Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi missdlw,

Thanks for helping to bring this to our attention. We have just started to receive warnings of this nature when uploading images through Firefox or Chrome since the latest Java update and our technical team is currently looking into what we may be able to prevent these warnings from occurring.

We do not currently believe this warning is indicative of a legitimate security risk but, if you would prefer not to click the “Don't Block” option on the prompt, you could potentially work around the issue for now by switching to the Internet Explorer browser (with which the uploader does not use Java) or using the Basic HTML Uploader.

If you would like to update your account such that the Basic HTML Uploader is used when you upload from the listing creation page, just mouse over the “My Account” tab, select the “Acct Preferences” option under Settings, check the box next to “Use HTML Uploader on One-Page Lister” and then click the “Update Account Preferences” button below.

I will update this thread as additional information on this new warning becomes available. We apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.

-Mike
Hi missdlw,

We have since had a chance to look into this issue further and discovered that these warnings have started to occur due to a conflict between the new security approach Oracle presented in Java 7 Update 21 and the current version of the Java based uploader that is available on our site.

The combination of signed and unsigned code which is being labeled as “potentially unsafe” by Java is part of the third party uploader we are using so we cannot address this issue on our own, but we have reached out to the developer of the uploader for further assistance.

For the time being, you can potentially prevent these warnings from being generated when you upload from Firefox or Chrome disabling the Mixed code security verification seeing that is enabled within Java 7 Update 21 by default.

If you would like to do this, you will first need to open your Java Control Panel using the instructions on the following page of the Java website: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/javaconsole.xml

From within your Java Control Panel, you can disable this setting by clicking the “Advanced” tab, checking the radio button next to “Disable verification (not recommended)” in the section called “Mixed code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification” and then clicking the “OK” button.

I hope this helps.

-Mike
Auctiva, all of this needs to be addressed...soon.....

Since I have been having some major computer/internet issues including spoofs that appeared to be from auctiva but were verified as NOT from auctiva.

I have been told by several reputable computer repair experts that NOT updating to latest browser update, java, etc., can create security issues for us. I specifically logged into auctiva site showing them what was showing...they were astounded that this is an issue and said YES, it is a RISK everytime I use it.

So internet explorer we can't update for our security, foxfire & mozilla have issues...is safari working properly. If so Can Safari be loaded to a regular pc?

Also, trying to load photos with foxfire...and now even if I click unblock it says no proxy server found so will not let me load from there any longer.

This is same with google chrome. I have cleared the trash out....so that can't be issue.

Thanks for your help with updating so we can list without worrying or juggling back & forth between ie, mozilla and chrome.
Last edited by lookandbuyme
Hi lookandbuyme,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you have been experiencing. As I mentioned previously, we are working with the developer of our Java based uploader to address the issue that is causing the latest update of Java to produce these warnings, but I am still uncertain when we may be able to get a solution in place at this point in time.

I certainly agree that it is generally advisable to use the latest versions of programs such as Java and any browsers you use, and you should not have to go back to using a previous versions of any such programs in order to use the Auctiva Uploader successfully.

If you have the latest version of Java installed and you are using the Auctiva Uploader through Firefox or Chrome, you can potentially prevent these warnings from being displayed by disabling the “Mixed code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification” setting within your Java console using the instructions in my previous reply.

On the other hand, if you would prefer not to bypass or disable these Java warnings, you can also upload your images through Internet Explorer as Ed mentioned. Since the warnings are Java specific and the Auctiva Uploader does not rely on Java when used through Internet Explorer, you should not be presented with similar warnings.

Although our site is not optimized for use with Safari, the Auctiva Uploader also uses Java if used through the Safari browser. Therefore, you would be presented with these same Java warnings when uploading through Safari unless you have disabled the setting that produces those warnings in your Java Console.

I am not aware of any technical issue that would cause you to receive “no proxy server found” error when attempting to upload images into your account, but I do not believe such errors are associated with the Java related the original posted mentioned.

If you continue to receive those error messages when attempting to upload images into your account, please contact our Customer Support team by mousing over the “Help” tab and selecting the “File Support Case” option and we will work with you to troubleshoot the issue on an individual basis.

