Okay -- making a custom template with Auctiva's custom template tool is a breeze.

STEP ONE: Go into the custom html editor and insert your custom template html (minus the title, description and picture tags. Those come later) add your custom template html under HTML MODE.

STEP TWO: Click onto the DESIGN VIEW of the html editor. You should now be able to see your custom template. Now, you will add your TITLE TAG, DESCRIPTION TAG and PICTURE TAGS.

Begin with your TITLE TAG. Place your cursor where you want your TITLE to appear within your listings and left click on that space, then go over to the TITLE TAG and click on it. You should see the title tag appear in the position you chose for it.

Next do the same thing with your DESCRIPTION TAG and your PICTURE TAGS. Place these tags wherever you want them to appear within your listing. The html for the title, description and picture placement with be automatically generated by these tags.


So, you start by placing your custom template html into the html editor while in the html mode. Then you click onto the design mode and enter all of the html tags where you want them.

You will see your custom template with the tags placed within it. This is how it is suppose to look.

Once you go in to list and create a listing all of these html tags will automatically insert the title, description and pictures into your listing. Easy huh? I know you love it as much as I do. Now get busy listing and making lots of money!

Yea, Auctiva!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Some people should be content watching the grass grow. Instead of committing felonies.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by lachi0820:
Hello, I'm new to creating a template using html and was wondering where I would paste the html when I am creating a new listing. I read many previous Q&A but am still confused... please advise. Thank you.


Hi. Open the "Create Custom Templates" page under the "Listing" tab (http://www.auctiva.com/listings/template_createcustom.aspx) . That rectangular gray-bordered box that is the biggest thing on the page is the editor. Down at the bottom of the editor are two tabs, one which says "design" and the other "HTML". Click on the "HTML" tab. Then click in the white area of the editor (so the cursor is showing) and then paste your HTML.

Like all WYSIWYG editors, they don't like us hand coders, and WYS is often not WYG. Plus it thinks it's smarter than you and likes to mess around with your code. Also they're all prone to putting in a lot of unnecessary garbage tags if you do any tweaking from the "design" side.

I would suggest writing your code in a simple editior like HTMLkit which is free, and use it to preview the end result in whatever browser you want. THEN, paste the whole thing into Auctiva and save it.

I downloaded I.E., Mozilla, Netscape6 and 7, Firefox, and Opera, and I check my templates on all of them. Rule of thumb: Write your HTML for Firefox and then do your kludges for I.E. Like centering, for example.

YMMV.
HTML is the written coding that creates a template. You must write it yourself, purchase a custom template that is already written or use a donated template.

Here's an example: right click on this page and then choose 'View Source'. See all of the writing? This is html coding.

All of that coding is creating this page you're viewing. Neat, huh?

Then after getting your custom template you would copy the entire html code and place it per the instructions above.

You might want to go ahead and just use the Auctiva premade listing templates. They're ready to go. Just add your description, pictures and terms.

Then off you gooooooooooo....
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Magie Noire:
Okay -- making a custom template with Auctiva's custom template tool is a breeze.

STEP ONE: Go into the custom html editor and insert your custom template html (minus the title, description and picture tags. Those come later) add your custom template html under HTML MODE.

Ok, I am trying this but have a question. I have been working on an ad that seems to work in Ebay,,(haven't listed it yet,) but when I copy and paste the html, the borders and pictures don't show up under the custom listing in auctiva. I read your tutorial, and am determined to learn how to do this. First I get an error message that says that my ad can contain no more than one description tag. Ok,,I am lost right there.....then the next thing you mention is picture tags....I had been hosting those photos temporarily while I was "practicing in Ebay" from photobucket. I plugged my html into the practice board here and the borders of the table still are blank and the photo's don't show up. I am probably doing something simple but wrong,,only I am stumped. Not a quiter though...hanging in there,,just waving my arms above my head for help and chanting,,"you can do this...you can do this..." lol
I was using the practice board that was listed here,,just erasing what was there and putting in my information. Anyway, I finally got my listing to work in the regular Auctiva. It went online last night successfully. Still, I don't know what a DESCRIPTION tag is. I have a lot to learn. I did get a book on HTML and XHTML for my birthday, but still, I have a LOT to learn. Oh well, we all have to start somewhere.
Merry Christmas,
graygirl61
The html tags tell the Auctiva program 'what' and 'where' to place each item within the html code. Each auction management program seems to have their unique html tags.

You might have previous html tags from wherever already within your template. Then you're attempting to add the Auctiva tags resulting in the error message you're receiving.

Try posting your html template here.

Post You Template Here

This way, we can all look at the code together and help you learn what is what and how to correct it. Yes, we all have to start somewhere. I still laugh because when is started all I knew was where the on and off button to my computer was located. I swear, it's true. I'll check back.
Want a great book on HTML?

