Skip to main content

Hello, My Windows Live One Care Antivirus Software continues to warn me of a treat from your website. Stated as Exploit:JS/MS09002.A (Category: Exploit). I have looked on your message boards and see that Mike did response to the problem but he didn't say if this was truly a virus or if any of our personal information (like our ebay password) has been compromised. Should I be changing all my passwords? Also, as of 4:06am I am still getting the treat warning from my antivirus software. In your message threads you stated that we should no longer be receiving the warning and I still am. Please let me know why this is happening and if it is truly a virus or if there is some glitch with your website and antivirus software. PLEASE let me know as soon as possible. I really appreciate your site and all of your help! I'm sure you'll be busy - goodluck!Have a nice day!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mike or Jeff, would you please tell us if the site is safe.

Also, the info needs to be posted on the eBay boards. The boards there are packed with complaints and warnings about Auctiva being unsafe. I would think a little PR telling users what is up would go a long way.

Also, there are reports of buyers getting the virus warning in Auctiva checkout.

If this site is not safe, please tell us. Because, if it is not, we do not need to be using it until it is fixed.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
quote:
What ebay board are you on?

There are complaints and warnings on many of the boards. There is a big thread on "Seller Central" with some geeks posting stuff that sounds pretty alarming.

I sell clothing, so I've been to the clothing board and there are at least two threads on it there.

If you search all the discussion boards using "Auctiva" as your search word, you'll see quite a few threads come up.
Please see my post here:
https://community.auctiva.com/e...?r=56410661#56410661

The reason warnings are still coming up within your browsers is because our auctiva.com domain is being flagged by Google and other sites as having malicious content on the site. We have cleared this virus and are working to make sure things remain clean.

As of right now, there is no harmful content on our servers. We will update the community if this changes and/or when Google removes the warnings.
My Virus program is flagging Auctiva with a trojan .. as of right now. 10:50pm
I am only in here because I used my husbands lap top with IE. With FireFox I cant get my password to work. I cant sign in to Auctiva or file a report.

When I look at my supersize photos on my listings.. A warning is poping up.. Are my customers seeing this!!!

If so they may not want to bid.. because the waring is saying that the site is trying to get personal information to use or give to other malicious sites.. THIS IS NOT GOOD ...

I cant afford to have my customers afraid of my site.
My customers are receiving the "site attack" warning when they are CHECKING OUT through Auctiva, which stops them from checking out. This is a huge issue. I went to try and disable Auctiva checkout, and the TROJAN VIRUS keeps trying to download on my computer! As of 11 pm, PST, Sunday, Feb 22. This is paralyzing for me and a true disappointment with Auctiva.
I posted this in the larger thread about the virus, but I figure it is worth posting here, too:

I have had lots of buyers contacting me about the "attack site" warning they are getting when trying to utilize the Auctiva check out function. The following is the email that I have been sending back to them. Feel free to borrow any of this language to help calm down any customers who might be upset with you:

"I am sorry to hear about your issues. Just about everyone that regularly uses Auctiva checkout has had the same problem tonight. I can assure you that the malware (virus) that infected Auctiva's servers has been eradicated. The virus came from China and it took Auctiva most of the weekend to clean it out of their 200 servers. So they are clean, but Google and Firefox both have to "rescan" the Auctiva site to clear up the "attack site" warning that you are getting. This might take a day or two, or it might take a week.

Even after Google and Firefox re-certify Auctiva as a trusted site, Auctiva may yet have issues with certain aspects of their business, including the check out function. If you prefer using Auctiva's check out function, I am not sure how to advise you to work around these issues. The Auctiva message board is rampant with eBay sellers who are furious about this messing up their business.

As for old ComixJoint here, there's not much I can do. I have over 1,400 auctions pre-built in Auctiva, with hundreds more to be built in the future. To maintain the weekly schedule I have planned in the coming months, it is impossible for me NOT to use Auctiva. Auctiva made it possible for me to build the type of auctions that I prefer buying from, and I'm sure most of my regular buyers enjoy the way I present my underground comics.

So, at least on a temporary basis, it may be necessary to find alternative ways to pay for your auction wins. One way is to use eBay's check out function. I always send eBay invoices to those who don't pay the first night after the auctions end. You may not be used to it, and it may not offer you the same options as Auctiva, but at least it gets the job done. Another alternative is to take your combined invoice total, add the shipping option fee that you prefer, and pay me directly through PayPal. You can send any PayPal payment to me directly through your PayPal account with my email address: mfoxartist@gmail.com

I will know by the amount that you send me which shipping option you want. You can also include a note with your PayPal payment that indicates your preferred shipping option. And since you control the amount you are sending me, feel free to take a couple bucks off the grand total for your unusable PayPal discount coupons, extra aggravation or whatever. I want my buyers to be happy, not feeling frustrated or cheated.

If you prefer, you can also send me a check or money order for the grand total to my mailing address:
Mark Fox
c/o Accredo
1670 Century Center Parkway
Memphis, TN 38134

Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience or frustration you may have experienced with your attempt to check out with Auctiva. I'm sure within a week or two, things will be back to normal and all this will eventually fade from our memories. Thank you for emailing me and, as always, thank you for your business. You are one of the loyal buyers that make selling my collection on eBay worthwhile.

Mark (ComixJoint)"
Out of interest, how much personal data from eBay and otherwise do you hold?

Your servers were compromised and yet it was a third party service that showed them to be. Does Auctiva not run proactive security on their hardware/websites?

Very worrying when someone who holds your details, and whom you rely upon for your sales income turns around and says, "hey we got some malware! But don't worry".

