Skip to main content

You are correct, the hex # I gave you for the mouseover effect is much softer than the logo colors...it matches the background color of the measurement table.

May be we should just use soft grays, so that they go with the template banner?

Did you see my ? above on putting the measurement and description table into the description box on the 1 page lister form vs. into the template itself?

I don't know how I will enter each item's measurements and description if the table is in the template, and not in the 1 page lister?

What is this sophie box your are inventing?
Hi,

Those changes are on the practiceboard (same link as prior).

On the tables, etc for Descriptio, Yes, they would probably work best by insertion in the one-page lister. The green field is narrower than the prior. I can expand the template width to compensate. I would suggest some additional changes to that piece to help.

Danno
Hi,

The backlight effect will "visually" show as a 2 pixel border around each thumb. I can turn the border to any color. I was using the rose-pink to compliment the green for your logo / Store colors.

The only problem with the narrow green was the box with the models measurements. It squishes too small to be readable. I assume it could be redone. I would also rework the table to use white and grey background and better space arrangement. The green background then serves to anchor those elements. I can rework the table for demo.

Danno

Edit: I agree with your last comment. I work the exact pixel measurements first, then I build. I did a rough-layout last night before bed.
No, I can't redo the model measurement pic...I had the gal that did the banner make that, and I don't have a resizer, so widen the whole table.

Your suggestions for reworking the measurement sound good to me if you have time!

So would you then save the measurement table code separately so I can copy it to the one page lister? Or how does that work?

Do you still have time yet this evening to finish this?

I am busy trying to get listings done to launch tonight for the big Thanksgiving weekend endings.
What if you make the enlarged photo a bit less wide, so you have the amt of room you need for the measurement table (& about model pic) to fit properly?

I see that float effect, but I liked it all green or if you think we don't need the green just a soft gray will tie into everything else. I am thinking I don't need the green...I kind of like the monochromatic look and let the pics do the talking...my clients have the attention span of a gnat!
Hi,

Let me see how much scale-up the Model box needs to become readable, and then work with resizing options. I'm designing up to 928px width to accomodate centering in eBay's New Design listing page. I believe your banner can scale-up, as part of any change.

I can appreciate the monochromatic too, as it does lessen any detraction from the article. I am focusing on a "retail look", instead of the traditional frilly templates.

I'm off for awhile, but will try to see what I can do before 9 AM tomorrow. I'm better with coffee challenge design. Smile

Danno
Good morning sunshine!

I jumped the gun on using the template and here is the link to one of the auctions I posted with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=013

As you can see, the old measurement table you coded separately fits perfectly into the area you designated for it in the template, so I don't think you have to fool with it? (I am using the description table in the one page lister form.)

My observations:

The color change effect doesn't really work, because if there are less pics than the number of placeholders, the boxes show up with the color gray in the auction - which is distracting, so probably should remove the color change on mouseover and leave it white.

The auction doesn't open with the large pic being filled in...shouldn't it?

Removal of the red background around the shipping and payment info will be more effective.

Deb
Hi,

The banner can expand to fit the middle sections width. The current width is 952px, which does exceed the eBay New Design listing page. If you can look at that listing in New Design at 1024 x 768 screen resolution, it should have a horizontal scrollbar at page bottom due to the width.

The model-box doesn't seem to allow any reduction without some loss of readability. It's width is dictating the page limits.

Options:

1. I could remove one vertical column of thumbs and drop from 15 to 10.

2. Reduce the main pic and thumbs to achieve page fit.

Danno
Hi Deb,

Following your comments and suggestions, I took the option to remove effects. I increased width to 928px. I also redid colors to monochromatic and tried to match the grey in the Model box for the table and the lower background.

Here's the result.

http://practicewriter.com/vu/?52D1F

Danno

Oh...I also opted to fill the thumbs by column instead of row. That should give a better fill effect next to the large image, now that the backgrounds are removed. I noted you used 10 pics on that prior, so 5 10 or 15 in a shoot would now provide a filled look.
Hi Deb,

The only test I haven't done is run it through the Auctiva one-page lister to see if the tags are fully working. My code tester gives a clean bill. It's been checked in IE7, Firefox 3, and Safari 3.2.

The code includes the Description piece with <!--- comments --> to denote the beginning and end of that section. The [DESCRIPTION] tag also is commented out. Just need to copy the code to the template editor, remove /cut the Description section piece to the one-page, and uncomment the tag. That piece is now a stand alone TABLE for that right-element. The smoke-white background is in the template code, as is the font family. The entire template uses Verdana, with fallback to Arial, et. al. Font sizes you see are set in appropriate sections.