It's called "easy HTML for ebay" by Nicholas Chase. I know it's a great book because I was the technical editor! Big Grin
Check it out at the library, read it over and then if you like it, buy yourself a copy. It came out back in June 2005 or so.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand where I have to go to use these new templates. I'm using Auctiva Poster v4.5. It says go to the Listings tab and open the "Create Custom Templates" tab. I don't find a listings tab in Auctiva Poster. What are you using to list these in and are new ones not available in Auctiva Poster 4.5?
quote:
Originally posted by BevsDiscountFashions:
I'm using Auctiva Poster v4.5. It says go to the Listings tab and open the "Create Custom Templates" tab. I don't find a listings tab in Auctiva Poster. What are you using to list these in and are new ones not available in Auctiva Poster 4.5?

I'm not using Auctiva Poster 4.5 so I'm not much of a help.

I'd suggest sending in a help ticket. Top right hand and perhaps Auctiva Support can send you the link.

I wish I could help but I don't use the poster.

Best of Luck,
Donna
I have a templet that my group made for a launch on ebay so I took the html and place my listing info into it on the practice board they had. When I moved it here to auctiva I put it in the listing I was making and previewed it everything looked great. When I went to schedule the listing I get this message. "Your ad was saved but not scheduled. The description contains one or more deleted images. Please check your description, remove these images, and try again." What in the world is a deleted image? How do you remove a deleted image? Is this because my templet was not saved in the custom templet area? I am going to try and do that while I wait for one of you wonderful people who know this system like the back your hands to enlighten me. This is my first attempt at html and I was soooo happy it all worked in the preview!! Nothing can be this easy! LOL Thanks for the help, Kimberly
quote:
Originally posted by Little Ruthie Designs:
I have a templet that my group made for a launch on ebay so I took the html and place my listing info into it on the practice board they had. When I moved it here to auctiva I put it in the listing I was making and previewed it everything looked great. When I went to schedule the listing I get this message. "Your ad was saved but not scheduled. The description contains one or more deleted images. Please check your description, remove these images, and try again." What in the world is a deleted image? How do you remove a deleted image? Is this because my templet was not saved in the custom templet area? I am going to try and do that while I wait for one of you wonderful people who know this system like the back your hands to enlighten me. This is my first attempt at html and I was soooo happy it all worked in the preview!! Nothing can be this easy! LOL Thanks for the help, Kimberly


I'm not sure exactly what you did or what is going wrong with your custom template.

Please follow the above custom template instructions. I suggest you print them out so you can refer back to them while editing your custom template.

Remember, you will have to place the Auctiva html call tags into custom template. This will tell Auctiva to place your pictures, descrption and whatever else you choose to place in your template. Without the Auctiva html tags, the system won't be able to put anything, anywhere.

Once again, print out the above instructions.

Then follow them step by step. If this doesn't help, post again. Someone will try and help.

Good luck! : )
Hi, I'm another new person to html and I appreciate you being here. My question is: I would like to use the Auctiva template "Liquid Blue" and add a different background (fill?) and change some button styles. Am I able to do this? How? Thanks again.
sweetrose
I am new to the site and HTML as well. I am currently using the "black cap 4" Template (the blue one), and I am using the pictures on the left setting. I was wondering if there was a way to make it so that AFTER the pictures, the template would widen to fit around 80% of the page, instead of all being jammed to the right side the whole way down, even when the pictures are left way at the top. Is there a way to do this?
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Binghamton:
quote:
Originally posted by lachi0820:
Hello, I'm new to creating a template using html and was wondering where I would paste the html when I am creating a new listing. I read many previous Q&A but am still confused... please advise. Thank you.


Hi. Open the "Create Custom Templates" page under the "Listing" tab (http://www.auctiva.com/listings/template_createcustom.aspx) . That rectangular gray-bordered box that is the biggest thing on the page is the editor. Down at the bottom of the editor are two tabs, one which says "design" and the other "HTML". Click on the "HTML" tab. Then click in the white area of the editor (so the cursor is showing) and then paste your HTML.

Like all WYSIWYG editors, they don't like us hand coders, and WYS is often not WYG. Plus it thinks it's smarter than you and likes to mess around with your code. Also they're all prone to putting in a lot of unnecessary garbage tags if you do any tweaking from the "design" side.

I would suggest writing your code in a simple editior like HTMLkit which is free, and use it to preview the end result in whatever browser you want. THEN, paste the whole thing into Auctiva and save it.

I downloaded I.E., Mozilla, Netscape6 and 7, Firefox, and Opera, and I check my templates on all of them. Rule of thumb: Write your HTML for Firefox and then do your kludges for I.E. Like centering, for example.

YMMV.