-Mike
Thanks for response...I have spent a lot of time and money trying to figure out what to do here. I showed the repair personnel at 4 different totally unconnected places the link. All said NO, one said HE__ NO!!!! that I am playing with fire to do this. Since I am probably going to purchase new computer...I do not want to disable things that could breach my security on it and probably void any warranty on it.

I specifically had them them click the link for this and all agreed this was not something anyone should do. I have been told by repair people in different places NOT to sandbox this that is breaches my security. I was told is it never safe to sandbox rather than have in trusted. Now is the information I am getting inaccurate?

Now...question...what is the deal with Internet explorer 10....I have been told that I need to update to that that I am not secure on this computer using without update....is auctiva system updated so that is useable at this point??? For listing and photos.

I am obviously confused on mixed advise with this sandbox vs trusted.

So if IE 10 is ready to roll, I will use that, even though IE has its own issues.

Thanks for you help, I will also write to support as issue is still going on.
Ok. I can't upload in Google Chrome (JAVA security issue). It says "could not load JAVA platform SE 7 U17." Also, I'm unable to upload in Internet Explorer too. I get this message: The ActiveX uploader control has not been installed.

I don't know what to trust. Should I install ActiveX uploader? Is this what Auctiva uses in IE?
I can't upload pictures anywhere. Please help.
Mike, I notice Ed mentions NOT to update to IE 10, which has not been addressed by Auctiva, so that means we could have security issues if not updated. Yet we should not switch to it to do our listings?????

What is problem with IE 10? It is no longer that new. This is a real problem as uploading photos and listing is becoming a browser hopping experience. Can we list without problems if we update to 10. This was introduced in, I believe, September or October 2012.

Now... I am going to be brutally honest here but since I have gone full circle...from here, you recommended I file with support, support tells me to clear the trash, I write them again, then they send me here????? I feel like dog chasing my tail.

I DID write support spending lots of time putting in as many details as I can think of. My first response back is below:

quote:
I was not able to reproduce the issue you are reporting with Chrome or Firefox browser and we have not had any other reports of this issue from other users. This leads me to believe the issue might be browser related. I recommend clearing cache of your Chrome and Firefox browser and restart them. Then see if the issue persists.
After this was instructions on clearing.

Now why in the world would she put that there are no other reports of this issue for other users????

So that proved to be waste of my time. Now why in the world this is the fix for every issue I will never know. Should I have put that I cleared yes, I should have, perhaps a button when we write support should be included asking IF we have done that, as is saves a back & forth.

Now...I then write support again asking....soooo are you telling me that my problem is clearing cache and cookies?? And there have been NO other Java related issues with the uploader? Pls. let me know if I am only one with this issue.

Here is main part of response back:

quote:
Our IT team has confirmed that these warnings have started to occur due to a new security approach introduced with Java 7 Update 21 that is conflicting with Auctivas image uploader.

We have posted a work around on the following thread of our Community Forum.

https://community.auctiva.com/e...8609941/m/4627092036

I am back at square one. Help??? Please...do not ask me to write support, as obviously, they did not even read the thread they sent me to.

IS AUCTIVA COMPATIBLE FULLY with Internet Explorer 10??? IF so I can go there to list.

Thanks very much.
I went ahead and disabled the Mixed code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification setting and for now I am having no issues.

I had updated Java again a few days ago and once again it was outdated. This is Java (not auctiva) constantly updating. I realize it is for protection but it is a big reason i so intensely dislike programs that use it. within 24 hours of updating some of my news articles were unable to display java unless i clicked on plug in stuff.
Since I did do the disable the first time this came up....shortly after that is when I started MAJOR problems and my anti-virus and malware were showing trojans & malware even when scanning 2 and 3 times a day, so went back and enabled at advise of several repair people.

All agreed that ANY security issues should always be updated and NEVER disabled.

********Another issue that is big since I am thinking new computer ...I have been told by several stores I have visited that disabling this or other security measures and not updating to latest security, totally VOIDS ANY warranty you have on your computer...whether it be STORE, OUTSIDE VENDOR OR MANUFACTURER warranty.

I did "unblock this time", several times in last few days and notification of proxy server came up and would not let me load. Auctiva support did not address the proxy server at all so not sure how that plays in, as that is all new.