The Auctiva Preview should show whether the tags are working. Their was a typo on the main picture tag. That's why it failed. I also fixed the main pic, so it wouldn't droop if the right side box runs long.

The "Essentials" table is flexible. I added the "condition" and split the table for measurements on top. Seem like I recall seeing more possible measurements on other seller's listings. I also labeled the top of the section, so everything is easy to find.

There are many online tutorials, texts, and courses.

I've been coding since the 8th grade, back in the 60's. The arthritis and bifocals slow me down a little these days. hehe Big Grin

Glad you like it. If you test it live, post back the listing number.

Danno
Hi,

Just noticed....

If you want the template to page-center, add align="center" to the very first/top table on the template. That's why it's shifted to page-left on the practiceboard and that test listing you did.

I added the code to the prior for view.

http://practicewriter.com/vu/?52D1F

You have a good one too.

Danno

Edit: I finally found got my color detector software reinstalled and the background on the Model Box is "#C5C6CB". I was close. I used "#C4C4C6", as I could tell it wasn't exact gray and was slightly bluish tint.

The six digit code is Red - Green - Blue (RGB) with each two digits in the sequence the color intensity from 00 to FF. Black is all 000000. White is FFFFFF. Gray is all three exacty same, e.g. 2C2C2C is dark gray.

The neon green and rose on your upper banner are 79E262 and F655A6 at their brightest central points. The lower banner has alot of diffusion, so tough to latch onto a single color for each.

If you'd like I can update the practiceboard to get the gray perfect.

Danno
Last edited by danno
Hi Danno!
If you have time to tweak the colors, that would be appreciated.

I am planning on launching some new auctions this evening around 9-10 p.m. EST.

I just entered measurement/description info into the description box on the 1 pg lister. Saved and previewed, and the description is not showing up in the preview.

The [DESCRIPTION] tag shows in the table you created for it as the first thing. Perhaps I cut and pasted incorrectly?

What do you need to see to take a look at it? I can email you my auctiva sign in info, and you could take a look directly at the template I am attempting to use.

Deb
Edit: never mind on the description table not showing up correctly in preview. I did catch the copying of the code in the wrong place, and have corrected it.

You wrote:

If you want the template to page-center, add align="center" to the very first/top table on the template. That's why it's shifted to page-left on the practiceboard and that test listing you did.

I added the code to the prior for view.

Not sure what you are referring to above? The template seemed to be correct to me?

On the colors, let me see what I can do to tweak them myself, as I already set up a template in my saved listings to correspond with each category I list in, and if you do it, I would have to go in and modify each of those templates, and I don't believe I will have time before this evening's auctions, as I have to go finish tiling a bathroom!

Deb
Hi Deb,

I didn't have alot of time to do extensive work with the lower section until this morning.

What do you think of this?

http://practicewriter.com/vu/?52F16

The USPS is hyperlinked to their Track and Confirm. Note mouseover effect.

I was at your Etsy page and found that mini-Logo. Power Seller logo is also a GIF (I know you're not one, yet. Big Grin ).

I resection the group and added a Return Policy (an eBay must) using Seller Details [TERMS_OF_SERVICE] tag.

The Shipping is now a table you can cut and paste to the Seller Details (like the Description) to get that split effect.

Note, the "at a glance" ability to see:

1. You use USPS and "Track and Confirm"

2. You have both US and International with quick to find info

3. You use Priority Mail for both and have Free Delivery Confirmation in US

Oh...and I'm testing GIF animation packages and thought the Neon look on the upper banner was just too tempting, not to have some fun. And, you might consider free shipping at some point with $100 minimum.

The About Me and Contact headers are now hyperlinked with Mouseover store-green effect to your About Me page and Ask Seller Question.

This is probably more than you wanted today, but it does add alot to the lower section.

Do you still need help with the color problem?

Danno
Hi there!

WOW! If you keep beautifying my template, I'm never going to get anything listed, LOL! Actually, a slight nap was in order after tiling, so I am just getting back on...and it is almost your bedtime!

Everything you've taken the time to add is fantastic!

I will add the return policy when I start using this new one. Seems I did read something about it becoming a requirement, even if the return policy is no returns.