Hi, I write html all the time. I designed my own template to look like the store template that I chose for my store. But when I try to save it to make life easier, I get a bunch of errors and it won't let me save. I understand having the WYSIWYG for those who are not familiar or have very little experience with code, but I just want to save my template the way it is. I host my own images, and I think that is a lot of the problem. I only upload the freebie. The rest are on my own web server. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to pull this off without errors.
The Auctiva Custom Template page shows the grey box. It says HTML in tiny letter on the bottom of the Design page. So, I am guessing that is where you paste your HTML. Then, you can switch to Text Mode page which shows you how the template will look right - not the other way around?

Still not getting this.
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Binghamton:
quote:
Originally posted by lachi0820:
Hello, I'm new to creating a template using html and was wondering where I would paste the html when I am creating a new listing. I read many previous Q&A but am still confused... please advise. Thank you.


Hi. Open the "Create Custom Templates" page under the "Listing" tab (http://www.auctiva.com/listings/template_createcustom.aspx) . That rectangular gray-bordered box that is the biggest thing on the page is the editor. Down at the bottom of the editor are two tabs, one which says "design" and the other "HTML". Click on the "HTML" tab. Then click in the white area of the editor (so the cursor is showing) and then paste your HTML.

Like all WYSIWYG editors, they don't like us hand coders, and WYS is often not WYG. Plus it thinks it's smarter than you and likes to mess around with your code. Also they're all prone to putting in a lot of unnecessary garbage tags if you do any tweaking from the "design" side.

I would suggest writing your code in a simple editior like HTMLkit which is free, and use it to preview the end result in whatever browser you want. THEN, paste the whole thing into Auctiva and save it.

I downloaded I.E., Mozilla, Netscape6 and 7, Firefox, and Opera, and I check my templates on all of them. Rule of thumb: Write your HTML for Firefox and then do your kludges for I.E. Like centering, for example.

YMMV.


Hi there,

About the first paragraph with the click-able link to open the editor...there are no two tabs on the bottom. There is the words "Design Editor" which clicks you to the "Text Mode" page. In teeny, tiny words at the bottom of the Design Editor page it says "Note: What you enter here will be interpreted as HTML" is all.
It's not that I can't figure out how to use the editor. It's the problem with having errors once it is in there. In other words, it does'nt like the fact that I don't use "description", or "description and images", etc. I just code it in.
Oh, well, guess no one can help me. I will just have to keep copy/pasting into the listings the whole template!
Background colors are typically coded in the html directly. in "liquid blue" and the button styles are actually images tags (This method is specifically done so the tags such as Description, Shipping etc. do not get altered.) You can choose to NOT use the image tags and instead use pure text, change the font color, size and font style, but not everyone out there is going to have what you choose.

If you have a specific design in mind based off Liquid Blue, you can always contact the Auctiva Design Team and discuss a custom template design just for your use.
Hi,

Once I have made my custom template how do I use it on my new listing?

If i click on 'Select Template' it goes to a list of Auctiva templates and I can't find mine, not even if I do the search for the keywords I entered, quick response needed please!

Neil
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Binghamton:
quote:
Originally posted by lachi0820:
Hello, I'm new to creating a template using html and was wondering where I would paste the html when I am creating a new listing. I read many previous Q&A but am still confused... please advise. Thank you.


Hi. Open the "Create Custom Templates" page under the "Listing" tab (http://www.auctiva.com/listings/template_createcustom.aspx) . That rectangular gray-bordered box that is the biggest thing on the page is the editor. Down at the bottom of the editor are two tabs, one which says "design" and the other "HTML". Click on the "HTML" tab. Then click in the white area of the editor (so the cursor is showing) and then paste your HTML.

Like all WYSIWYG editors, they don't like us hand coders, and WYS is often not WYG. Plus it thinks it's smarter than you and likes to mess around with your code. Also they're all prone to putting in a lot of unnecessary garbage tags if you do any tweaking from the "design" side.

I would suggest writing your code in a simple editior like HTMLkit which is free, and use it to preview the end result in whatever browser you want. THEN, paste the whole thing into Auctiva and save it.

I downloaded I.E., Mozilla, Netscape6 and 7, Firefox, and Opera, and I check my templates on all of them. Rule of thumb: Write your HTML for Firefox and then do your kludges for I.E. Like centering, for example.

YMMV.


red tag is good editor, if I can help
Hi, custom tags are used, they are substituted by the corresponding seller details pages which you have filled in details for.

If there is no information for a particular tag then nothing is inserted in it's place, the result is the same as if the tag itself was not there.

All you have to do is put those tags in your Frontpage generated listing, you can see what ones are available from the cretae/customise template editor pages.
I know I must be dumb...but I have loaded the templates but how do I get the information in the heading where they go? It only shows the description heading and none of the others. I don't know how to get them in. I have the profiles set up. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE.
Thanks in advance.
Hi,

If you upload your logo to Auctiva, there is a selection on the template toolbar to insert an Auctiva hosted image. That will embed the code for the image at your desired point in the template code, using the HTML <img scr="URL of Image">

Danno

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
×
×
×
×