Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow! 40% would depress me dreadfully! I sell antiques and collectables, and regularly achieve 95% successful sales. How do I do that?
Trust – people can read my feedback.
Honesty – I mention and photograph every fault [if there is one] so people know exactly what they are getting.
Hard work – I research and properly describe everything I sell.
Fair postage – I do not make a profit on postage.
Low start price – 99p and no reserve. If it is worth £100 it won't sell for much less.
Timing – a 10 day listing, starting on Thursday evening and ending Sunday evening, giving two weekends to gain maximum exposure with both trade and private buyers.
Photographs – I never take just one when 8 or 10 or 16 would better, and always in focus.
Last but not least – I use Auctiva, a wonderful tool that has made my life so much easier, and managed to improve my sales by 10% from the day I signed up for it. Thanks Auctiva..!
Don't know if this article was to hype Ebay Stores or what?

Sounds more like a spin tale from Ebay, and if stores are the ticket think again!

With no promotion or hardly any items showing up in search, it is a waste of money.

Especially in the summer months, when it turns into giving a donation to Ebay.

Agree with some of the other post...clear pictures, fair shipping, and communication!
eBay used to be a lot better. Now it's stuffed to the rafters with knock-off peddlers and inflated shipping scammers. eBay said they would fix that, but to be honest it seems like it actually got worse. I used to have better than 95% sell through rate on 3 day auctions starting at .99 cents. What a pity it is that eBay needs their third-party vendor partner companies to write fluff articles to stay alive. I use eBay very sparingly these days.
Looks like a fluff piece to me as well. I list on eBay when I'm not busy with other work, or when I have estate pieces that need eBay exposure. My sell through is well over 90%.
Eclecticoldsod has it right (though I do make a small profit on shipping (maybe half of minimum wage when all is said and done), regardless of sniping from the peanut gallery.....
Since much of what I sell is on consignment and needs to be sold in a timely manner, a store makes no sense economically for me. I wonder if anyone else has experienced huge sales with a store - those I know that had them once have all shut them down.
Stores don't seem that good to me

The main killer is the auctions not showing up in a search. I can't understand why I would want to pay a monthly fee and higher final value fees just so I can be hidden from searches and list for 30 days at a fraction of the cost.

I list all my items BIN for 10 days, and most sell within that time, the odd one slips though and then is snapped up as soon as I relist (most people seem to view my items by newly listed)
Every article or post like this tends to over simplify or generalize conditions, results, items and strategies. Forgetting about that for now, I would like to know using the mostly $10 "one of a kind" type items, exactly how much does Ms. Dralle make per item on average and how does that work out on an hourly basis? What did she pay for these items? $1 to $5? My experience is that people don't pay much more for an item on eBay than at a garage sale especially when you factor in postage. But let's assume that the seller pays $5 for the item and sells it for $10. Take off your selling fees and you are at about $9. So you made $4. So, what is your time worth? Let's use $10/hr (about $20,000/year) which is low but let's use it. How many of you can post about 9 items an hour assuming a 40% sell rate? This would include taking and editing pictures, writing a description and maybe doing a little research. I am not but you should factor in packing materials and time to pack. The number simply don’t add up for me. I can see where you can increase your income by working more hours but I just cannot see how anyone could possibly be making $10 per hour selling $10 items.

It would be hard to disagree with eclecticoldsod’s approach but whatever time Ms. Dralle is spending on posting her auctions, I am sure he is spending at least three times longer posting an item. Even with a 95% sell through more time devoted to selling sounds like a bigger losing proposition to me.

It baffles me completely how eBay has increased its fees over the years and still stays viable as a marketplace for people trying to make a living selling on eBay. I guess there is no end to the number of people that think that eBay will work for them. Most sellers that were making a living on eBay are long gone.

F.Y.I. For me at times when I sell, eBay has always been and still serves as a glorified yard sale and though prices have fallen dramatically you can usually dump things quick. Great prices if you’re a buyer though the honesty and professionalism of the sellers on eBay now is a far cry from those selling 5 years ago or so!
I read the article recently in another location and I think it is right on. A definite working business plan. From the comments on here, guess not too many people will implement it. I already have a store for one of my seller names and it makes its way in sales. I use the auctions as lead in items to get people to the store to buy from there. I also have another seller identity and buy and sell small antiques and collectibles. I have been thinking of definitely implementing the mentioned articles plan. Particularly since I am already buying and selling the same kind of items.