As for the free shipping, I do have some listings running with free shipping right now - I just picked some at random while I thought about how I really want to offer it. ebay is really pushing for it, and I know the customers look for it as well. I am wondering if, rather than a dollar amount, more than one purchase might make more sense business wise, as well as generate a little higher ending prices on the $9.99 start auctions? My thoughts: Have fixed price items, mixed with $9.99 auctions. That way, each potential customer will (hopefully) bid on the lower priced items to get to their multiple purchase threshold. So, buy any 3, get free shipping (US only) ?? Ha, that messes up your neon sign!

And, since you are enjoying playing with this template...

I would really like to have a way to have the customers join a mailing list. I've seen it in other's listings (and I really believe it is the key to their high ending prices and so much activity on the listings)

Join our mailing list, be the first to see new offerings, specials, etc. But, I don't know how to add that to a template! But, I'll bet you do!!

OK, I am going to try and get some stuff started still tonight.

Deb
Hi Deb,

This next round wasn't for immediate use; just playing with ideas. It took some time for me to walk through your listings, About Me, and Etsy to get ideas and add/create the correct elements. I wanted to make certain you had something for Saturday/Sunday listing, which is why I stopped and locked/tested what I had for Phase I. It was just the timing and the rush to get you something useful.

On this (Phase II) I wanted to give you enhancements on the lower section, and maybe some future suggestions (reserved options). That's why I was playfully adding things like the Neon sign and the PowerSeller logo. That neon helped pull-down the colors in the upper banner with a "retro" concept, i.e. neon being associated with the retro look. That neon tub text is actually a Font, so the sign was fairly easy to make. Took about 30 minutes. It was also a good test of the product, and I did find some problems during tests.

Most web sites are offering free shipping with minimum purchase, which eBay does support in shipping calculation settings (preferences). I would suggest examining methods that work for combined in checkout without manual invoicing or refunds.

Hmmm....I think the mailing list might be tied to the "favorite sellers" feature. I'll have to check and see if that's only for Store. That's a good add. Big Grin

Danno

Edit: Why or what requirement is causing you to have more than a single version of this template at Auctiva?
Last edited by danno
Good evening!

No, I didn't even try to use your latest version with the lower half of enhancements.

The reason I use more than 1 template:

I set up a blank template for: dresses, skirts, tops, jackets and coats, etc.

So, if I am listing a dress, the category is selected and the correct shipping charge is already saved; all I have to do is add the description & measurements, and then the pics and I'm done with that item.
Hi Deb,

My memory on the "mailing list" was STORE feature. I think that's correct, but I'll have to do some more checking. Here's the eBay info page on the feature:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/email-newsletter.html

Did you know you can move the Auctiva Store Window inside the template? Here's why I strategically place that secondary store bannner in the middle of the lower section:

http://practicewriter.com/vu/?5302D

Oh, and that's a marquee doing the sales pitch to "buy 4" and "Great Deals" on my Store Window.

If we can work through changes, I'll try to lock tne next set. I did spot a few minor glitches on that listing you did last night and am making code corrections.

Danno

Edit: And, your Street is now "zoned". Big Grin
Last edited by danno
You just keep making it better and better!

I am thinking about the free shipping lure I want to use. I am going to sleep on it, but I am leaning towards BINs get free shipping. Of course, ebay gets 12% of the new 30 day BIN in the clothing cat, and there is always Paypal's cut, so the 3 elements together add up to a big bite on a $40 item.

Too bad about the email list feature. I will ponder whether or not $16/month is worth it just to get that feature added.

I like where you positioned the auctiva gallery, we will keep that!

This is so exciting, working on the template with you! I know, get a life, LOL!
Hi,

Glad you like that zone banner.

I also thought about exchanging the "f" with a "p", as in, fashion is my pashion [sic]. Yes, I know it's spelled passion. It's the word-play on a young, sophisticated girl's passion for fashion with the combo-word pashion. I am assuming that's your target buyer.

The concept for the lower portion of the bottom section is "fashion magazine page".

Not bad for a 55 yo grandfather...hehe Wink

Danno

Edit: What is the Font Family for your logo, i.e. it uses the tilted "e"? It might help this possibility, but it's not too bad already.

http://practicewriter.com/vu/?5302D

Now how about this idea for the internal text:

"Indulge your passion for fashion."

or

"Surrender to your passion for fashion."

Big Grin Are we having fun yet?

We need to talk about the "photo problems".
Last edited by danno

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.