Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

thanks for the heads up and for the externally hosted image options. Smile

(and sorry about replying in your news/notices thread)

externally hosted images - will be nice. most of mine are already on my site and always thought it silly to move 'em over and eat up more bandwidth, time, etc. sure, could code 'em in by hand, but still...

thanks again
Early Friday morning we'll be doing a site update. It's not a server/hardware change.

The main difference between this site update and all of our previous ones is that we've held off for a few months instead of just doing weekly updates as we added features. With this new process, we've actually done a lot more testing than normal.

I expect it to go just as smooth as our normal site propogations and for the site to be back up within 30 minutes of the end of maintenance. But, just in case we have to revert to the old version of the site or do a quick fix and re-release, we wanted to put the warning up for everyone. Smile

-Kevin
Sneak Peak of our new features
--------------------------------------------

For those who'd like to see what the new features will look like on the site before it goes live for everyone, you can try our beta site out.

A few things to keep in mind though:

1. The beta site is using your LIVE auction data and is connected with the LIVE ebay site. So, if you post an auction, it will actually post to eBay.

2. Auctions that you create on the beta site will NOT show up correctly on the current Auctiva site.

3. Scheduling will NOT work on the beta site. If you do want to Post to the live eBay site, you'll have to use the "post" button. Keep in mind that the same auction will then not be able to post/schedule back on the current Auctiva site.

4. The Auto feedback service is NOT running on the beta site. You can leave feedback though from the transactions page.

5. Custom templates will NOT work properly between beta and live site.

All of these issues will not be issues when we make the beta test the new live site.

And finally... the link to the beta site:
(Link removed as the live site now has the same site as the beta previously had)

Feel free to post comments here.

-Kevin
Last edited by auctivakevink
LMAO @ Donna!

Hey, I need a button with that image for ebay live! Big Grin been awhile since i've been pinkslapped on ebay forums, though. guess i need to try harder *grin*

slightly off topic (my pinkslap story) -- i'm the one that caused ebay to start warning people about spoofs on their main pages (rather than only warning in forums like they had been).

I nearly fell for a phish and after some digging found the warning buried in the forums. i felt that wasnt enough and went to CBS News and got them to run story on national news (as part of their friday consumer alert series) about ebay spoofs and phishing in general. when preparing the story, they asked me to try to find people that had been victims (instead of near victim like i was).

so i posted on ebay forums about it and that was going to the media about it and asking for any victims to step forward. got pinkslapped because all requests for info by the media have to go through their legal dept. (nevermind the fact that i was just a concerned private citizen and not the media themselves).

and got pinkslapped again for complaining about the pink slap on the forums.

CBS news ran the story (using my email acct so they could show the spoof email on news), ebay began putting warnings on main pages of site, and ebay spent quite a bit of $ running a series of commercials about how great it was to shop on ebay.

So, i'm not the most popular guy when it comes to ebay's upper mgmt - laf!
Last edited by wayoutwest
store window appears to also not be working.

i spent yesterday getting sister set up for selling on ebay (getting her ebay acct id verified so can use as a seller acct, getting her a photo area set up, teaching her auctiva -- heaven forbid she'd use one of those other places Wink , etc). Anyway, store window was working on her listings last night (before the update). today they say "No Items Available"

here's one of her items if you want to look http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Antique-Finish-Elk-Candle-Hol...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by wayoutwest
Hi all. New site is not yet live, we're still finishing up normal maintenance.

I'm not sure why supersize images are displaying a maintenance page when you try to view them. Those images are not dependant on the database and thus should display as normal. I'll have someone look into why that's happening.

As for the store window, that unfortunately can't generate what items to display if the database is down. It is normally cached for a couple of hours and thus can make it through some of maintenance time with the previous items it was loaded with, but as soon as the caching time ends and it tries to load new items, if the database is still down for maintenance, it won't be able to get new items.

The database should come back online shortly and your store windows will generate new items.

-Kevin
hello all,

i am new here (*waves*) and was just wondering about some things.. hopefully since they were mentioned in this thread, they'll be ok here... pls. move me if i'm in the wrong place! and pls. don't think i'm a dodo, i'm sure some of these q's seem obvious, but i'm also new to selling, and honestly don't know this stuff! Wink as for the alert, didn't notice it at all and didn't get a popup.. tried to get on last nite when i noticed ebay's 20 cent listings, but site was 'flaky' (i'm est so i guess things were in progress already)... sad to miss out on that, but at least i learned to pay attention about updates! Wink

here's my q's:
what is ebay live? and what do the auctiva updates pertain to?

i saw some peeps mention auto feedback service; i've never noticed that; where is it exactly?

and here's the biggie... what exactly is beta and does that mean there will be two versions of auctiva, or is the site switching to beta...
(remember, i haven't even been doing this a week, so bear with me! Wink

and finally, what's the diff. btwn listing on auctiva, and using the 'classic software', and is the old software still available?

i think that's it for now; thanks for your patience and info!

and btw, i'm really glad i found auctiva... i've been talking about selling on ebay for so long, but don't know if i ever would have done it w/o this site! *cheers*
queen,

Here's some quick answers... you might want to start a new thread after we're done working on the updates and maintenance if you still have other questions.

eBay live is eBay's annual conference. You can find more on that at:
http://pages.ebay.com/ebaylive/

We update our site every now and then with the newest features we've worked on and to put out fixes to any problems that are on the previous version of the site. This update is a lot bigger than our normal ones, hence the site having to go down for a bit longer than normal.

