have eBay finally give you "pentances" to go away and forget the matter since there IS NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FOR BUYERS. Sorry for the "soapbox"; but, the fees and their sorry attempts to draw more sellers is such a crock. They low front end fees and jack up final fees (in the 'guise' of flatlining fees) is a slap in the face to anyone's intelligence and I don't want to get started on the PAYPAL monster they have in their backpocket (that they are apparently about to bring to bear). I see the exclusion of all forms of payment except for PayPal as the final avenue to thoroughly line their pockets and a major threat to sellers. Mark this down, they will get more pressure from losing sellers that they will eventually bring dow both front end and final fees; but, the "monster" will rear its ugly head and raise its collection / money handling fees to offset and likely increase their revenue loss on the ebay side; after all, you have to "come by the monster" to get paid. So good luck to all entrepeneurs trying to imitate the success of auctioning on-line; your day will come.
I am just SICK and TIRED of ebay and their baby paypal. I wish CA state attorney would look into their dealings, there is got to be something illegal going on there with ebay forcing all their sellers to use paypal and paypal taking orders from ebay to cancel sales and hold seller's money. I have had about 10 charge backs on paypal in the last 6 years ALL with customers that received their item, then filed a charge back. I did everything paypal asked me, showed proof of delivery, still lost every one of the cases. I kept asking paypal to let me deal with the credit card company directly, they are reasonable people, if I show proof of delivery then the customer can not claim item not received. But those idiots at paypal they just send you a copy of an email written by bunch of attorney's and never even fight your case with the credit card company.
quote:
Originally posted by barparts:
Wow, I just went to their sit and they are clearly a player. With well over 1 million listings, it puts them in line with ioffer, ecrater and epier.

Yes indeed. 2 weeks ago ebid U.S. had just 1.1 million listings and today 1.3.
My bet is in another month they will be ranked 3rd in listings and in another year 2nd, beating out iOffer.

1. Ebay 22,393,651 listings
2. iOffer 6,171,928 listings
3. eCarter 1,515,411 listings
4. eBid UK 1,346,217 listings
5. eBid US 1,329,066 listings

The above ranking info was taken from
http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

I did sell on ioffer for a bit but I find the site real SLOW and buggy. The time involved in dealing with that slow site is crazy. I also found that ioffer's customer service is on the same level as ebays "it's useless”
Last edited by dsouth
You might also check out Bonanzle.com. No listing fees, and they copied all my listing from eBay. Saved me the time of having to re-create over 200 listings. Up to 4 pics included per item. FVF are a flat fee depending upon selling price.

Haven't sold anything yet, but it has only been 2 days. In those two days, they have picked up over 100 new sellers and my store has been viewd 40 times.

Check it out!

www.bonanzle.com/booths/BlueStarlight
I've been buying and selling on a once-in-awhile basis on eBay for over 11 years now, and have some of the same gripes being registered about them here, particularly the new Paypal requirement, and sellers not being able to leave negative feedback. That said, I'd like to chime-in on the fee issue and coupla other things.

Regarding fees, I sense there's a difference between those who are doing expensive items, or massive 500+ listings as a business enterprise, and those like me who just have stuff to sell occasionally. I don't have exact numbers, but of the bazillions of items posted on the Bay, I'd guess the vast majority are like me. Depending on the final auction price of the things I sell, I'm paying anywhere between 8-13% for all the current associated fees to unload my items. That's part one to bear in mind.

Part two is that compared to others, eBay gives me two distinct advantages: lots of traffic and very detailed categories to post my stuff where people are going to look for it. There's some level of value in that to me, so when it's added to being able to avoid having yard sales, running ads in the local paper, answering phone call inquiries, and yadda, it kinda boils down to whether it's worth paying some other entity a percentage of my sales, which is a cost I know upfront. So yeah, if I sell something for $30, I don't mind losing $3.89 of it. It would cost me that much to run an ad in the paper, with no picture and only locals looking at it, along with all the other headaches.

Considering eBay is an "auction" site, the customary option for auctioning things to the highest bidder are auctioneers, who skim 30-40% off the selling price. They also nip buyers for up to another 20%. There's a cottage industry now of eBay consignment listers that I often hear people complain charge 30% + all fees to list someone's stuff on the Bay, but hey, if it only sells for $10, is $3 outrageous for their effort? 8-13% in fees sounds a little more reasonable in comparison to me, and I am getting benefits from the cost.