However, auctiva needs ONE browser AT least that is fully functioning.

Ok...here is latest word from support when I mentioned they were dancing around the issue of IE 10 working in all functions.

quote:
I would like to inform you that there are two versions of IE 10. There is a touch mode version, which will have issues with our uploader. And they offer an option called "view on desktop". If you use that version of the browser the uploader should work for you. For details on how to use that option please check your Windows help files.

If you use "view on desktop" version of IE 10 then you should be able to create and post your items to eBay, upload images without any issue.

I am confused???...there is only one version of desktop internet explorer 10. There is NO web based online version is there? Not sure what auctiva is saying, any ideas??

Auctiva....are you saying it is totally SAFE, no worries, to go to sandbox versus trusted?

Auctiva, what is status of IE 10 and/or IE 10 desktop? Is it FULLY functioning or not? I mean photos, editor, all functions tools for listing etc.,

Hate to be pushy...but really feeling like I am getting thrown back & forth like a volleyball on this.
Hi lookandbuyme (& Others),

If you are running the Windows 8 operating system, there are 2 different “versions” of Internet Explorer 10.0 available. The one referred to as “touch screen” mode is intended to support the touch screen functionality introduced with Windows 8 and the other opens on your desktop and functions like existing versions of Internet Explorer.

I suspect Ed's recommendation not to use Internet Explorer 10.0 is based on the fact that the old description editor which is still enabled in some accounts will not load in that browser, but the newer description editor which is in use within most accounts should function properly within Internet Explorer 10.0.

As long as you are using the newer version of the description editor, you should be able to use the desktop version of Internet Explorer 10.0 without any difficulties. I am not sure if there will be anything we can do to make the uploader work on the touch screen version of Internet Explorer 10.0.

There is currently an issue with the spell check feature on the editor that is causing it to generate an error when used through Internet Explorer 10.0, but we expect to be able to resolve that issue with our next site update which will likely take place within the next couple weeks.

It should be safe to use the Auctiva Uploader while the “Mixed code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification” within your Java Console is disabled, but I assume Java must provide that setting for a reason so disabling that setting could potentially cause you not to be protected against other potential threats you may encounter on the internet.

As I mentioned, if you would prefer not to bypass or disable these Java warnings, you should be able to leave that setting enabled within your Java Console and upload your images through Internet Explorer without encountering similar behavior - including Internet Explorer 10.0.

Finally, I apologize about all the confusion surrounding the support case you opened on this subject. I will follow up with you about this through your support case a little bit later today and do my best to clear things up.

-Mike
The old editor works fine with IE 10. It is the new editor that has issues and not just with IE 10.
And this is not an issue with the old editor nor does lookandbuyme have the old editor as she has stated dozens of time in previous other posts.

And lookandbuyme is 100% correct. It is "not safe" to disable Java unless you are only using the internet to read e-mail and nothing else. That should not even be advised unless the person advising is willing to pay for computer repairs, tech support etc. Disabling Java can make you vulnerable to major problems some of which you may not even be able to get fixed.

Putting our computers at risk for a work-around is not the answer.

This issue is resolved by Auctiva updating their system accordingly when there are java updates etc just as every other site including eBay does. This is part of the type of business that Auctiva is and is required for it to function properly.

If the uploader is a "third party app" and they, whoever owns the uploader, refuse to keep up to date with Java and other updates to be able to function properly then it is time for Auctiva to find another uploader that will function properly.

6+ months with the same issues on this is ridiculous.
Geez...could we make all of this any more difficult to understand???

I do not have windows 8 as it just came out a few months back (thank goodness because it would be totally in mess I am in now with a new system).

I have on the computer I use most of the time Windows 7 which is on the support ticket I filed. (from what you are saying unless I am missing something is IF you have WINDOWS 8 you have desktop, my support ticket says I have windows 7 and they said I could use a desktop version?) and I have the newer description editor, (which should sure be known as I have been very vocal about HATING the newer one and still think it was 100% better than what I have dealt with on the newer one, as every time I use a friends old editor I am green with envy but that is another story). However, again, I ask....if the newer one is not Internet Explorer 10 Update ready and the old one is working with it, then WHY in the world are we being forced to risk our security by not updating and disabling things and changing settings? This seems like a simple temporary solution to one of the problems, why force something that is not working down our throats????

