Skip to main content

Long story short. We got a notice in the mail confirming Change of Address from the post office.

We did not put in a change of address so I called the number on the letter and got nowhere Confused

You mean to tell me ANYONE can just put in a change of address with no proof of who you are?

There has got to be some privacy law that prevents someone from doing this?

Anyway the person on the phone was useless, they have no record of anything. Its all at the local office they said. And I have to personally go in there and cancel the FW of my mail.

How can someone just send in a FW request and get my mail FWed but I have to physically go to the PO to stop it?

What a PITA Roll Eyes
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry to hear about that!

I realized again how easy it is to go to the PO and forward mail when I did it a couple of weeks ago for our move. I did not have to show ID and I think I even offered to.

And yes, it is ALL at the local office which is a pain in the keester. I ordered my three month supply of meds over 2 weeks ago from PA and it never made it to our old address and now it is just circling somewhere out there. It is probably sitting at the PO where we use to live but I hate driving up there all the time to try and find my mail!! For those of us who actually WANT their mail forwarded in an appropriate and timely fashion, it does not seem to happen either.

I guess at the very least the USPS does send a notice to both old and new addresses in case there is a mistake or in your case, foul play. Eek

Hope the rest of your week goes better and I hope to get my meds soon!! Smile

Marcia
quote:
Originally posted by wahm922:
Long story short. We got a notice in the mail confirming Change of Address from the post office.

We did not put in a change of address so I called the number on the letter and got nowhere Confused

You mean to tell me ANYONE can just put in a change of address with no proof of who you are?

There has got to be some privacy law that prevents someone from doing this?

Anyway the person on the phone was useless, they have no record of anything. Its all at the local office they said. And I have to personally go in there and cancel the FW of my mail.

How can someone just send in a FW request and get my mail FWed but I have to physically go to the PO to stop it?

What a PITA Roll Eyes

Danielle,

That's scary as all get out. Just think what kinda information they could've gotten.

Gosh, you're right that can be done. Perhaps I should (and you too)notify Tallahassee as to how this rule can be changed..or notify your local offical that has a government office in Tallahasse to see if the rule can be changed.

I want it to be like gramma9196 stated..they have to show pic ID. That makes sense.

Really scary!
Donna
unfortunately, that's a flaw in the system and many people have had their mail forwarded against their knowledge Frown

sorry to hear that it's happened to you, danielle.

now the question is who did it and why? was it someone out to wreak havoc? someone out to steal your mail? or a simple error in the address when filed? or a clerk error?

anyway, again, sorry to hear Frown
Here is the scary part . . . ANYONE can do this using the USPS website Eek

This request was put in only for my husband's business name, my personal mail was not affected. I can't get any info unless I physically go to the local post office which is a bunch of BS.

They can allow someone to steal my mail using a simple form on their website but they won't allow me to stop it without making a personal appearance?

Darn straight someone is gunna hear about this loud and clear. People worry about identity theft, this sure seems like a quick and easy way to get somebody's info!
quote:
Originally posted by wayoutwest:
sounds like the PO needs to launch an investigation for mail tampering on people at address mail was forwarded to.

best of luck!

Wouldn't it be horrible if it was just someone that had a "grudge" and felt it was would be funny to change the email address to some parking lot and not an official confirmed address?

I would almost be 100% proof positive that USPS site saves IP addresses of who signs into do the address change and I'd demand to know that IP address of the computer.

Danielle, you KNOW they have this information. Push for the info..someone tampered with your personal mail. If a person were to mess with the mail that comes to my home mailbox that's considered a federal offense..if someone were to try to break into my Post Office Box, that's a federal offense..the same goes for this instance I'd assume, wouldn't you?

Federal Offenses are covered by the FBI, aren't they? Do some Googling for information.

Press this issue and don't let them double-talk you. For good measure, I'd file a police report before going to the Post Office to have in my hand.

I would notify my local government official of this breach of their governement service, too!

My Best,
Donna
[/QUOTE]
Hijacking this thread for uno momento.
I have family in Asheville, are you near there?

Lovely area.

Take care, Donna[/QUOTE]

Ahh... Asheville, God must have been there and called it heaven on earth.. It is such a gourgous place. I stay at a cabin in Candler, about 25 mile from Asheville, up Mt. Pisgah http://www.pisgahinn.com/ My old Principal Mr. Westervelt from Umatilla owns it.

As for where I currently live is just outside of Winston Salem, near Mt. Airy "Home of Mayberry" and "The Andy Griffith Show". My Wife Tonya will be relocating us.. lol.. to Lansing Michigan next month to attend Law School there. They I think we want to move back South and warm back up.