Coupled with this, Auctiva said to us, don't worry just disable your browser security warnings we are clean. When you were not.

Doesn't inspire trust now does it?
I don't know if anyone is still experiencing the following, but I am still getting the following alert when I try to connect to Auctiva with the option to be advised of an attack site selected in Firefox 3.0.6:

The site at www.auctiva.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

I have cleared my cache and cookies but can only get onto Auctiva when I deselect the suspected site attack option.

Any ideas Auctiva?
At this point its obvious Auctiva is operating just like every other small-shop software asp that does something stupid, gets into trouble, and then the whole flimsy slipshod nature of their business acumen, technical capability, and exposure to disaster becomes obvious.

They were compromised by Chinese malware and didn't even know it. They said it was fixed and advised users to disable security when it wasn't. They still (and will never) disclose exactly what the issues and virii are, and the sequence of events that led to this disaster, and the procedural changes that prevent that ever happening again. That's what real companies with paying customers HAVE to do.

This episode changes the trajectory of Auctiva. as a company. I'll still use it because its froo, but I would never pay 10 cents to use it, nor would I invest 10 cents in this management team or application. Any opportunity to develop a revenue-based business model or further capitalize the company is now probably lost. The business now can only grow by being sold, and of course it is now worth a lot less than it was last week.

Its sad, really, and I've seen this happen many, many times. This is a self-inflicted injury, and in this economic and investment environment, its a mortal wound, I believe.

Good luck, Auctiva...
quote:
Auctiva malicious software warning

It does look as though plenty of people are posting on eBay's forums but, as I said in my original post, I have to speak as I find and I've had no problems apart from the "suspected attack site" alert I get in FF. Disabling that function in FF then lets me log on and work as normal in Auctiva. My antivirus and firewall have not blocked anything (I'm using BullGuard)and I am still selling.
I do recognise your concern though if people on eBay are being blocked because of Auctiva. So far, touch wood, it hasn't happened to me yet.
Hi, I wanted to see if I should have a computer repair company look at my computer. Everyday since the malware problem I have had to remove a Trojan virus. I have done everything the sight says to do and my protection ware I have has said also ? I am hoping some one with more computer knowledge could help. I have cleared my caches, run scans at least 3 to 4 times a day and the trojan virus keeps having to put quarentine& disposed. Thanks for any help.
quote:
Originally posted by amanda-tammy:
Hi, I wanted to see if I should have a computer repair company look at my computer. Everyday since the malware problem I have had to remove a Trojan virus. I have done everything the sight says to do and my protection ware I have has said also ? I am hoping some one with more computer knowledge could help. I have cleared my caches, run scans at least 3 to 4 times a day and the trojan virus keeps having to put quarentine& disposed. Thanks for any help.

Dear Amanda tammy we had exactly the same problem as you had with the trojan virus keeping on reappearing we had the windows one care live program? I think thats what it called and to be honest I had no confidence in it I read that day someweher to download AVAST free trial for 60 days ? it immediately captured it and quarantined it we then went out and bought nortons and ran that the computer seemed to run a lot better since then but I am still not 100 percent relaxed about it though hope this helps a little I too am no computer buff but this did seem to work for us
I had items finishing on sunday on auctiva last weekend some did not seem to go as well as I expected especially one piece with lots of thumbnail pics that would need enlarging now I know why I lost out big time on that piece!
What I didnt realize and fully understand was that these listings were listed the weekend before not the infected period thursday to sunday but these were probably infected ! one buyer who actually managed to buy from me on sunday emailed me on sunday from australia to say he works for a university and that there computers have all the very best virus protection on and when he clicked on my photos during and after the sale the alert virus message came on damming my site!!! how many other potential customers did I lose or worse still infect?
I cancelled all my sunday night scheduled listings thankgoodness and listed again on Ebay not happy with their poor choice of templates or prices for photos I might add but i did feel this was the best thing to do for at least one week , however I still feel another ebay listing week coming on just for extra caution as i cannot afford to lose any more money or customers , I hope to return to auctiva but feel we need more positive guarentees and messages from them that all is truly safe now in every aspect we were told it was ok on sunday at some point when it wasnt really.
I am finding that when i look at other listings at the mo on ebay for auctiva customers it is extremely slow in downloading the pages etc surely this will also put potential customers off ? Hope all this will be sorted properly and we will have an email confirming this as some people are frightened to even visit the auctiva site at the moment .
I noticed my computer was not functioning as well it should for a good few days before the official warning periods of thursday to sunday is it possible then the virus was started before the thursday ? the only reason i ask this is that my listings that were live were listed the previous week to finish last sunday and they were giving out the warnings to some of my potential buyers Ok I wasnt told this until sunday/monday from then . I might be a bit thick but wasnt it supposed to be listings done on thursday friday saturday infected period that were just supposed to be corrupted or was it all live listings as well from previous days prior to thursday ? maybe its me just been cynical and thick but I kept saying all week that my computer wasnt right to my guy and he probably thought it was just me being a woman!! anyone else have the same probs?
quote:
David, have you cleared the cache on your browser? Try doing that, dumping everything, (use Clear Private Data in the FF Tools menu) close your browser, reopen it, and tell us if the Red Screen comes back or not.

Hi Laura,
Yes, did all that several days ago. However, things have now changed! I've now selected the option in FF to HAVE suspected attack sites notified to me (warning alert and logon blocked) but CAN NOW logon successfully. It would appear, as far as I can see, that all problems solved. Still selling, still receiving bids. I hope it's resolving for you too.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.