The beta site was just a place people could preview some of the new features. It will be down after today and you can use the normal Auctiva site just like normal.

-Kevin
kevin,
thanks for the quick reply! i have a better idea of what you guys were discussing in here, and will prolly ask more detailed q's later like you suggested. and you can just call me mab! Wink

quote:
It will be down after today and you can use the normal Auctiva site just like normal.

-Kevin

and how kind of you to assume i'm normal! Wink and you don't even really know me! Wink lol
quote:
Originally posted by queen_mab:
i saw some peeps mention auto feedback service; i've never noticed that; where is it exactly?
function is not yet visible/available. is in update that theyre releasing today.

quote:

and here's the biggie... what exactly is beta

in computer terminology, when youre creating software, you have the alpha (which is the very basic prototype of the product), and the beta (which is the working prototype but still needs work, may have bugs, etc) (and then of course you have the finished product that is released)

the auctiva beta was where upcoming changes to site were being tested, reviewed, etc.
quote:

and does that mean there will be two versions of auctiva, or is the site switching to beta...
there wont be two versions, no. and unlike microsoft and ebay, who both seem to constantly keep their products in "beta testing" mode, site wont be switched to beta Wink

quote:

and finally, what's the diff. btwn listing on auctiva, and using the 'classic software', and is the old software still available?

classic auctiva is still available. site is http://classic.auctiva.com basically the difference is that classic auctiva runs on your computer, whereas new auctiva is through website.
quote:

and btw, i'm really glad i found auctiva... i've been talking about selling on ebay for so long, but don't know if i ever would have done it w/o this site! *cheers*
welcome to auctiva! kick your shoes off, sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay Smile
Site is coing back up online. I'd still hold off from using it until we say it's good to go.

I see that there are a few things we're still working out with syncing the new site with the database updates.

If you open your saved listings and it's blank, please DO NOT save. Just leave that page and don't save. Your data is there, it's just not loading from the database correctly right now.

-Kevin
We had to do another update to the database. In order to make this happen as quickly as possible we shut down the website so that we would not have anything else impacting the database.

I imagine this will take 15-20 minutes. At that point we'll then bring the site back up and check to make sure everything is okay. I'll then let you know at that point how things are.

-Kevin
Okay, we're bring the site back up on all the servers. Please report ASAP if you notice anything wrong with your saved listings or anything else on the site.

If something is not right with any of your saved listigns after you load it up on our lister page, make sure to NOT save. Just exit out and report to us on here what is not correct.

We'll be checking these boards throughout the day. Although this is the last post from me today, as I'm off to eBay live.

Thanks all of your for your patience. Hopefully you'll enjoy some of the new features we're releasing.

-Kevin
quote:
Originally posted by queen_mab:
I noticed before there was a 'seller details' section under profiles.. now there is the link in the 'menu bar',but it doesn't go anywhere.. this seems kinda like 'shipping details' that we can add; is it the same, and where'd it go?

Hi queen_mab -

The 'Seller Details" section is an enhanced version of the old 'Shipping Details" section. When you use a template for your listings you can now add from 1-5 information sections on your listing: Payment, Shipping, About Me, Terms of Sale and Contact Us.

'Seller Details' behaves like any other profile. You can make as many varieties as you need to speed up your lisitng process. You can leave off any of the information sections that don't apply to you. When you are on the one-page lister, once you choose a template, a drop down menu with all your saved 'Seller Details' profiles appears to the right. Choose the one you want and the information is automatically added on your template.

About the sub-nav in the Profiles, the link currently takes you to the Manage Seller Details page (which probably does look pretty bare if you don't have anything created yet) but there is a "Create New" button at the top left of that page which will take you to the Seller Details Wizard. This is where you type your information for each section.

For additional help, you can click on the Help Icon (the question mark) to the right of 'Seller Details' on the Profiles landing page or click the Help link at the top of each page to visit our updated Help page.

Happy listing!

Cara
Hi there, saw that the site was back up so I decided to try and list a thing or two. I quickly noticed something, when you click to change font color, the color options show up at the top of the page instead of at the drop down box. Same thing happened when I right-clicked to copy.

Thanks, Richard

edit: jsut to clarify, This appears to be happening with all of the format options above the text body.
something else...

my store window is empty and says'sorry i have no items for sale!' ...made sure it was enabled, and it is, any ideas....?

edit/ sorry, and also, on my 'active listings' page, i have an auction that has a bid, and it's not registering as being bid on there, or in my store... but another one that has a bid IS listed... and this was actually happening b4 the updates... any ideas on why this is happening? thanks!

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.