As always, Great chatting with you, Donna.

Ciao
Danielle,

Just a little info for you from my recent experience with forwarding mail.

I tried to change my address via the USPS website but they actually ask you for a credit card at the end so that they can verify the address on file with the CC company with the address you are changing your address from to make sure it is you. I think they charge maybe a dollar to verify the address, just enough to get the info from the credit card company.

Most people do not know until the very end of doing it online that they want a credit card. I almost did it but then decided not to give out my CC number to the PO online (Yeah, I know I still am a little funny that way...of course if it was Belk or Macy's I would have no problem Smile ).

Just thought I would give you that info re: how to change addresses online.

Marcia
Mike,

So you are moving to Michigan from NC? You know we are in Charlotte right now after just moving from Buffalo, NY last year.

I have a closet full of winter coats if you need them. Wink Up north, winter coats are part of your wardrobe and I just could not bear to get rid of our nice coats when moving here so here they hang in our coat closet.

Wishing you and your wife much success in Michigan while she attends school!

---Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute... Smile

Marcia
Marcia, thank you for clearing that up. I feel better knowing that this can't be don online. I went to the website and checked it out but of course I didn't actually fill anything out so I did not know they asked for a CC.

I am also thankful that the PO sends out a confirmation letter like the one I received otherwise we would never have known!

Thanks again Wink
quote:
Originally posted by eWonders:

Hijacking this thread for uno momento.
I have family in Asheville, are you near there?

Lovely area.

Take care, Donna[/QUOTE]

Ahh... Asheville, God must have been there and called it heaven on earth.. It is such a gourgous place. I stay at a cabin in Candler, about 25 mile from Asheville, up Mt. Pisgah http://www.pisgahinn.com/ My old Principal Mr. Westervelt from Umatilla owns it.

As for where I currently live is just outside of Winston Salem, near Mt. Airy "Home of Mayberry" and "The Andy Griffith Show". My Wife Tonya will be relocating us.. lol.. to Lansing Michigan next month to attend Law School there. They I think we want to move back South and warm back up.

As always, Great chatting with you, Donna.

Ciao[/QUOTE]
BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Michigan in the winter!

I know right where you are. Pisgah. Gorgeous!

I love visiting Asheville. It's really moved along in population since the first time I visited in 79.

My mother/fatherinlaw live in Asheville. My brother/sisterinlaw have been in Asheville since he graduated from dental school in Birmingham (home of Southern Living)in 79. They have twin daughters, one goes to Lenoir-Rhyne (not that far from you) where she graduates this coming year with a teaching degree. The other twin is following in her Dad's dental footsteps and is attending another school.

Enjoy the move and who knows you might just fall in love with Michigan. It's been said of me and I believe it to be true...I wouldn't make it outside of the Mason-Dixon line. <smile>
I'll mail you some grits. HA!

Take care, Donna
quote:
Originally posted by Suthrnjewl:
Suthrnjewl<---experienced snow in Lakeland FL in 1976

I remember that snow in 76'.... I was having swim practice in Leesburg that night... we thought it was soooo cool, swimming in the snow.

We swam in the winter at Silver Glenn Springs in the Ocala Forest. Because the water was always 78'.... funny seeing aligators swim beneath you as you swim over them.

Donna, do you remember Silver Glenn?
Wow D, sorry to hear this.

ANYONE can put in a Change of address, you just go in and get the forms, fill it out with name, new and old address's and sign it then you mail it postage free to your old post office. You do not nor have you ever had to show id for this.

The post office then sends a letter normally to the new address asking you to verify, the ask you to look over the form and if everything is correct there is no need to do anything else.

It's a diffent flaw.
I'm NOT pointing fingers and I did not post this with any intent to do so. To be honest the thought hadn't crossed my mind until others mentioned it.

This had nothing to do with where my husband works, it is my home address with his business name on it. At this point it is up to him to do what he needs to do.

My husband has a website and yes the address is on it, his partner hired some nitwit to desingn the site and we have repeatetly asked for our address to be removed.

Anyone could have done this!

I just found it strange how the USPS could allow something like this to be done so easliy but make it very hard to un-do or get any information on why it happened.

Confused
This is a federal offense! Make sure that you do something about it. CALL your local PO or 1/800-ASK-USPS and get the phone number for yur local PO Investagator. Also talk to your local police department - they will SOMETIMES get involved or at least get the PO moving on it.

Tempering with mail is a FEDERAL Offense!

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.