Skip to main content

After 10 years on ebay, I thought I was reasonably familiar with Paypal dispute procedures.

This week, a buyer (pro seller) decided to pursue a SNAD issue thru ebay instead of paypal.

Are there any advantages (or pitfalls) for the seller when ebay "takes control" of the dispute process?

One thing for sure, the "dispute console" is a nightmare in progress.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Go to Ebays Answer Center or Discussion boards...they are filled with horror stories about the new Ebay buyer protection process.
Ebay is obviously clueless, understaffed, etc, etc on how to handle all the disputes they've been getting. I've read of them refunding a buyer for an item not received, even tho the seller had delivery confirmation. It's definitely a nightmare..all you can do is hope for the best Frown

here's the link to the 'rules'

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...ing=buyer+protection

here's another one that may help

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy...olving-problems.html
Buyer, a professional ebay & internet antique resller, purchases a $300 collectible.

Buyer leaves postive feedback for seller.

Buyer then sells item to third party.

Third party feels item is not "authentic" and returns item after several weeks.

Buyer files dispute and refuses requests for documentation supporting claim.

Ebay issues complete refund to buyer.

Ebay customer service rep states seller merely
"requested" documentation. He further stated
if the word "Demand" was used, documentation would have been required by ebay.

Ebay is now threatening turning the matter over to a collection agency for the "involuntary" refund THEY provided.

Nice venue.
Let me see if I have this right...your buyer resold the item they bought from you?? And now they've gotten a refund from you?? By reselling, they assumed posession of the item.

Call ebay and keep calling til you get someone who can straighten this out (it may take a couple of calls Frown
If you have a store you should already have access to a phone number...otherwise go to HELP and type in 'password' (that will always bring up a "call us" link) Try that and good luck!
"By reselling, they assumed possession of the item."

Not according to ebay.

Ebay and buyer BOTH refused multiple written requests for "documentation" to support the claim the item was not authentic.

Ebay simply refunded buyer with their own money and are now threatening seller with "Collection."

Behold the "new and improved" Dispute Resolution Process in action.....

p.s. The ebay rep also stated the "Signature Confirmation" requirement for items over $250 (currently used by Paypal) is applied on a "case by case" basis..in the ebay dispute process. Seller pays. Buyer does not.

"We are not Paypal..." was the reply by the ebay dispute rep.

One interesting twist:
The above was reported to Paypal and they refused (so far) to put a hold on my account.

Hence, the topic of this dilemma
Buyer buys a clock from Holland to be shipped to Vietnam.
Buyer paid by Paypal.
Clock shipped, was hold up by customs for a couple of weeks.
Buyer opens a dispute for not delivery.
Paypal debited my account for the purchase price plus shipping cost.
Buyer sent me an email that the clock was received but did not close the dispute.
I asked ebay, in my opinion responsible in case a buyer is not closing a dispute, to close the dispute, as usual not a reasonable answer.
I asked Paypal to credit my account for the amount, the referred me back to ebay.
I had contact with the Dutch Financial Authority and they told me that Paypal is acting as a bank and is most probably not allowed to debit my account ordered by eBay, they advised me to file an official complaint at the European Commission, since that's costing only US$ 50 or something like that.
I ordered paypal yesterday to credit my account with in 3 days.
Will be continued.
Its just another method of eBay favoring the buyer over the seller, and reducing any positive recourse a seller might have when we're automatically considered guilty. eBay needs to wake up to what is actually fair to both parties, since eBay's take over of PayPal the buyer now have multiple locations to attempt to defraud a seller. Just stick to your guns and don't become intimated, and bear in mind your guilty always in eBay consideration.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.