****So with Windows 7 is internet explorer update 10 up to speed and ready to use on all functions, loading photos safely, listing editor, and other functions working with that? ****

I do not want to do update and then find it will not work as that is a time waster, and I am very hesitant to keep making changes and undoing things that I know very little about. (but am sure learning the hard expensive way)

I now have a estimates of $275 - $300.00 to fix all of this with no guarantee of finding every tid-bit, (already out $60.00 to one company just for looking at it) others did look-see free. The consensus is security issues by 3 repair companies...I am NOT a happy camper, of these 3 have said that we SHOULD NOT be playing with security settings that they are there for a reason. (4th I have not been back to yet). That ALL updates should be installed. I physically logged into auctiva & showed them how we load pictures in google & chrome, the block unblock when loading pictures and said we should not breach that either that it can be a security problem if we do. I also showed them link and had them read this thread, head shaking about the link to sandbox vs trust. Now maybe they are being overly secure....but I had rather err on side of over secure. My gut feeling is they make a lot of money by us NOT being secure so think they would err on side of under-secure.

Since the only changes I have made to my laptop were auctiva recommended, assuming that they had investigated what we were being told, I can't help but think that has been most of my problem if not all.

Sooooo am a bit concerned about all of this. Others perhaps can learn from my lesson and save some major grief and money.

quote:
It should be safe to use the Auctiva Uploader while the “Mixed code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security verification” within your Java Console is disabled, but I assume Java must provide that setting for a reason so disabling that setting could potentially cause you not to be protected against other potential threats you may encounter on the internet.

This kind of concerns me..."should be safe" has anyone with Auctiva checked with Java to ask this - this "should be"...scares me. I would think Java would be able to provide information from their website saying YES, this is perfectly safe if, in fact, it is safe.

quote:
"I assume Java must provide that setting for a reason so disabling that setting could potentially cause you not to be protected against other potential threats you may encounter on the internet

"I assume" those words frighten me, as assumptions do not protect us. I would think Java personnel should be able to respond to this with accurate information not assumptions. Again, I would think this is a simple YES it is safe or NO it is not safe, you are putting your computer and security at risk.

I hate to be hard nosed about this...but this needs to be ironed out BEFORE I either fix my computer. Plus, for others who are going in and switching things up....while you may not have a problem today...it took me awhile to realize that I "really" did have a problem that HAD to be addressed.

Let me ask you Mike, has Auctiva Corporation done all of this disabling and sandboxing on all of their computers?? My guess, NO!! Would they??? My guess NO!! Do they not update their browsers? My guess YES!! I would like to think that no business does things on should be and assumptions. On your own home personal computer have you done all of this with, Rebecca lists is she disabling things, unblocking, and not updating?

Do I run scans...you bet I do! So that is NOT the problem, my scans are working overtime.

I sure want to know before I get repairs done, as I don't want to do them and then find I am back at step 1.

Thanks
This is so frustrating. So, I uploaded current version of JAVA the other day. Today, I try to upload pics & I'm getting a new warning from JAVA:
Application: com.auctiva.uploader.Image
Java has discovered application components that could indicate a security concern. Contact the application vendor to ensure that it has not been tampered with. It asks: BLOCK or DON'T BLOCK.
This message popped up while using Firefox 20.0.1. Java SE 7 U21
I didn't make a choice to block or not. I ended up opening Internet Explorer 32 & it uploaded my pictures without a warning. What is going on?
I don't know where all the problems are stemming from..auctiva, Java, Firefox or all of the above. Please advise how best & SAFE to use your service. Thanks.
Blocking Java is NOT a good idea and will make your computer vulnerable to other problems some of which can totally disable you computer (worst case senario) or could cost you money in tech services/repairs etc and it will also make you vulnerable to malware etc

Most of us have to browser jump to get various features to function properly.
Example...pictures uploaded using one browser and then you have to switch browser to use the description editor etc etc.

But to answer you question....do not block. You are better off using a different browser to upload your pictures or using the basic uploader. The warnings are there for a reason and no one else4 will pay for repairs or tech service if you ignore the warnings.
Last edited by trinkets

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.