Face it, we would not be having this conversation except that all of us sell on Ebay, like it or not. I am no friend of Ebays, just a user, like they do with me. I'm there to make money, simple as that.
I agree with most of the article. There are many variables that can affect a good selling strategy.

First, my business plan (yes, everyone should have one) is based on a high level of customer service, which has certainly been lacking on eBay. If I consistently please the customer by selling quality products, ship the day payment is received (Priority Mail), respond to emails quickly, and follow up with customers after the sale, the profit takes care of iteself.

While I do not sell that many items in my store, it does get a high volume of page hits from buyers wanting to see my other items. Also, if you use keywords well in your store, you get visibility in Google searches. Often, I do Google searches on my products, I frequently see my store on the first page of search results.

I also have over a hundred folks on my list whi want to get email messages when I have new products come in.

Oh, yes my sell through is about 65%, and I am ecstatic about it. I could make it better, but I could also lose money ;-)

The new fees have hurt a little, but free gallery images helps. Also, my dsr's have been good enough to get 5% and once 15% off my Final Value fees.

I ramble. Overall, I am still doing pretty well financially on eBay and plan to stay awhile. Good luck all!!
This was an interesting article. And I really appreciate your expertise.

I will mention one thing however from my buyer's perspective: If a seller has listed an item at a price that wouldn't sell and then I noticed that item in their ebay store listed for a higher price, that would be the end of my dealings with that seller. It would raise many suspicions on my part...and we all know how easily fraud and scams are perpetrated on ebay.

I may be the oddball here, but you might want to think of this angle.
quote:
I will mention one thing however from my buyer's perspective: If a seller has listed an item at a price that wouldn't sell and then I noticed that item in their ebay store listed for a higher price, that would be the end of my dealings with that seller. It would raise many suspicions on my part...and we all know how easily fraud and scams are perpetrated on ebay.

There is NO fraud involved in the above scenario, can you clarify? I don't have a store but I do the same thing. If I have to relist an item that didn't sell, I usually raise the price. It's just trying to make a buck without the fees killing us, a seller can ask any price they want. Doesn't mean they'll get it.... Wink
Hello Dinosaur,
I personally do not increase the cost of items if they do not sell in auction when I move it into my eBay shop, but I understand why those who do, do. It is because selling fees for items in the shop are much higher, so if you list something for the minimum you need to sell it for, you could end up selling items in the shop at a loss. Just a thought!
I agree with most points in this article except the claim that the eBay store gets ton of exposure. That comment almost made me fall of my chair! The only exposure it gets is when the seller drives traffic to it through auction listings or by self-promoting(and of course if the buyer searches in stores, which is less likely to happen.
About raising the price when sending it to the store...that only makes sense. For example, if I list something for auction at 1.99, expecting bidding to drive it it up to its actual value of 9.99, I am not going to list it in my store for 1.99 if it doesn't sell at auction. That would be ridiculous because it is worth 9.99. SO, maybe I would list it at 9.99 and put a best offer option on it. Or, maybe list it for more than 9.99 with best offer. But, I wouldn't list it at the auction price.
I don't know what my sell through rate is and I don't care at this point. I am trying to build a new business and that will take time. Right now, I can't even do that because of the stupid problem I have that my Auctiva photos are disappearing from my listings, but are still in Auctiva images.
Oh well, I just wanted to comment on this post, because it kind of hit a nerve.
quote:
If a seller has listed an item at a price that wouldn't sell and then I noticed that item in their ebay store listed for a higher price, that would be the end of my dealings with that seller. It would raise many suspicions on my part...and we all know how easily fraud and scams are perpetrated on ebay

Hi dinosaur the store format is only a form of BIN listing and even on auction listings sellers often list a BIN price for those in a hurry alongside a lower starting auction start. No point in the BIN price being lower than the auction start price even for a store BIN item.

And how do you know it will not sell, you would be amazed at how an item can attract no interest for 3 listings running and all of a sudden two buyers fight over it. eBay may be live 24/7 but the buyer for your item may just be in for a browse occasionally.

So it's not a scam, Ms M is right as usual
Smile

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.