I'm not at all a member of the eBay fundamentalist fanclub, but do feel we're a capitalist society with an objective of business to make money. EBay is really good at it. So is Bill Gates, while offering buggy programs for years while building a $6M mansion. I read on the news boards here that a seller revolt in Australia prompted their eBay to retract the Paypal requirement. The same effort needs to happen here, or a mass exodus to get their attention, neither of which is likely to happen. I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to use multiple sites for selling if they have better terms, but with 178 people having bookmarked the 56 auctions I have posted on the Bay, I know for sure that effort will put cash in my pocket in three days. Paypal gives me automated fast payment, insurance to buyers, and no bounced checks with even higher outrageous fees, and that's worth 2.9% to me, altho I don't like to be told I can't gamble on check and MO's.
I just got a question REMOVED FROM SELLER DISCUSSION GROUP. I mentioned another company. This I was told was not allowed. I'm sure I've seen it before as people were suggesting this site and that site. Apparently some one must have reported that I mentioned a another site to sell items.The question had to do with getting some one to pay who didn't have a good standing with paypal. I was finding out that lots and lots of people are taking money orders. I wonder if this is the real reason why my question was removed.
Love ebid.net - Just opened 5 stores and am in the process of getting them stocked. Then will email my past bidders and send them over.
If we all work together, we can give ebay a run for their money with this site!
I am also jacobbaby on ebid. Come take a look! This is the address of my auctions. am going to list items really cheap to get buyers to come, look and stay at ebid.net

http://tinyurl.com/8vke5z
quote:
I read on the news boards here that a seller revolt in Australia prompted their eBay to retract the Paypal requirement. ...... Paypal gives me automated fast payment, insurance to buyers, and no bounced checks with even higher outrageous fees, and that's worth 2.9% to me, altho I don't like to be told I can't gamble on check and MO's.

It wasn't as much a "Sellers revolt" per se. It was a ruling from ACCC (Australian Consumer and Competition Commission). The "exclusive dealing" breaches the Australian Trade Practices Act 1974 (TPA) s46 for what is called "Third Line/Party Forcing" attempted by eBay. IF it doesn't tend to reduce competition then a Co can apply to the ACCC for protection from s46 for engaging in Third Line Forcing - eg eBay forcing everyone to use PP only. The rulings and details can be found here:

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/823668/fromItemId/336311

This is something that could be seen as anti-competitive behaviour in the USA as well (as elsewhere) - an anti-trust issue.

As for PayPal offering "protection" it is another hollow claim. They do nothing of the sort. But first, eBay's average purchase is for about $156 (AUD). It is quite safe to offer a 20,000 in protection when all items that could possibly cost that much is excluded form that "protection" - and then the "protection" is limited to the amount PP can STEAL out of a seller's account. I say STEAL as most people have never agreed to allow PP to draw money for any other purpose than eBay fees from a seller's account. If PP cannot steal the funds from a seller then they buyer can go whistle Dixie!

As for E-cheques via PayPal they can and do bounce sky high! Yet eBay forces even Aussies to accept rubber e-cheques or they pull listings that say "No e-Cheques"! Worse is that PP never informs a seller that an e-Cheque via them has bounced! PP and eBay deliberately MISLEAD people into believing an e-cheque is "payment". It is not.

What is coming to other places is that eBay will sell advertising that is embedded INTO a seller's Listing they have paid for - even when it is direct competition to the sellers listing! They do so in Australia already! They even claim the listing is "sponsored" by the spammers but eBay keeps the money! There is a cure for that - BILL THE SPAMMERS who pay around $10,000 a month for this imposition. Play hardball with the spammers and don't let them off the hook. Also complain to eBay about SPAM being on listings.

There is another good site for sellers from Australia - http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/ - it is a good site for buyers from anywhere in the world (less competition for the items Smile ), but they don't at present accept sellers from outside Australia.

Ta-Ta for now.
quote:
Originally posted by Dsouth:
Well ebid just beat out eCarter in the listing ranks.

Ebid is now the 3rd ranked site in the amount of listings ongoing.

Well, after having all of my items listed on ebid since October, I can state that ebid seems to be a worthless cause. Yes, I can see they have many listings. But the buyers have not followed. My ecrater account at least does sell items and I get a token sale or two from epier a month. So far on ebid, nothing. Nada. Nill. I will listed all my items to auto relist 10 times and once those run out, I will likely be dropping them. I don't know if ebid's items are searchable through any of the search engines, but I know that both ecrater and epier they are. Just a thought.
quote:
Well, after having all of my items listed on ebid since October, I can state that ebid seems to be a worthless cause. Yes, I can see they have many listings. But the buyers have not followed.

I tend to agree... I've been on eBid for over 2 months & have had one sale (turned out to be a non-payer).

There are plenty of places where it says that eBid has gallons of listings, but nowhere I've found that tells you how the sales compare with other sites.

I'll be persisting for a while, though...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dsouth:
Well ebid just beat out eCarter in the listing ranks.

Ebid is now the 3rd ranked site in the amount of listings ongoing.

Well, after having all of my items listed on ebid since October, I can state that ebid seems to be a worthless cause. Yes, I can see they have many listings. But the buyers have not followed. My ecrater account at least does sell items and I get a token sale or two from epier a month. So far on ebid, nothing. Nada. Nill. I will listed all my items to auto relist 10 times and once those run out, I will likely be dropping them. I don't know if ebid's items are searchable through any of the search engines, but I know that both ecrater and epier they are. Just a thought.

I admit things are slow but I am getting sales over at ebid. I sell collectibles, mainly coins, and in this economy things are going to be slow with my items. My sales were very slow at eBay even, before I moved shop.

I figured it would be a good time, because it’s slow, to move my e-store from ebay to ebid.
Things may be slow but I am very glad I am OUT of eBays CONTROL!
The best thing at eBid is the ZERO FVF's!
Below are 2 sales I got on the first of the year. My total fees for making the 500.00 sale at ebid was 2.00. It cost me a dollar each to list these items as featured listings.

Thu 01 Jan 2009 02:18:03 (EST) Final Value Fee x 5 2008-P United States Sacagawea Golden Dollar BU Roll
(9781760) Featured Auction Based off BuyNow Price of $49.95 0.00
Thu 01 Jan 2009 02:08:12 (EST) Final Value Fee x 5 2008-D United States Sacagawea Golden Dollar BU Roll
(9781762) Featured Auction Based off BuyNow Price of $49.95 0.00
Last edited by dsouth
I quit feebay 2 years ago and never looked back! Their arrogant attitude and non existant customer service coupled with their attitude of we can charge you anything was too much for me!

I had a huge store there, actually made a living. But, the constant changes that took way too much of my time and the messes they created were just over the top.

I like where I list now, I like how I do it, and I love the fact feebay gets ZERO dollars! I refuse to use Paypal, altho being in the business of setting up merchant accounts I understand who and what Pay Pal is, I do not consider it a viable option for me.

They say follow your passion, that is exactly what I have done now for the last 2 years, that passion did not include the headaches of FeeBay!
quote:
Originally posted by shopwithcarolina:
I quit feebay 2 years ago and never looked back! Their arrogant attitude and non existant customer service coupled with their attitude of we can charge you anything was too much for me!

I had a huge store there, actually made a living. But, the constant changes that took way too much of my time and the messes they created were just over the top.

I like where I list now, I like how I do it, and I love the fact feebay gets ZERO dollars! I refuse to use Paypal, altho being in the business of setting up merchant accounts I understand who and what Pay Pal is, I do not consider it a viable option for me.

They say follow your passion, that is exactly what I have done now for the last 2 years, that passion did not include the headaches of FeeBay!

Amen!

Actions speak much loader than words.

I would love to have 1 dollar for each person that jumped the ebay ship in the last 2 years. I bet I would be a millionaire many times over by now. Big Grin
OH YES!

I just had my first payment via Google checkout at ebid. I was beginning to wonder if the Google checkout option even worked, but I guess it dose.

Thanks eBid for giving me a new home and taking greedbay out of my life. Smile

My sales may be slow but with ebid my profit margins are skyrocketing. Now when I make a 50% profit it's mostly all MINE.

In short
Even with slower sales at ebid over eBay my profit margins are exploding because ebid isn't sucking 10%+++ right off the top.

If you insist on selling at ebay just kiss that 10++% goodbye. I am sure ebay will send you all a very nice thank you letter next year just before they raise FVF's once again. Razz

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.